Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Waterfall questions!  (Read 2209 times)

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
Re: Waterfall questions!
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2011, 03:24:56 am »

up/down staircase are as good a means of mining out a chute for your waterfall as any, especially if you're tunneling into a river or aquifer from below. However, it's ill advised to have water running down your staircases in the fort proper, as dwarves can slip and fall many z-levels. Better to channel holes for the waterfall, with grates over the holes. If you keep one space betwixt your 'fall and your staircase, that should work safely.

You WANT dwarves to get damp by getting close to a waterfall and getting splashed, though. Filth will fall off them and generally stick to the tile below, and your cleaning dwarf will come around every now and then and scrub the filth off. I hear a lot about bathtubs in forts, but waterfalls are imo much more effective, even if they hit FPS a little bit, because filth will just accumulate in a pool, whereas it will get scrubbed off by a dwarf if it's near a waterfall.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

Khenal

• Bay Watcher
  • Humble smelter, making music
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2011, 03:44:32 am »

Hmm, I like this idea of a staircase waterfall/cleaner.  Mist and decontamination?  Sounds like a ‼SCIENCE‼ award winner to me, despite the lack of magma.
Slave traders occasionally bring feral ghouls for trade. I haven't decided if this is a bug or feature yet.

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2011, 04:53:46 am »

!!SCIENCE!! without magma is just SCIENCE. But it might be +SCIENCE+ or *SCIENCE*, and so forth.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

Russell.s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2011, 06:26:55 am »

XXX
X~X
XXX

Is the staircase (X) and waterfall (~) that I have planned, so that will work as both bath and mist-joy-dispenser!

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2011, 07:47:24 am »

Random wetting will only matter if the tiles are unsmoothed and thus potential growth surfaces for trees. They can block off your access.

Highly recommend covering the area with grates. It'll generate mist and prevent falls.

andyman564

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2011, 10:08:04 am »

Random wetting will only matter if the tiles are unsmoothed and thus potential growth surfaces for trees. They can block off your access.

trees/shrubs can't grow on stairs, no matter how muddy you make them.
Yeah.  Thus why I didn't make a trap.  In it's current state the fortress didn't need a trap, the whole damn fortress is a trap.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2011, 10:21:13 am »

trees/shrubs can't grow on stairs, no matter how muddy you make them.
You also can't smooth stairs, but I was referring to floor tiles.
Pages: 1 [2]