Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Most effective way of moving magma?  (Read 589 times)

Goodwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Most effective way of moving magma?
« on: August 19, 2011, 08:50:58 pm »

So I discovered a magma seas around 100 z levels below my fort, and am looking for the best way to move it up to my main fort area. What would be the best way to move it up, and once its up, how would I move it across the map?

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
Re: Most effective way of moving magma?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2011, 08:57:47 pm »

Well, if you want pure efficiency, there's the magma piston; cave-in a column of solid rock on top of magma, the magma will teleport to the top.  Just make sure not to piston onto semi-molten rock, otherwise it will all disappear...

If you want a pump stack, look at a better magma pump stack.

For "I need to get as much magma as possible to the surface as quickly as possible," look at the Mechanical Erupting Volcano (though note, the setup is not quick, only the magma being brought to the surface)

If you don't want to lose any magma once it's up (say through the piston method) then you'll want to move it via pump stack, ie
Side view:
Code: [Select]
  PP PP PP PP->
MM██_██_██_██->
p-pump
M-magma source
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 09:04:28 pm by Frelock »
All generalizations are false....including this one.

Cyprinus

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2011, 08:58:25 pm »

You could just build magma-powered forges by the magma sea; otherwise, I've heard a pump-stack is the best way to go:

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Magma_forge
http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Pump_stack#Pump_stack

Usually, pumping magma up 100Z levels will murder your framerate, but an improved pump stack (at the link above) should help ease the load on your computer. Once the magma is up to whatever level you want it to be at, it behaves (IIRC) much like water (though you need to use magma-safe floodgates and such).

Personally, I've never bothered with magma: I'm new to the fora, haven't played too much, and generally lack the patience needed to get to the magma sea :\

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2011, 11:48:24 pm »

I have recently first gotten into lava manipulation, and ended up just building my magma forges/smelters/kilns in my new workshop area down 100 z-levels.

Works out perfectly, no drawbacks that I could see, as compared to pumping magma up 100 layers.

EDIT:

well, I guess it would be the first to be hit by clowns, but if I got to the point of losing my workshop to !!FUN!! induced by clowns, losing my workshop first wouldn't be of any matter.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

PainRack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2011, 02:18:45 am »

Collecting and moving in bricks for a magma kiln tends to get very tedious when you have to go down 100 z. Especially if caverns forces long detours.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2011, 02:52:32 am »

Just dump the materials for the forge down a 100z pit, it halves the production time, all you need is time to haul the crap back up...  You could leave your stockpile down there too, then do most of your crafting down there also.
I find it's fine leaving the forges down there since most of what i forge is redundant, i don't immediately need that 500 iron bars, or coke, but ido need a small handful of weapons and armour which my haulers can easily drag up 100 levels..
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.