Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Newbie Suggestions  (Read 950 times)

eastc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Newbie Suggestions
« on: August 20, 2011, 01:41:52 am »

I'd like an easy way to annotate saves.
It's hard to remember what's what. Currently, I rename the folder but that does weird things to a running game. So I exit, rename, restart. It's a minor hassle but something better would rock. Really I'd like to see the embark map when selecting a world (or the F1 zoom target) for current games and a world map for new games (before selecting). Also a way to just write a lot of notes. "I'm working on mega project X. This is where Urist did that thing w/ the Troll you remember... before we got the wall up. Don't forget to start making armor when you restart this game. Your military is naked and there's a <insert fun> coming."

I'd like to specify what materials to use in workshops.
Basically add material types to the "P" function. So, this workshop makes gold, that makes steel. :)

A way to view from X or Y
We can see only from the Z. I think seeing along the X/Y would help a lot.

Random starts.
You don't get to pick where you go. You don't get to know where you go. You don't get to choose what to embark with. Or all of the above.

Stone weapons
Axes, Maces. Stone weapons could suck but it doesn't seem right that I can't have a "Dwarf Stone Age until I discover metals". They can be primitive. Kinda sharp stones on sticks or held in the hand. Very ineffective but you could chop down a tree or dig in the ground or butcher an animal. I guess the latter doesn't actually require tools. I'm thinking neanderthal like tools.

More Civs
More Civs... preferably hostile ones and random (would add color and world variety). :)

More fantasy metals
What? No Mithril? How about meteor metal, dwarf forged steel (better than normal steel -- like Damascus steel back in the day), enchanted... I guess that's somewhat artifacty. Or maybe just make magic metals show up in artifact names instead of normal metals sometimes. Silver or Aluminium might sometimes be Mithril. Steel could be DragonForged Iron. I'm just going by stream of thought...

Engrave-able walls
Yeah, that's about it on that. :)

Some method of micro-management reduction in later game
It'd be nice if in the late game there was a way to remove some of the micro. Perhaps through additional manager functionality that occurs after 100 or 200 dwarfs. Assign person X to task Y. Whenever product Z is low job starts. I'm thinking a farmer will go farm when food/ale is low so that brewer can make it w/o having to worry about storage (or over storage) and the carpenter will make barrels if they're short barrels.

Better frame rates
I know lots of people say it and there are various things to improve it but they all sound cheaty. I play vanilla and I think it's great. I'll try smaller embarks though.

Menus
Sort by Alphabetical and sort by type. Like stone and stock and some workshop menus would be far more newbie friendly if they were alphabetical. All "build X" options should have a short blub if you click on it. e.g. stone pot/barrel/jug "you can store food or alcohol", container "you can store clothing", low boot "like shoes", high boot "like knee high boots". Little things like that.

More Dwarf telepathy
I'd like a little more in the "enter thoughts" section maybe? Something so we know what he did or why he did it. Like, "I'd go haul something but I'm too lazy" (procrastination) or "I could do X or Y but I'll do X instead". Just feedback so we can figure out what they're trying to do. It would make understanding the minions wonderful dwarf prisoners citizens easier.

Moar Stats
I know stats are more in Adventure mode. I've only tried it once and played about 10m before a Crocodile ate me. Still, I'd like to know if that bone glove I gave him is better than that leather glove. Is that masterwork item .2 urist defender points better than that glove of another material? Why can't we know that hauler A's has 1024 Str or that the Doc has 300 in social? :) This rock weighs X, this metal weighs Y (other than looking at the raws or the wiki). It seems that's info Dwarfs should know about (or pick up or research quickly through some profession/nobility). Or deploy and not know what sort of stone/metal it is until your geologist figures it out. I guess I'm getting off topic. Moar stats!

Phew, that was longer than I expected. I hope it doesn't sound ranty. I think DF is great! Fantastic I say! I do wish it was easier to play w/o needing the wiki. It's still great! Fantastic I say. All hail Toady may he live long and code a gazillion lines more of code and bring joy (or horrible magma pain) to all the dwarf girls and boys. Also, the community is fairly filled with awesome which is sort of refreshing to see.

tHe_silent_H

• Bay Watcher
  • Did you win?
    • View Profile
Re: Newbie Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2011, 09:43:32 am »

I'd like an easy way to annotate saves.
It's hard to remember what's what. Currently, I rename the folder but that does weird things to a running game. So I exit, rename, restart. It's a minor hassle but something better would rock.

Agree

Really I'd like to see the embark map when selecting a world (or the F1 zoom target) for current games and a world map for new games (before selecting).

not really nessercary imo

Also a way to just write a lot of notes. "I'm working on mega project X. This is where Urist did that thing w/ the Troll you remember... before we got the wall up. Don't forget to start making armor when you restart this game. Your military is naked and there's a <insert fun> coming."

agree, for now, theres notpad :P

I'd like to specify what materials to use in workshops.
Basically add material types to the "P" function. So, this workshop makes gold, that makes steel. :)

planned and discussed much already(search!)

A way to view from X or Y
We can see only from the Z. I think seeing along the X/Y would help a lot.

not sure on this, and would be a lot of code to go into to something that may not be useful

Random starts.
You don't get to pick where you go. You don't get to know where you go. You don't get to choose what to embark with. Or all of the above.

