Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Dwarf warrior pods.  (Read 3092 times)

Vicid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarf warrior pods.
« on: August 20, 2011, 10:14:19 am »

Do dwarves get upset when isolated? I'm thinking the best way to maintain an army of expendable dwarfs is to take friendless migrants and keep them locked in one dwarf danger rooms. I guess there should be one tile for a bed but everything else is just danger room and food/booze dumped from above. 

When goblins arrive the floodgate holding them in is lowered and if they die noone cares.

Just an idea I hardly ever play anymore :<

wypie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf warrior pods.
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2011, 10:22:09 am »

Sounds interesting might be worth testing.

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2011, 10:24:00 am »

Sounds actually like a viable concept. You might also want to not enroll any woman, so they can't give birth, drag their children to unsafe places, and get depressed when the logical conclusion ensues.
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

HorridOwn4ge

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything is average nowadays...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2011, 10:30:57 am »

The best way to deploy them is by making them fall onto the ground from above in 'pods' WH40K style ofcourse, using controlled cave-ins it would be a viable option.
Quote from: SmileyMan
I got fed up with my fortress, so I decided to kill everyone (abandon is for elves) with a cave-in.

OK, cave-ins were always pretty deadly, but with the new falling object damage they are downright brutal.  As far as I can make out from the logs, many people were killed by the flying bodies of other victims.  One baby's corpse ricocheted off three other people, two walls and the floor.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2011, 11:28:47 am »

Unfortunately that would put them at a horrendous disadvantage. perhaps collapse a constructed floor a z-level below the floor of their pod, and make the floor of their pod (somewhere in it besides the danger room portion) a retracting bridge that drops them immediately after the dust has settled and before the goblins can recover, putting them at an advantage despite the stun/minor injuries from the fall.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Tehsapper

• Bay Watcher
  • Why, MrMayor? Whatever do you mean by "slade bed"?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2011, 11:39:12 am »

The main problem is you can't build spears on a tile occupied by another building (bed). And the dwarf will be more likely standing on his bed, instead of that impaling-his-ass tile. So, I think no need in beds. Just stop the impaling when they start to sleep. And give them nice food, so they won't be upset.

Eddren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2011, 11:48:07 am »

Hmm..
..The follow-Up to the Dwarven Childcare experiment..
..Dwarven Warrior-Pods.
When he finally comes out, not only will he be a soldier hardened from twelve straight years of torture, but he will also be a master of killing Goblins while simultaneously having to dodge +Oak Training Spear+s.
Ah, my dwarven heart beats with fierce pride for this.  I can't take it anymore!  I have to go do something profound.

ohgoditburns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2011, 11:49:44 am »

Have 1x1 areas with a levered hatch at the bottom, and put your expendables in there. Drop food and drink from above. They can sleep on the floor. Have your real army stationed a ways back. When the enemy comes, pull the lever, and have your expendables tie up the enemy. Then march your real army in for some quick beheadings. Expendables that survive (or maybe just the ones who get kills) get to join the army.
The landscape routinely being soaked in flammable fluids somehow seems less than benevolent.

Tehsapper

• Bay Watcher
  • Why, MrMayor? Whatever do you mean by "slade bed"?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2011, 11:59:02 am »

Have 1x1 areas with a levered hatch at the bottom, and put your expendables in there. Drop food and drink from above. They can sleep on the floor. Have your real army stationed a ways back. When the enemy comes, pull the lever, and have your expendables tie up the enemy. Then march your real army in for some quick beheadings. Expendables that survive (or maybe just the ones who get kills) get to join the army.

How about doors or floodgates instead of hatches? Because they may be stunned after falling.

elitepastafa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2011, 12:24:13 pm »

Awww, I was hoping for the revival of the Dwarven Drop-Pod experiments.....
Quote from: Gnauga date=1287448036
Quote from: SkyRender date=1287438955
no-quality training spears are about as effective as a limp noodle at doing damage
You forget that a limp noodle has a wobbly attribute to it. In fact, its characteristics and shape may liken it to a small whip made out of food.
In this sense, the limp noodle is a dangerous thing and should be slurped with extreme caution, lest your lips go flying off in an arc.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2011, 03:51:06 pm »

I prefer to make a single small danger room so my military dwarves become best friends. If they start dying left and right in a fight, then the berserk dwarves are probably going to be necessary.

Berserk legendary military dwarves chop up pretty much anything into finely minced bits.

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2011, 06:38:34 pm »

The best way to deploy them is by making them fall onto the ground from above in 'pods' WH40K style ofcourse, using controlled cave-ins it would be a viable option.

Actually, there was a discussion about this earlier; what you need is a chute that the dwarf falls down.  At the bottom of that chute is a 1x1 room with a chained animal and a door that is not pet passable (so the animal always stays in the same spot on top of the chain).  Any z-level fall onto another creature will always result in both creatures merely being stunned for a short while.  So, a dwarf could, in theory, fall 90 z-levels onto a cat, and be ready to fight 5 frames later.  No cave-ins, no risk of injury, just dwarves where you need them, ready to fight.

As for the design of the room, I'd go like this:
ADSBHDA
A-Armor stand designating a barracks
D-Door that is forbidden but set to internal (so the barracks extends though it to the spot where you want the dwarf to stand)
S-Spears for danger room
B-Bed, and possibly booze and food stockpile
H-Hatch to deploy you dwarf

Normally, you have the dwarf train on the stand to the left, but when battle rolls around, change it to the one on the right, open the hatch via lever when the dwarf is in position, and send him off to battle!
All generalizations are false....including this one.

Urist McUristy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2011, 07:22:21 pm »

I prefer to make a single small danger room so my military dwarves become best friends. If they start dying left and right in a fight, then the berserk dwarves are probably going to be necessary.

Berserk legendary military dwarves chop up pretty much anything into finely minced bits.
Yeah, including your own dorfs. Fun is to be had when the last military dorf is extremely skilled and berserk.

Jiopaba

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2011, 07:31:30 pm »

Do dwarves take falling damage when landing on water?

HorridOwn4ge

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything is average nowadays...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2011, 07:50:48 pm »

Do dwarves take falling damage when landing on water?

I think the z-level of the water has to be atleast 2 z-levels high to reduce the damage to a zero.
Quote from: SmileyMan
I got fed up with my fortress, so I decided to kill everyone (abandon is for elves) with a cave-in.

OK, cave-ins were always pretty deadly, but with the new falling object damage they are downright brutal.  As far as I can make out from the logs, many people were killed by the flying bodies of other victims.  One baby's corpse ricocheted off three other people, two walls and the floor.
Pages: [1] 2 3