Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Dwarf warrior pods.  (Read 3095 times)

Eddren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf warrior pods.
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2011, 08:19:05 pm »

New danger room:
Room looming over the sea..
..With kobolds inside the Danger Room.
Ah, my dwarven heart beats with fierce pride for this.  I can't take it anymore!  I have to go do something profound.

FluidDynamite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2011, 08:22:51 pm »

Do dwarves take falling damage when landing on water?

I think the z-level of the water has to be atleast 2 z-levels high to reduce the damage to a zero.

Water does absolutely nothing to reduce falling damage, you might as well be falling through air. Evident in idiot dwarves falling through wells, splattering into pieces and screwing up your cistern with dwarf blood. :P

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2011, 09:25:21 pm »

I think the z-level of the water has to be atleast 2 z-levels high to reduce the damage to a zero.

Water does absolutely nothing to reduce falling damage, you might as well be falling through air. Evident in idiot dwarves falling through wells, splattering into pieces and screwing up your cistern with dwarf blood. :P

I don't know about that, i've done lots of arena mode tests dropping dwarves from varying heights into varying depths of water and they do survive without damage. Untill they drown.

Funny you guys should be talking about this because i'm in the process of building a drop pod 'shock troop' type thing like was mentioned earlier where dwarves drop freefall into a cylinder of water, sinking to the bottom and triggering a pressure plate that drains the water. Useful for fortress setups where your dwarves are in an air ship or something and need to get to ground level really fast.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2011, 10:24:44 pm »

Water does reduce injury, but you need a lot of it. It's not like minecraft where a puddle can stop a fall from space. There was some dwarfscience done in the past.
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

Vicid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2011, 11:55:21 am »

They could deploy into a drop pod that is hanging from a support. The cave in hurts/stuns foes

blue sam3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2011, 01:45:38 pm »

The best way to deploy them is by making them fall onto the ground from above in 'pods' WH40K style ofcourse, using controlled cave-ins it would be a viable option.

Do it using hatches, and have a 1x1 room full of kittens at the bottom to give them a nice soft landing.

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2011, 03:26:10 pm »

The science around drop pods is very similar to the dwarven submerisible idea found here.
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2011, 04:09:39 pm »

Can a danger room be filled with water 4/7ths deep? Or does the dodging and whatnot make drowning a conern?
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2011, 04:14:14 pm »

If the whole "Volcanic Dorf Shock Pod" thing works, I'm going to have some serious fun in update .26.

Flood the area with magma, then drop some uberdorfs ontop of the zombie hordes. Let the games begin.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2011, 04:48:42 pm »

On my lake side fortress there is a 15z levels cliff ,3Zs are underwater,when I throw gobbos on the lake they always break their legs.
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2011, 09:57:07 pm »

Update on my basejumping into water project, I have a 27 z-level high diving board (highest I can get without digging down) where dwarves stand on a lever linked hatch. I'm slowly filling up the cylinder of water to see the minimum needed for my toughest dwarf to survive. The water is at 7 levels deep and it's still exploding-body fatal. I was starting to wonder if it would even work so I build a platform only 9 levels above ground and it was working perfectly without injury, so I just need more water.

I also discovered that a dwarf will fall 1 level every 6 turns and on average my fastest dwarf can go down a flight of stairs every 5 turns. This dwarfs' agility is freakishly high so the falling method is still faster for the average trained soldier but that is just awesome that a dwarf can beat dwarf in free fall to the ground on foot.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2011, 10:28:39 pm »

I also discovered that a dwarf will fall 1 level every 6 turns and on average my fastest dwarf can go down a  of stairs every 5 turns. This dwarfs' agility is freakishly high so the falling method is still faster for the average trained soldier but that is just awesome that a dwarf can beat dwarf in free fall to the ground on foot.
NINJA DORFS:

THEY CAN BEAT YOU AT FALLING AS WELL!

Eddren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2011, 08:38:53 am »

I plan on doing a Dwarf Squad-drop:
First part: Raise the Magma Sea up to flow around the second underground Cavern.
Second part: In the now-safe zone located underneath the Magma-Sea, make three channels above the ceiling of Hell.
Third part: Repeat this nine times.
Fourth part: Using speed 0 dwarves, quickly mine out a section of the ceiling, replace with bridge.
Fifth part: Hook up all the bridges to a lever.
Sixth part: Repeat this nine times.
Seventh part: Put chickens on all of the 27 bottom-most tiles.
Eighth part: Put all ten squad-members in their respective spots.
Ninth part: Make sure they're the Combat-Miners.
Tenth part: DOUBLE CHECK.
Eleventh part: PULL THE LEVER!
Ah, my dwarven heart beats with fierce pride for this.  I can't take it anymore!  I have to go do something profound.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2011, 11:45:18 am »

I plan on doing a Dwarf Squad-drop:
First part: Raise the Magma Sea up to flow around the second underground Cavern.
Second part: In the now-safe zone located underneath the Magma-Sea, make three channels above the ceiling of Hell.
Third part: Repeat this nine times.
Fourth part: Using speed 0 dwarves, quickly mine out a section of the ceiling, replace with bridge.
Fifth part: Hook up all the bridges to a lever.
Sixth part: Repeat this nine times.
Seventh part: Put chickens on all of the 27 bottom-most tiles.
Eighth part: Put all ten squad-members in their respective spots.
Ninth part: Make sure they're the Combat-Miners.
Tenth part: DOUBLE CHECK.
Eleventh part: PULL THE LEVER!
Fix'd

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2011, 12:36:17 pm »

SUCCESS!

(sort of...)

I had a dwarf with scary scary toughness fall 27 z-levels into a 1x1 area of water 9 z-levels deep wearing masterful steel armour and live. Her whole right side took the full force of the impact, breaking her right lower arm and upper spine with bruising on a few other body parts. My pressure plate system worked and the water was released allowing her to crawl out.

Now I just need to find a depth where she can emerge uninjured.
Pages: 1 [2] 3