Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Egg farms  (Read 2541 times)

somebody64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Egg farms
« on: August 21, 2011, 09:00:42 am »

I was wondering what people's experiences with egg farms are, as I'm just now tying to set one up for the first time, and I also have something specific in mind.

I have a massive area already cleared for a mega farm, and I'm trying to catch as many crundles as I can. Once I get the dungeon master, I shall tame them and start swarming my stockpiles with massive amounts of crundle eggs.

Word of wisdom, please?

HorridOwn4ge

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything is average nowadays...
    • View Profile
Re: Egg farms
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2011, 09:02:31 am »

You could just let them breed out the eggs and if you keep them locked in a separate room, or put them all in one cage, A vile force of fun has arrived, 'Mebzuth pull the levers!'

Make them swarm all over the gobbo's.
Quote from: SmileyMan
I got fed up with my fortress, so I decided to kill everyone (abandon is for elves) with a cave-in.

OK, cave-ins were always pretty deadly, but with the new falling object damage they are downright brutal.  As far as I can make out from the logs, many people were killed by the flying bodies of other victims.  One baby's corpse ricocheted off three other people, two walls and the floor.

somebody64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2011, 09:10:02 am »

You could just let them breed out the eggs and if you keep them locked in a separate room, or put them all in one cage, A vile force of fun has arrived, 'Mebzuth pull the levers!'

If I breed tame ones, will it spawn more tame ones, or wild ones?

HorridOwn4ge

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything is average nowadays...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2011, 09:11:27 am »

If I breed tame ones, will it spawn more tame ones, or wild ones?

Tame ones
Quote from: SmileyMan
I got fed up with my fortress, so I decided to kill everyone (abandon is for elves) with a cave-in.

OK, cave-ins were always pretty deadly, but with the new falling object damage they are downright brutal.  As far as I can make out from the logs, many people were killed by the flying bodies of other victims.  One baby's corpse ricocheted off three other people, two walls and the floor.

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2011, 11:44:58 am »

I've found turkey eggs to be a pretty good source of food in my fortress.

I started with 5 turkey hens on embark, they were a cheap way to soak up some extra points. I pastured them, built some nest boxes for them, and let them lay. I didn't pay attention to them for a while, but when I checked my stocks menu for wood supplies, I happened to glance at the food and realized I had 70 eggs...

From that point my main sources of food in my fortress are meat products, from animals that migrants bring in or caravans bring (I then use the bones from the animals I buy, craft them, and sell them back to the next caravan for more animals), and eggs. I have my farms producing sweet pods and cave wheat for beverages. Keeps my dwarves happy and is mostly a automatic system.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2011, 01:27:14 pm »

You might have a really loooong wait for a dungeon master, but your idea is very dwarfworthy
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2011, 05:06:48 pm »

I dunno why but my crundles can't lay eggs.

yeah,they're on the same room as the nestbox
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

PainRack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2011, 03:40:55 am »

crundles, giant eagles etc no longer lay eggs in your nestboxes. Only tame animals will claim nest box now.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2011, 07:50:20 am »

Once I get the dungeon master, I shall tame them and start swarming my stockpiles with massive amounts of crundle eggs.

The Dungeon Master is bugged, and never shows up.  And even if you mod the game to make him show up, he doesn't permit taming of exotic animals.  To tame crundles you need to edit the game raw files to make them [PET] rather than [PET_EXOTIC].
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

CrundleHorn

• Bay Watcher
  • CrundleHorn
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2011, 08:48:10 am »

Farming crundles? I know what I'm trying next!   :)
CrundleHorn

Yag Alone

• Bay Watcher
  • Grumpy old fart
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2011, 09:23:59 am »

I have a crundle farm on my current fortress... those things are VERY productive! be careful of the resulting eggsplosion.

As said before, you need to edit the raws to allows their taming (the one included in your saved game)

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
  • Edelgard did nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2011, 10:52:54 am »

I routinely engage in poultry-splosions these days. Get a couple female egg laying birds at embark, different species for maximum effect, and an accompanying male for each species.

Produce some nest boxes, and lock the door behind them. Soon, you'll be rolling in bird. Then, unlock the door and enjoy an absolutely ludicrous supply of eggs.