Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress fan meetup THIS EVENING (4/12)  (Read 5040 times)

TurnpikeLad

• Bay Watcher
  • maybe this time
    • View Profile
Dwarf Fortress fan meetup THIS EVENING (4/12)
« on: April 05, 2008, 02:40:00 pm »

Thread #3.  This is for final planning and conversation.  The meetup is next Saturday.  I've reserved a table for 20 at Ivar's in downtown Seattle.  It's at 1001 Alaskan Way down on the water - right around Alaskan and Madison.  We are going to meet at 5:30 and hang out for a while to wait for everybody to show up - our reservation is for 6:00.  Toady and ThreeToe will be there.  

Ivar's closes at 11:00, but the last ferry back to Bremerton (where Tarn and Zach live) is at 12:50, so perhaps we could go somewhere else for another hour if people are up for it.  I don't know how many of you are over 21, but there are some nice pub-like places around.

I think about 18 people currently are planning to show up, so we have room for one or two more.  DataBlue's making T-shirts.

THINGS TO BRING:

• Around $30 for the meal.  (I expect it to cost around 20-30 dollars per person but we're paying for the Adams brothers, so bring a bit extra.)  We're doing separate checks.

• A donation for Bay 12 if you can.  I'm going to do a collection.

• $8 for T-shirts if you said you wanted one.

• Beards encouraged.

• A few people should bring cameras so the people who weren't there can see how things went.

• Somebody should bring a powerful laptop because we're hopefully going to set up an ersatz community fortress.
So if you're coming and you have a good laptop, pipe up in this thread!  I don't want us to be caught without a computer.  I've made sure there are going to be outlets at the table; Ivar's also has wifi.

If you show up late, the reservation's for "Ethan".

[ April 12, 2008: Message edited by: TurnpikeLad ]

Adon * Amil * Orethan

TurnpikeLad

• Bay Watcher
  • maybe this time
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress fan meetup THIS EVENING (4/12)
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2008, 02:44:00 pm »

Oh, just a note: If you can't bring 30 dollars for the meal, I don't want that to be the reason why you don't come.  Show up anyway and we'll figure something out.

Edit:  But please, if you can, DO!

[ April 05, 2008: Message edited by: TurnpikeLad ]

Adon * Amil * Orethan

Skyrage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2008, 08:43:00 am »

Wow, I'd give anything to be there, but considering I live half a globe away and my private jet is currently undergoing a maintenance check.......well...

Oh well...maybe the jet part was a bit exaggerated...

Alfador

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerous Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2008, 07:40:00 pm »

So $30 in my debit card's checking account for food, $8 cash for a shirt... hmm, the shirt's going to be the problem...  ;)

Anyhow, I will have a laptop... but it doesn't ship out until the 14th, long after it would've been useful. =(

This is a fox skull helmet. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes of fox bone and is encircled with bands of fox leather. This item is haunted by the ghost of Alfador Angrorung the fox.

uberubert

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2008, 08:28:00 pm »

If my teleportation-skills werent so lousy, I would gladly join this! Oh well, guess i'll just drink a beer in this gatherings honor instead, and wait to read about it afterwards.. Hope you have a good time!
Uberubert cancels forum post: Interrupted by Dwarf Fortress

MadKap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2008, 09:05:00 pm »

Hey guys, I would love to come and will come if there is space available. I have a macbook pro with all of the latest and greatest with DF on it so I will happily bring it (we can bootcamp to windows if people can't handle the mac    ;) )

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2008, 09:14:00 pm »

Damn.  It's times like this I wish I lived in Seattle.  Or for that matter, anywhere NEAR Seattle.
That or some nifty teleportation that could get me there without the 6 hour drive...
Hmm, Firefox doesn't like the word teleport, does it?
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

ThreeToe

• The Natural
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2008, 12:23:00 am »

Sorry guys, I talked to Datablue, and she will not be able to bring T-shirts for you to buy.  If you guys wanted to bring things for us to sign, I'm sure Toady would be glad to.  Also, for those that can't make it, you can get a crayon drawing or ascii-art story reward by donating a minimal amount to Bay 12!
Show your true champion nature:  support Bay 12 games!

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2008, 12:34:00 am »

If you can, try to record a movie of the community fortress that is made! It will be historic!

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2008, 04:20:00 pm »

Ivar's is apparently more expensive than I thought!  Well, I'm good for it.  If I catch anyone pulling a Reservoir Dogs when it comes to tipping, though, there will be suffering.  (Actually they just build that in for large groups don't they?)

I like many am over 21.

No shirts is sad  :(

Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

TurnpikeLad

• Bay Watcher
  • maybe this time
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2008, 04:57:00 pm »

Well, a dish costs between 10 and 25 dollars.  But add on drinks, tips and appetizers and I think 30 per person is reasonable, given that we're paying for Tarn and Zach.  

Again, if you can't bring 30 dollars, just come anyway.  Don't sweat it.  There's perfectly good food for less money.  They're famous for their chowder.

Adon * Amil * Orethan

MadKap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2008, 05:29:00 pm »

Do you know if they have parking there or do you have to pay for street parking?

Alfador

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerous Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2008, 06:48:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by MadKap:
<STRONG>Do you know if they have parking there or do you have to pay for street parking?</STRONG>

Parking in downtown Seattle is notoriously hard to find and expensive; plan on paying through the nose.

Or just take the bus if possible. I don't even have a car.  :D

This is a fox skull helmet. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes of fox bone and is encircled with bands of fox leather. This item is haunted by the ghost of Alfador Angrorung the fox.

Fishersalwaysdie

• Bay Watcher
  • Slayer of Threads
    • View Profile
    • http://chupacabra
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2008, 04:24:00 am »

Don't forget to take pictures for those of us who are geographically challenged.
Cannot find self-destruction button, could have sworn it's somewhere here...

TurnpikeLad

• Bay Watcher
  • maybe this time
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2008, 05:06:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by MadKap:
<STRONG>Do you know if they have parking there or do you have to pay for street parking?</STRONG>

Although parking downtown is tough, it's a little easier on the waterfront because the whole lot underneath the viaduct (basically along the entire waterfront) is public parking.  Since they don't charge for public parking after 6:00 PM, you'll only have to pay a buck for a half hour of parking.

There are usually spaces under the viaduct, especially if you look up north a bit - turn east on Pine from Alaskan and you're in a lot that almost always has spaces.  This is like five blocks north of Ivars.

Adon * Amil * Orethan
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6