Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Procedural Generation FAIL  (Read 5008 times)

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Procedural Generation FAIL
« on: August 20, 2011, 12:44:41 pm »

:(
Lately, I'm proud of MAGMA LANDMINES:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91789.0
And been a bit smug over generating a world with an elephant monster that got 87763 sentient kills.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=104354.0

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Procedural Generation FAIL
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2011, 01:00:59 pm »

It's a feature, not a bug. That snowman is so awesome it can walk in magma.

Khenal

• Bay Watcher
  • Humble smelter, making music
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2011, 01:08:30 pm »

I had an eight-legged quadraped show up once.  I guess the extra four legs are just for showing off?
Slave traders occasionally bring feral ghouls for trade. I haven't decided if this is a bug or feature yet.

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2011, 01:11:12 pm »

I also have a six-legged quadruped made of ice on the same cavern layer.
It has a nasty dust attack, so I'm really hoping it isn't magma-proof too...
And been a bit smug over generating a world with an elephant monster that got 87763 sentient kills.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2011, 01:39:41 pm »

I had an eight-legged quadraped show up once.  I guess the extra four legs are just for showing off?

There was a bit of a discussion on what that would look like starting here and continuing at the bottom of the page.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2011, 03:48:36 pm »

At first, I thought you were talking about your caverns being filled with magma instead of water. I should have known better. I mean, who would spit in Armok's face like that?

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2011, 11:08:21 pm »

Anyways, all Forgotten Beasts are magma and water-proof. Since that one is made out of snow, throw a cat at it or something- snow isn't a strong material.
WHAT! ALL OF THEM?
FFFFFFFF... I just spent the better part of a year building a 48 Z-level pump stack to flood that cavern layer in magma to kill FBs. And not for THAT non-kitten-proof one, but for the OTHER quadruped, made of ice (a decently tough material), that has a deadly dust attack that causes instant paralysis/suffocation.

RAGEFACE.

Oh well, time to build a marksman observation station, flush the FB there with magma (at least they run away from magma, even if they aren't hurt by it), and shoot it with bolts until it's chipped to death. I just hope the enormous eyeless teenager tanager's deadly dust attack isn't as nasty. And that the olivine humanoid's deadly spittle isn't.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2011, 11:17:53 pm »

Get it into a webbed cage trap, open up the HFS and drop it in. 

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2011, 11:54:39 pm »

Anyways, all Forgotten Beasts are magma and water-proof. Since that one is made out of snow, throw a cat at it or something- snow isn't a strong material.
WHAT! ALL OF THEM?
FFFFFFFF... I just spent the better part of a year building a 48 Z-level pump stack to flood that cavern layer in magma to kill FBs. And not for THAT non-kitten-proof one, but for the OTHER quadruped, made of ice (a decently tough material), that has a deadly dust attack that causes instant paralysis/suffocation.

RAGEFACE.

Oh well, time to build a marksman observation station, flush the FB there with magma (at least they run away from magma, even if they aren't hurt by it), and shoot it with bolts until it's chipped to death. I just hope the enormous eyeless teenager tanager's deadly dust attack isn't as nasty. And that the olivine humanoid's deadly spittle isn't.
It need not be a waste. Just build a water deliverance system for the cavern, and you have an enormous obsidian factory.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2011, 12:14:44 am »

And obsidian casting kills FBs.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2011, 12:22:28 am »

quadraped

Quadraped, 'ey? I think I know what the 4 extra "legs" are.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2011, 12:49:11 am »

If... FB's are magma-proof...

That raises a new question for me.

How did Cetutha die?

I had a forgotten beast, who died on his own, without any proper reason. According to legends, he "died in the heat". There was a magma pipe ending in the cavern he lived in, and I assumed he had fallen in. If FB's are magma-proof, then how did he die?

My possible explanations:
1. Another Forgotten Beast: At the time, in the same cavern as Cetutha, another FB lived, a giant blob of flame. FB's don't fight each other, do they?
2. Suicide: Cetutha had a fiery breath attack, but it would be... odd if he had killed himself with it.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2011, 01:34:31 am »

Th... THANK YOU GUYS. Phew...

Can one, at least, mine out their bones afterwards like ice-encasing? :D

Also, Oliolli, I have in fact observed a FB with fire breath that was not fireproof. I mean, it died because of legendary warriors, but its corpse burned to ashes.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2011, 01:50:01 am »

Th... THANK YOU GUYS. Phew...

Can one, at least, mine out their bones afterwards like ice-encasing? :D

Also, Oliolli, I have in fact observed a FB with fire breath that was not fireproof. I mean, it died because of legendary warriors, but its corpse burned to ashes.
I think anything that is magma safe can be retrieved from the obsidian.

Nidokoenig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2011, 02:06:24 am »

If... FB's are magma-proof...

That raises a new question for me.

How did Cetutha die?

I had a forgotten beast, who died on his own, without any proper reason. According to legends, he "died in the heat". There was a magma pipe ending in the cavern he lived in, and I assumed he had fallen in. If FB's are magma-proof, then how did he die?

My possible explanations:
1. Another Forgotten Beast: At the time, in the same cavern as Cetutha, another FB lived, a giant blob of flame. FB's don't fight each other, do they?
2. Suicide: Cetutha had a fiery breath attack, but it would be... odd if he had killed himself with it.

Friendly fire of some kind seems the likely explanation, though if he came in contact with semi-molten stone, would that cause that message as well? Anyway, as far as I know, FBs don't fight each other directly, but they might have seen some cavern critter and loosed some flame.
Pages: [1] 2