Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fiasco  (Read 1074 times)

Duntada Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Fiasco
« on: August 19, 2011, 07:07:45 pm »

We recently played a new tabletop RPG at the game shop I go to called Fiasco.

In it you make a movie by rolling up the relationships between each character, as well as the location, need or item that holds it together.

Everyone either sets up or resolves their scenes and gains dice through it and such. The goal is basically to spiral everything out of control in an amusing fashion.

In our game we had two mebers of the Adams Family, an Interpol agent trying to get his tax agent buddy to shut down his side business partner, who was working with me to sell drugs, while my ex and I fought over a signed painting of George Washington, while his best friend and him talked through their relationship problems while shooting a vintage machinegun.

I wish to see how games go from others on this board.

On a side note, I'm buying the book, just to get an awesome table to roll on to get all parties tied together in other tabletop games.
Girlinhat: The biggest issue seems to be size.  A 1x1 room would allow for maximum child desecration.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fiasco
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2011, 07:41:02 pm »

It's interesting.  We tried a post-apocalyptic (fallout) skin for it, and one about MacMurdo station that paralleled The Thing.  VSCA has a pretty cool looking skin based on The Beast (film about a tank crew during the 1980s Afghanistan war).

It's fun, but not for everyone.  I think you need all the participants to be interested in collaboratively creating a story.  Often, more traditional minded GMs dont want to share control and many players just want to experience their part in a story without having to write it.  So its not for everyone.

I think theres a pretty large trend towards these rules-light games with shared or otherwise inovative narrative-control.  And I think it's largely masturbatory.  I think most gamers just want to take part in an adventure, and most GMs are inspired to tell stories.  The overly clever collaborative story telling in games like Fiasco, DitV, Smallville, and to a lesser extent FATE, is all very cool -- but in many ways its counter productive to just telling a story and playing a game.  Like it is written for the entertainment of the game designers themselves or part time theater folks, and not gamers at large.

Which is fine, Fiasco is built for one-shots and can be played out in an hour or two.  You're not going to play every weekend, and wont cary characters or continuity between games.  So it does what it sets out to do, and does it well. 

I just picked up a PDF of Hollowpoint which is supposed to be similar but different.  Have not read through it yet.