Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Benefit/Disadvantage to joining the dwarven civilization?  (Read 779 times)

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Benefit/Disadvantage to joining the dwarven civilization?
« on: August 21, 2011, 06:00:55 pm »

I bet there are topics already related to this, but I dunno what to search to find anything… (I've tried a bit).

So the diplomat came and asked me if I wanted 'to establish this colony as an official part of our realm'.

I imagine I get more nobles and stuff (disadvantage), but what are advantages to joining their civilization?
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

geail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Benefit/Disadvantage to joining the dwarven civilization?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2011, 06:02:32 pm »

more nobles mean more !!FUN!!

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2011, 06:04:12 pm »

Hell - just accepted.

But still curious on what that entails in the long run...
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2011, 06:18:27 pm »

Early in, you'll have a barony on your hands, which means yes, more nobles. You'll have to make some nice rooms and things from them. Other than that, it's the next step in expanding your fortress.

If you go to the (n)obility page, you should see at the bottom that you can press (c) to see how far you must go to become the capitol. Once you're the capitol, you'll get a king/queen and be the seat of your entire frigging civilization. This also means, unfortunately, that you won't get dwarves or a liaison to trade with.
So no benefits whatsoever?

Eddren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2011, 06:21:16 pm »

Except for 'completing' the game, in a sort of way?
Ah, my dwarven heart beats with fierce pride for this.  I can't take it anymore!  I have to go do something profound.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2011, 06:24:51 pm »

Well, you get to kill nobles if their demands are unreasonable. I guess that's a nice benefit.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2011, 07:04:54 pm »

Early in, you'll have a barony on your hands, which means yes, more nobles. You'll have to make some nice rooms and things from them. Other than that, it's the next step in expanding your fortress.

If you go to the (n)obility page, you should see at the bottom that you can press (c) to see how far you must go to become the capitol. Once you're the capitol, you'll get a king/queen and be the seat of your entire frigging civilization. This also means, unfortunately, that you won't get dwarves or a liaison to trade with.
So no benefits whatsoever?

More nobles aren't a bad thing. I mean, someone has to test your death traps, right? (1)

Other than that, there aren't really any benefits. It's just another goal you can strive to achieve if you don't have your own in mind. (2)
1. That's what elves and kittens are for: Testing the traps out so we can use them on the goblins. The goblins are the secondary testing. Once it gets past them, we head it over down under. Nothing like Quality Assurance!

2. Like replacing the ocean with magma? Again?

Eddren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2011, 07:08:18 pm »

I actually have fun making traps JUST for Nobles.
For instance, I've set up my Mayor pretty sweet! Not only does he get a RIDICULOUS amount of Masterwork Platinum Furniture, but he also gets SIX untamed Monster Pets in NetherCap cages, all about his office!
But..For some odd reason..The monsters are all rigged to one lever or another..And there's a bunch of cage-traps outside the hall, and one inside his door..
..And that door has a lock that he doesn't have the key to..
Ah, my dwarven heart beats with fierce pride for this.  I can't take it anymore!  I have to go do something profound.