Agree

Stone weapons
Axes, Maces. Stone weapons could suck but it doesn't seem right that I can't have a "Dwarf Stone Age until I discover metals". They can be primitive. Kinda sharp stones on sticks or held in the hand. Very ineffective but you could chop down a tree or dig in the ground or butcher an animal. I guess the latter doesn't actually require tools. I'm thinking neanderthal like tools.

makes sense, but mods have this covered

More Civs
More Civs... preferably hostile ones and random (would add color and world variety). :)

mods again+ we are getting more night creatures(inc. UNDEAD INVASIONS) next patch

More fantasy metals
What? No Mithril? How about meteor metal, dwarf forged steel (better than normal steel -- like Damascus steel back in the day), enchanted... I guess that's somewhat artifacty. Or maybe just make magic metals show up in artifact names instead of normal metals sometimes. Silver or Aluminium might sometimes be Mithril. Steel could be DragonForged Iron. I'm just going by stream of thought...

mods, and not really nessersary imo

Engrave-able walls
Yeah, that's about it on that. :)

Just wait till tapestry's/rugs paintings and carvinngs to go in. they should cover that in a much more sophisticated way

Some method of micro-management reduction in later game
It'd be nice if in the late game there was a way to remove some of the micro. Perhaps through additional manager functionality that occurs after 100 or 200 dwarfs. Assign person X to task Y. Whenever product Z is low job starts. I'm thinking a farmer will go farm when food/ale is low so that brewer can make it w/o having to worry about storage (or over storage) and the carpenter will make barrels if they're short barrels.

planned and suggested so often( again SEARH!)

Better frame rates
I know lots of people say it and there are various things to improve it but they all sound cheaty. I play vanilla and I think it's great. I'll try smaller embarks though.

multi core usupport when it goes in should help(question is will it be in our lifetime)

Menus
Sort by Alphabetical and sort by type. Like stone and stock and some workshop menus would be far more newbie friendly if they were alphabetical. All "build X" options should have a short blub if you click on it. e.g. stone pot/barrel/jug "you can store food or alcohol", container "you can store clothing", low boot "like shoes", high boot "like knee high boots". Little things like that.

neutral, as long as we can change to defualt, and better discriptions would be good yes.

More Dwarf telepathy
I'd like a little more in the "enter thoughts" section maybe? Something so we know what he did or why he did it. Like, "I'd go haul something but I'm too lazy" (procrastination) or "I could do X or Y but I'll do X instead". Just feedback so we can figure out what they're trying to do. It would make understanding the minions wonderful dwarf prisoners citizens easier.

personality and needs rewrite in future releases

Moar Stats
I know stats are more in Adventure mode. I've only tried it once and played about 10m before a Crocodile ate me. Still, I'd like to know if that bone glove I gave him is better than that leather glove. Is that masterwork item .2 urist defender points better than that glove of another material? Why can't we know that hauler A's has 1024 Str or that the Doc has 300 in social? :) This rock weighs X, this metal weighs Y (other than looking at the raws or the wiki). It seems that's info Dwarfs should know about (or pick up or research quickly through some profession/nobility). Or deploy and not know what sort of stone/metal it is until your geologist figures it out. I guess I'm getting off topic. Moar stats!

eh, some of it is reasonable, otheres there no accurate way to tell, so current discripts fit perfectly

Phew, that was longer than I expected. I hope it doesn't sound ranty. I think DF is great! Fantastic I say! I do wish it was easier to play w/o needing the wiki. It's still great! Fantastic I say. All hail Toady may he live long and code a gazillion lines more of code and bring joy (or horrible magma pain) to all the dwarf girls and boys. Also, the community is fairly filled with awesome which is sort of refreshing to see.
Did you know that if you write 3.14 on a piece of paper and hold it in a mirror, it will say pie? And if you divide 42 by 3.14... you get 13.37!

It is incredibly satisfying to kill a man with a butterfly.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2011, 10:09:06 am »

We need  area only for the classic "we need better UI" suggestion,every one knows that DF need beter UI so stop saying this!
your suggestions are good,but i think half of them are alredy being discussed.(stone weapons,material especifications,engravable walls.)
The ones liked the most are: random start,fantasy metals and random civilizations. (or even objects and creatures if Chuck Norris bless toady!)
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

coolio678

• Bay Watcher
  • whooshing winds and all that jazz
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2011, 07:41:58 pm »

the day I stop needing the wiki is the day I stop playing this.
Dwarves passing by get good thoughts from the mist of water and exploding felines.
Anyone of the equivalent to the royal bloodline in a nomadic group would have a sun tattooed on their hand, or a scrotum on their forehead (it's a little-known fact that fraternities are based off of long-forgotten tribes).

Drunken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2011, 08:25:48 pm »

I think this thread is mislabeled. Y view is an interesting idea, it never occurred to me before for some reason. I can't think of that many important uses for it but it shouldn't be to hard to implement so it could be worthwhile. Random starts I definitely support but I would like to add that these should be built into the history generation. Completely random is pointless, but if we could have a situation where there is a backstory and a reason for the expedition that would be great. Something like expeditions already happen in worldgen history because new settlements are founded. I would suggest that at the end of history gen a search is made for civs that might have expanded in the next few years and some reasons for that, e.g. a bastion against 'the trousers of smiting, goblin civ' to the north or with the new trade changes an outpost to mine the gold of 'the happy mountain'. Then one could get a kind of random quest with the embark like survive the sieges or mine X gold. Also embark dwarves could consist of historical figures from that civ and be equipped according to the wealth or poverty of it. I realise I am taking the idea from 'hey we could throw this in' to a whole new arc but still it is worth a thought.
A stopped clock is right for exactly two infinitessimal moments every day.
A working clock on the other hand is almost never ever exactly right.