Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Dwarf warrior pods.  (Read 3093 times)

HorridOwn4ge

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything is average nowadays...
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf warrior pods.
« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2011, 02:00:56 pm »

SUCCESS!

(sort of...)

I had a dwarf with scary scary toughness fall 27 z-levels into a 1x1 area of water 9 z-levels deep wearing masterful steel armour and live. Her whole right side took the full force of the impact, breaking her right lower arm and upper spine with bruising on a few other body parts. My pressure plate system worked and the water was released allowing her to crawl out.

Now I just need to find a depth where she can emerge uninjured.

We need some science on this, I think the water level has to be atleast half the height of the total fall (14z level = 7z levels of 7/7 water needed) we need to do some science on this.
Quote from: SmileyMan
I got fed up with my fortress, so I decided to kill everyone (abandon is for elves) with a cave-in.

OK, cave-ins were always pretty deadly, but with the new falling object damage they are downright brutal.  As far as I can make out from the logs, many people were killed by the flying bodies of other victims.  One baby's corpse ricocheted off three other people, two walls and the floor.

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2011, 03:28:11 pm »

Even less  :D

I got my dwarf to fall 27 z-levels into 11 levels of water and survive injury free. Most of time she'd break a hand or something like that but she'd walk away without a scratch about 20% of the time.

I captured a video of it, you can watch it here: http://mkv25.net/dfma/movie-2361-27z-levelopendroppod

I could go on and find the depth needed to survive without injuries on a consistant basis but meh, i'm going to be tearing this tower down anyways.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2011, 04:06:03 pm »

Didn't someone in the old version cook up a "dwarf drop" entrance where they fell THROUGH MAGMA and then landed on dry land many z levels down? I've been looking through the forum for the reference, but can't find it. I was sure it was real, but did I dream this?

Also, nice test Bloodbeard.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

ISGC

• Bay Watcher
  • Hatters Gonna Hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2011, 04:12:00 pm »

I think falling on animals negates fall damage
fill a hole with kittens and drop dwarves on them
Fifteen men on a dead man's chest, Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2011, 04:16:44 pm »

Never heard of the magma thing but I can see how that could go. Get a magma waterfall that is open from above and below, but have a line of pumps at the bottom that keeps the magma from falling where your dwarf lands. So fucking dwarfy.

God damn it now I want to build it.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 22, 2011, 05:12:25 pm »

I think falling on animals negates fall damage
fill a hole with kittens and drop dwarves on them
Finally, we can put kitten's psychokinetic powers to good use!

Vicid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2011, 05:41:14 pm »

Ok I'm thinking the dwarves drop into columns of water that are as deep as they need to be (60% uninjured rate)

Next to this water is a stair well that is also in this water that the warrior can climb up. (by the way will dwarves use stairs while under water?)and join the fight.

Just before they fall supports can drop a few columns onto the battle field to stun the badguys and make it as awesome as possible.

Cyroth

• Bay Watcher
  • [FABULOUS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2011, 02:45:23 pm »

This is so awesome, suicidal dangerous and needlessly complicated that I just HAVE to try one of those in my next fort.

Maybe in my next cave challenge I'll use them to drop the migrants into my fortress. The survivers can stay, the others will have to... err... die.
Demons are preferable to ravens.
A noble just suffered a genuine unfortunate accident.
Has that ever happened before?

ohgoditburns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 23, 2011, 03:58:10 pm »

Ok I'm thinking the dwarves drop into columns of water that are as deep as they need to be (60% uninjured rate)

Next to this water is a stair well that is also in this water that the warrior can climb up. (by the way will dwarves use stairs while under water?)and join the fight.

Just before they fall supports can drop a few columns onto the battle field to stun the badguys and make it as awesome as possible.

I'm thinking it would be cool to have something like the following:

Code: [Select]
W^W^W^W^W^W
WBWBWBWBWBW
###########
WBWBWBWBWBW
W^W^W^W^W^W

Basically, you have the columns filled with water,  and when the dwarves hit the pressure plates at the bottom, it opens the bridge so that the water all gushes out the bottom and through the grates. The water should disrupt the goblins long enough for your dwarves to stand up, and rush into the battlefield.
The landscape routinely being soaked in flammable fluids somehow seems less than benevolent.

Vicid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 23, 2011, 09:39:30 pm »

Does water set off pressure plates?

Excedion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 23, 2011, 11:24:34 pm »

Hmm, I might test a bunch of 3x3 drop pods with floor hatches. Even with just a 1z drop for starters. I wonder if i have a drop pod surrounded by a minefield would it give a bonus to dwarfployment. Set off the minefield on a bunch of gobbos and stun/maim them then drop the super dwarf from above to finish them.
Code: [Select]
z=0
.S..S..S.
.S.....S.
.S..S..S.

z=1
.F..F..F.
...WWW...
.F.WHW.F.
...WWW...
.F..F..F.

S= Support (linked to lever)
F= Constructed Floor
W= Wall
H= Floor Hatch

Just add a dwarf on top of the hatch

It may not work but worth a test
If adamantine is perfectly rigid, as shown by having 0 strain at fracture in the raw files, then the speed of sound in the metal approaches the speed of light. Adamantine musical instruments would produce ultrasonic vibrations, and cut off the fingers of the musician.

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 23, 2011, 11:30:07 pm »

Does water set off pressure plates?

Only if you tell it to.  It's part of the options when you're constructing the plate.  You set the size category of creature, or whether it will be turned by water/magma, and whether friendlies can trigger it.
All generalizations are false....including this one.
Pages: 1 2 [3]