Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Flaming bolts?  (Read 737 times)

Eskielidder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Flaming bolts?
« on: August 21, 2011, 09:06:25 pm »

A question from a workmate, that I don't know the answer. It's such an awesome question that I needed to post it here to find out for sure...

Are you able to build a waterfall outside of a row of fortifications and have marksdwarves fire through it?

If so, can the same be done for magma?

If so.......does it set the bolts on fire?!?!?
so now I'm in a terrifying desert
a nightwing killed 3 of my starting 7 but things are looking up now

Iaksones

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Flaming bolts?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2011, 09:12:47 pm »

If it obstructs line-of-sight it would be a problem... but at least the marksdwarves would get a nice mist!

Edit: Lame. I read the wiki and apparently magma mist is only generated by cave ins (like a piston pump)
« Last Edit: August 21, 2011, 09:15:41 pm by Iaksones »

andyman564

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2011, 09:15:41 pm »

(un)fortunately, magma only generates mist when something caves into it. and the bolts may not be in contact with the magma long enough to ignite...

ninja'd
Yeah.  Thus why I didn't make a trap.  In it's current state the fortress didn't need a trap, the whole damn fortress is a trap.

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2011, 09:20:29 pm »

The bolts might not be in contact with the magma at all. Objects flying through the air usually "don't exist" in between the start and end points.
Never pet a burning dog.

Iaksones

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2011, 09:21:07 pm »

I remember one gentledwarf theorizing about a flaming spear. The idea of modding a material which had an ignition temperature = body temperature got tossed around. If that's possible, surely that would ignite on contact with a goblins pancreas... if it didnt burn the bowyer!

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2011, 09:34:34 pm »

I remember one gentledwarf theorizing about a flaming spear. The idea of modding a material which had an ignition temperature = body temperature got tossed around. If that's possible, surely that would ignite on contact with a goblins pancreas... if it didnt burn the bowyer!
If it lit on body temperature, it'd be over 95 degrees. I doubt it would light up the archer, so that's the reasoning behind it. It would burn when it was INSIDE the enemy...

*puts on sunglasses*
He's gonna have some heart burn!

YEEEEEEAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH

franti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2011, 10:17:35 pm »

Soooooo... if I make a tree to burn at body temp, and turn it into bolts, and the bolts get lodged in a wound, will they catch fire?
Adamantine, Steel, Pig Iron, Iron, Bronze, Bismuth Bronze, Platinum, Brass, Black Bronze, Billon, Rose Gold, Electrum, Bismuth, Aluminum, Gold, Copper, Tin, Sterling Silver, Silver, Nickel, Zinc, Lead, Nickel Silver, Trifle Pewter, Fine Pewter, Lay Pewter.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2011, 10:29:42 pm »

Soooooo... if I make a tree to burn at body temp, and turn it into bolts, and the bolts get lodged in a wound, will they catch fire?
Mhm.

Incendiary rounds, bizatchez.

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2011, 10:32:37 pm »

I believe you can do this with ballistas.
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

Number4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2011, 10:33:39 pm »

Dwarven APITFSDS bolts.
Thanks for the suggestion, but Number4 is correct: [...] it would be easier and more predictable to just be a racist.

Did somebody just rule 34 two veins of metal?

drilltooth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2011, 11:37:20 pm »

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=69205.0  found this in the modding section... don;t recall playing around with it much.
Pinkie pie cancels cook: taken by mood.

Iaksones

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2011, 11:41:22 pm »

There are anecdotes of modded bolts turning buzzards into meteors! Nice!