Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: woo, first Tantrum Spiral  (Read 658 times)

twwolfe

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes ponies for their cuteness
    • View Profile
woo, first Tantrum Spiral
« on: August 21, 2011, 07:14:09 pm »

So, o few dwarves were killed in the first ambush at my current fort. Now, these dwarves were friends with evrrybody, so now everyone is unhappy. then someone gets killed in a fistfight. this person was also friends with everyone, so now all hell has broken loose. the only dwarves who are ok by now are a few loners, and my military who spends most of tier time shut in the danger room.

I've now had 4 mayors in four minutes. at least a dozen dwarves ar in various stages of madness/melancoly. 2 went berserk and were promptly killed by the military, who are very happy about that.

This is rather new for me, because i'm usually good about making sure that my dwarves are safe from all the things that want to kill them.

Fun!

Edit: and now we're up to 5 6 mayors gone
« Last Edit: August 21, 2011, 07:15:52 pm by twwolfe »
There are dwarves that are nothing but useless sacrifices - Miners are not one of them.

Number4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: woo, first Tantrum Spiral
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2011, 07:20:14 pm »

Another satisfied customer.

Try to keep everyone isolated and start rebuilding with the next wae of migrants....
Thanks for the suggestion, but Number4 is correct: [...] it would be easier and more predictable to just be a racist.

Did somebody just rule 34 two veins of metal?

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2011, 07:20:46 pm »

Usually when I get a tantrum spiral (rare, since I'm a bit OCD when it comes to defenses) I just assing the happiest dwarf as the sheriff and let it the spiral run it's course. If you end with at least one happy dwarf, you will be able to wait until more meatbags migrants arrive.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

twwolfe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2011, 07:27:26 pm »

mmk, now we're down from 64 to 48, and someone has organized a party in the dining hall
There are dwarves that are nothing but useless sacrifices - Miners are not one of them.

Number4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2011, 07:29:44 pm »

Don't forget to bury/slab your deceased weakest links...
Thanks for the suggestion, but Number4 is correct: [...] it would be easier and more predictable to just be a racist.

Did somebody just rule 34 two veins of metal?

Eddren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2011, 07:31:10 pm »

twwo, lock 'em in there and hope the madmen are too busy killing each-other to notice!
Ah, my dwarven heart beats with fierce pride for this.  I can't take it anymore!  I have to go do something profound.

twwolfe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2011, 07:45:11 pm »

Now my carpenter has been posessed. Maybe it will have dead dwarves on it!

Oh, and i lost another mayor.that makes 7

Eddren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2011, 07:51:14 pm »

I love my Dwarves.
Right now, one just Withdrew from Society.
So what did he do?
He went down to the Adamantine Mines at the BOTTOM OF THE CIVILIZED PART OF MY FORTRESS to go take a Craftsdwarves workshop that he COULD have claimed at the surface.

So Dwarfy.
Ah, my dwarven heart beats with fierce pride for this.  I can't take it anymore!  I have to go do something profound.

twwolfe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2011, 08:42:38 pm »

well, it seems to have finally died down, mostly. One legendary miner is still tantruming, and i hope that if he goes, its melancholy. But i had to unlock the fort so i could get the steel from the dwarven caravan. Of the 64 dwarves i had when the spiral started, 22 are left, a third of whown are now legendary military members with no friends.

We shall rebuild!

Oh, andf the outpost Liason arrived, and asked me to nominate a dwarf for ennoblement :)
« Last Edit: August 21, 2011, 08:54:56 pm by twwolfe »

Eddren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2011, 08:58:29 pm »

You're probably going,
"How about that militia Commander over there, covered in all sorts of Dwarf blood?

JimmyBobJr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2011, 09:05:24 pm »

I had my first FUN yesterday.

A Goblin ambush attacked my poor mostly defenceless fort, and, after destroying the milita, started to go room-to-room killing everything they found. Activating the burrow, i called all the dwarves into the dining room and attempted to seal the doors with a wall. 3/4 walls were in place before the goblins got in.

Then, the ~80 dwarves that were sitting on theyre asses in the dining room immediatly freaked out and ran around in circles.

Some dwarves began to get into fights.

And before i knew it, there were 80 dwarves piling on about 5 Goblins.

Total Sum loss; 30 dwarves.

The tantrum spiral was...

Interesting.

A wounded dwarf, on the way to his room to await a doctor, tantrumed, and kicks a dwarf in the leg. After calming down, he goes into his room for a nap. The newly appointed sherrif of the fort decided to walk into this wounded dwarfs room and punch his entire head off, killing him instantly.

Then, all of a sudden....

TANTUUUM SPIIIIRALLLL

Everyone in the dining room suddenly either enraged, tantrums or gets melancholy. Some suicide off the cliff outside. Most dont make it that far.

A Dwarf enters a Mood, Grabs a Rat Carcass and drops it in the tanning vats, making a Rat bone bracelet that Mencases with rat bone.

Another dwarf beats his wife and child to death, then starts on the Engraver.

The engraver, now badly wounded (And missing a foot?   :o ) Goes to his room to rest.

and slowly, somehow, the fort begins to calm down. I immediatly create a jail to avoid further beating, but it turns out that only a few dwarves are not guilty of something, and the Guard continues to punch people in the face.

And then, when its all over, with nearly 60 dwarves dead, the game pauses, i get a message;

"A VILE FORCE OF DARKNESS HAS ARRIVED"

Again, i fail to seal off the fortress in time, and the 20 or so goblins quickly slaughter anyone in the dining room.

Three dwarves survive. A Hauler, a Cook and the Engraver from before. The only reason they live is because they are wounded in theyre rooms.

Slowly, so slowly, the goblins go room-to-room trying to find the remaining dwarves. The Hauler goes first. Then the Cook. And then a Giant Rat enters the room of the Engraver.

Immediatly, a squad of goblins enter the room. The first thing that happens is a troll Destroyes the bed of the dwarf, that the dwarf is currently sleeping on.

Then the Engraver, with one foot, bleeding badly, and broken bones, ENTERS A MARTIAL TRANCE, PUNCHES A RAT IN THE FACE and gets trod on by the troll...

And so was the end of WaterBridges.

I immediatly reclaimed and are planning on building a wall this time.
Where is the chemistry
They tried chemistry once.
It created soap.
Dwarves lost interest in chemistry after that.

twwolfe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2011, 09:09:30 pm »

I actually had a dwarf go into a fell mood during the spiral, but he got punched to death before he could actually make anything :(

franti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2011, 10:23:44 pm »

I actually had a dwarf go into a fell mood during the spiral, but he got punched to death before he could actually make anything :(
Fell Moods are actually kinda lame. Macabre Moods, on the other hand, rule. I had a dwarf maul a doctor and make a Breastplate from him. EPIC.
Adamantine, Steel, Pig Iron, Iron, Bronze, Bismuth Bronze, Platinum, Brass, Black Bronze, Billon, Rose Gold, Electrum, Bismuth, Aluminum, Gold, Copper, Tin, Sterling Silver, Silver, Nickel, Zinc, Lead, Nickel Silver, Trifle Pewter, Fine Pewter, Lay Pewter.