Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Discussion on Plant Alignments  (Read 1586 times)

Dwarfu

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Advisor
    • View Profile
Discussion on Plant Alignments
« on: August 21, 2011, 06:45:17 pm »

Redoing my plants from the ground up ;D and this time around I'm going to 'align' them.  I'd like some discussion on what others see as a real-world plant's alignment so I can get some ideas.  This doesn't mean that an evil plant is 'bad,' just that it may have some historical association that may be interpreted as a negative connotation but doesn't have to play out that way in-game.

Here is what I have so far:
Code: [Select]
Type Good Evil Benign Savage Ubiquitous ?
Fruit pear ? ? ? ?
Nut almond ? ? ? ?
Berry ? ? ? ? ?
Grain oat rye ? barley ? wheat
Vegetable ? ? ? ? ?
Textile ? ? ? ? ? cotton, flax, jute?
Other ? bloodroot ? ? ? dyes, extracts, etc.

Obviously I have some research to do, but it is a start.  My examples are pear (for light perry drink), almond (for prized almond milk), rye (for pumpernickel's association to the devil), oats (as an association to the phrase 'royal oats' hehe), bloodroot (for name, red dye).

I know that plants don't have a ubiquitous tag, but if they don't have any tag, they should show up everywhere (I'm eventually going to do this with some more animals, which is why I used ubiquitous).

Another example would be the apple, which has a storied history, but what alignment?

Not looking to add a zillion different plants (I've bogged myself down before with that) - just a few archtypes to fill the given roles.  I'm not doing underground plants yet, but feel free to give some feedback on them or tell a neat story as to why you think they are their alignment.

Thanks!  Look forward to what you come up with.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
Re: Discussion on Plant Alignments
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2011, 06:48:33 pm »

Cannabis/Related=Evil.

I'm not saying I'm anti-Cannabis or not, but Devil Weed is a very common name for it in some countries.

If this were any other forum, it'd be a troll war.  :-\

Dwarfu

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Advisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2011, 06:55:38 pm »

No, I welcome other opinions (as long as everyone is civil) - obviously not everyone is going to have the same associations for the same plants.  I'm very interested in the different ideas.

Such as, I just thought of another one - perhaps 'black walnut' for an 'evil' nut based solely on the name (I have no idea about the history of walnuts in mythology, etc.).

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2011, 06:59:04 pm »

Hmm, I don't know. Pineapples are toxic when unripe, and used to be rare (Source: Fruit Ninja :P), so perhaps they could be savage.

Cotton could be either good or ubiquitous, being so common and also fluffy.

Hemp/Cannabis could be evil.
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2011, 07:00:11 pm »

No, I welcome other opinions (as long as everyone is civil) - obviously not everyone is going to have the same associations for the same plants.  I'm very interested in the different ideas.

Such as, I just thought of another one - perhaps 'black walnut' for an 'evil' nut based solely on the name (I have no idea about the history of walnuts in mythology, etc.).
Bonus points if you classify walnuts as trees so nothing can get past them.

FEAR THE WALLNUT

Naina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2011, 09:19:57 pm »

This? Love this, and will probably supply more ideas (when I'm not so pressed for time), but here's some things to think about.

Good nut - hazlenut, said to ward off witches
Evil nut - Nutmeg, in high quantities, can be used to cause miscarriages.
Evil Fruit - Pomegranate, the food served to Persephone in the underworld that caused her to not be able to leave.
Savage Fruit - I like the pineapple idea
Savage Grain - Amaranth, a kind of 'primitive' wheat, uses less water than regular wheat
Evil Vegetable - Tomato. Poisonous if you eat anything except the fruit
Good Vegetable - Corn.
Savage Vegetable - Taro. Root that you need to process at a millstone in order to eat.
Benign Vegetable - Peppers. Very finicky to grow

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2011, 09:48:18 pm »

I know that plants don't have a ubiquitous tag

They don't have a BENIGN tag either.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Dwarfu

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Advisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2011, 10:14:15 pm »

They don't have a BENIGN tag either.

Well, shoot, I know the default plants didn't use it, but I figured each alignment triptych would be covered, but now that I tested it, it certainly doesn't work.  Does the BENIGN tag for animals not relate to alignment but to behavior?

Oh well, I'll just combine them with the 'ubiquitous' ones.

Dwarfu

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Advisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2011, 10:20:05 pm »

Evil Fruit - Pomegranate, the food served to Persephone in the underworld that caused her to not be able to leave.

Awesome.  I had already wanted to use pomegranate in some fashion...

Interus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2011, 10:37:22 pm »

Cashews are evil.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cashew
"The seed is surrounded by a double shell containing an allergenic phenolic resin, anacardic acid, a potent skin irritant chemically related to the more well known allergenic oil urushiol which is also a toxin found in the related poison ivy. Properly roasting cashews destroys the toxin, but it must be done outdoors as the smoke (not unlike that from burning poison ivy) contains urushiol droplets which can cause severe, sometimes life-threatening, reactions by irritating the lungs."

Also, apparently they're a fruit tree, not a proper nut.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2011, 10:39:51 pm »

Not to put down your idea or anything (In fact I think its awesome!) but don't forget that the current version has a bug where any plants that are aligned to be [GOOD] or [EVIL] will never show up anywhere at all and will never grow.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Dwarfu

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Advisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2011, 10:45:32 pm »

Not to put down your idea or anything (In fact I think its awesome!) but don't forget that the current version has a bug where any plants that are aligned to be [GOOD] or [EVIL] will never show up anywhere at all and will never grow.

Appreciated, I'm quite aware of the bugs.  I'm pretty much done with my modding for the current version and am just preparing/revamping for the next.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2011, 10:46:04 pm »

Cashews are evil.
"The seed is surrounded by a double shell containing an allergenic phenolic resin, anacardic acid, a potent skin irritant chemically related to the more well known allergenic oil urushiol which is also a toxin found in the related poison ivy. Properly roasting cashews destroys the toxin, but it must be done outdoors as the smoke (not unlike that from burning poison ivy) contains urushiol droplets which can cause severe, sometimes life-threatening, reactions by irritating the lungs."

MUST BUY CASHEWS. NOW.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2011, 10:58:45 pm »

Cashews are evil.

MUST BUY CASHEWS. NOW.

Great, now we're going to have people modding lung irritation poisons into cashews. That's DF for you.
And you should totally align cocoa beans with [GOOD]
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2011, 11:16:24 pm »

Cashews are evil.

MUST BUY CASHEWS. NOW.

Great, now we're going to have people modding lung irritation poisons into cashews. That's DF for you.
And you should totally align cocoa beans with [GOOD]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:STRUCTURAL:STRUCTURAL_PLANT_TEMPLATE]
       [STATE_NAME:ALL_SOLID:cashew]
       [STATE_ADJ:ALL_SOLID:cashew]
       [STATE_NAME:LIQUID:cashew juice]
       [STATE_ADJ:LIQUID:cashew juice]
       [STATE_NAME:GAS:boiling cashew juice]
       [STATE_ADJ:GAS:boiling cashew juice]
       [PREFIX:NONE]
       [SYNDROME]
           [SYN_NAME:NUTS!]
           [SYN_AFFECTED_CLASS:GENERAL_POISON]
           [SYN_INHALED]
           [CE_PAIN:SEV:100:PROB:100:BY_CATEGORY:LUNGS:START:5:PEAK:10:END:50]
           [CE_SWELLING:SEV:100:PROB:100:BY_CATEGORY:LUNG:START:5:PEAK:10:END:50]
Pages: [1] 2