Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: embark with magma problem  (Read 2388 times)

Echolon

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
embark with magma problem
« on: August 21, 2011, 05:15:40 pm »

Hello,

I just created a bugged world (not intentionally) and found a working embark. I like the embark: magma and cavern above ground. And a 100 level hight candy tower!

But I got a little problem:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Someone an idea how to build a magma safe ark in a few seconds? My dwarfs would really appreciate it.
I can upload the safe, If someone want it. http://echolon.net/region1.bak.zip

Edit: Upload added.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2011, 06:16:02 pm by Echolon »

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
Re: embark with magma problem
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2011, 05:18:32 pm »

Someone an idea how to build a magma safe ark in a few seconds? My dwarfs would really appreciate it.
Throw elves at it until it is satisfied. When you run out off elves, throw kittens. Then goblins.

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2011, 05:31:49 pm »

Dig Dig Dig!

Dig straight down to the caverns, then get some high ground while the aboveground world floods.

Will be extremely challenging and I doubt you'll succeed, but that would be awesome to live completely subterranean-ly.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

Tharwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2011, 05:39:10 pm »

Mod the dwarves to be made of steel.
[Signature]

Leonance

• Bay Watcher
  • Moltar shows us how dwarves solve all problems.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2011, 05:45:13 pm »

Use DFhacks DFliquids to make an obsidian wall around your dwarfs?

Save requested, please.

Benedict Hardy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2011, 05:56:07 pm »

asdas
« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 11:37:50 am by Benedict Hardy »

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2011, 06:10:30 pm »

Dig out an area with a wavy entrance, the magma won't cross it because of pressure. Abandon your wagon, your supplies, and your pets; they belong to Armok now.

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2011, 06:24:51 pm »

along with probably 5 out of your 7 settlers
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

Eddren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2011, 06:25:19 pm »

I'd love this save.
Okay, first thing I recommend is seeing if you can't go into the world's raw files, and changing the dwarf-speed to 1 or 0. Make sure to prepare a backup, in case the game decides that your Raws are BS because of this.
If that doesn't work, mine down, mine to the side enough that all your dwarves can fit in, get them all in, then wall up the entrance. You won't have any supplies, and if your mason is a complete moron, he's dead, but you will survive. For the time being.
Ah, my dwarven heart beats with fierce pride for this.  I can't take it anymore!  I have to go do something profound.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2011, 06:34:16 pm »

Do what people have suggested, but try to get some seeds in with your dorfs, or you'll be stuck with scavenging them from the caverns.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Echolon

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2011, 06:52:04 pm »

Added the save to the irst post.

Suprise: its have 0 fps. I will make my dwarfs run to another position and get a few seeds. I will build a shelter like recommended and try to start a regular fortress. I guess the whole map will be become magma. Hard to get new migrants this way, so I have to save so much dwarfs as possible.

I will report the results later the week, don't have much time for a fps-death fortress this week. :/

1 Urist 2:
And Arnok made 6 towers of magma and candy scratches the sky itself. And Arnok said Urist McNoah to embark with seven dwarfs to the place of frozen time to build a small underground ark. And Arnok said, there is too less violence upon the earth, so Urist should start gathering elves and goblins and sacrifice them to the blood of earth. So did Urist McNoah, according to that Arnok commanded him.

Number4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2011, 07:16:02 pm »

God flooded the world with water, Armok flooded god with magma. Lets hope UristMcNoah finishes his underground ark.
Bonus for bringing a pair of every known booze with you!
Thanks for the suggestion, but Number4 is correct: [...] it would be easier and more predictable to just be a racist.

Did somebody just rule 34 two veins of metal?

qoou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2011, 07:16:27 pm »

Dig out an area with a wavy entrance, the magma won't cross it because of pressure. Abandon your wagon, your supplies, and your pets; they belong to Armok now.

Make sure to keep the anvil though. Everything else you can find in the caverns, but an anvil is vital.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2011, 07:23:02 pm »

Make sure to keep the anvil though. Everything else you can find in the caverns, but an anvil is vital.

Don't worry, the magma can't destroy the anvil since iron is magma-safe. Just set up a pump/cave-in from below later on and you'll be able to grab it.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?
Pages: [1] 2