Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: titan trap idea  (Read 1118 times)

Xotano

• Bay Watcher
  • Elite Head Collector
    • View Profile
titan trap idea
« on: August 19, 2011, 06:07:19 pm »

bridge supported by a support, one lever for the bridge and one for the support incase the bridge fails, not sure if it would work but it sounded like fun, and !!fun!!
"Engraved on the wall is a masterful depiction of a human by Logrin.  The artwork relates to Xotano Beastblood The Everseeing Dwelling of Clouds the human vampire recruiting some new human shields companions after his encounter with Ral Firewealthy the Warm Flicker the dragon, during which his face was melted off."

300 human/elf/dwarf/goblin/kobold bodies 20 random animal/fish/bird bodies and 3 dragon bodies all in one backpack. fun stuff.

HorridOwn4ge

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything is average nowadays...
    • View Profile
Re: titan trap idea
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2011, 06:18:07 pm »

Bridges won't retract after a certain weight and I don't know if they can be build on a support.
Quote from: SmileyMan
I got fed up with my fortress, so I decided to kill everyone (abandon is for elves) with a cave-in.

OK, cave-ins were always pretty deadly, but with the new falling object damage they are downright brutal.  As far as I can make out from the logs, many people were killed by the flying bodies of other victims.  One baby's corpse ricocheted off three other people, two walls and the floor.

Xotano

• Bay Watcher
  • Elite Head Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2011, 06:20:18 pm »

yea thats what i was thinking too i'll have to test it tho, my thoughts were that if you could build a bridge on a support you could collapse the bridge if it was to heavy to go up, dropping whatever is on it into whatever is below, but yea might or might not work
"Engraved on the wall is a masterful depiction of a human by Logrin.  The artwork relates to Xotano Beastblood The Everseeing Dwelling of Clouds the human vampire recruiting some new human shields companions after his encounter with Ral Firewealthy the Warm Flicker the dragon, during which his face was melted off."

300 human/elf/dwarf/goblin/kobold bodies 20 random animal/fish/bird bodies and 3 dragon bodies all in one backpack. fun stuff.

Eddren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2011, 06:44:38 pm »

Just do it the standard way: A floor and a support, and a pressure-plate about two tiles away.
Ah, my dwarven heart beats with fierce pride for this.  I can't take it anymore!  I have to go do something profound.

Xotano

• Bay Watcher
  • Elite Head Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2011, 07:18:23 pm »

yea floor would work too and you cant build em directly ontop of a support but you can build em on a floor or wall build onto a support, stil havnt checked if the whole thing falls all at once, it should do unless bridges are somehow not affected by gravity

by "em" i mean bridges

floor should be a lot easier but slower to build and reset then a bridge
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 07:27:48 pm by Xotano »

Eddren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2011, 07:33:00 pm »

Well, let's put it this way: That design would require several components:
1: Two supports, on each end of wherever you want your bridge.
2: Two floors, on top of each support.
3: A bridge in between the floors,
And finally 4: A Pressure-Plate linked to both supports, so that they will collapse, thus bringing the Titan down.
Ah, my dwarven heart beats with fierce pride for this.  I can't take it anymore!  I have to go do something profound.

Xotano

• Bay Watcher
  • Elite Head Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2011, 07:38:26 pm »

how far can you build off of something before you start to need supports to keep it up?

also i was thinking i'd only need 1 support, on the side the bridge would be connected to for it to be able to raise in that direction, i'm pretty new tho i don't know how everything works, also who's to say it wouldn't use a lever hidden in the base near where your dwarfs are instead of a pressure plate
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 07:44:09 pm by Xotano »

Eddren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2011, 07:52:02 pm »

Who's to say that the Titan's always going to be your primary concern, and you have the time to focus long enough to pull it?
Trust me. For this instance, those are way better.

Xotano

• Bay Watcher
  • Elite Head Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2011, 07:56:53 pm »

lolkthen, i'm messing around on a map i'm prolly not gunna keep to test alot of random stuffs, so far i havnt hit a limit to building off of something, either the air is REALLY thick or these rocks weigh nothing i have a 25 space floor path in the air supported by nothing but stairs at one end.

Eddren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2011, 08:07:04 pm »

Also, you would want to retract the bridge(Which would make the whole collapsing thing pointless to begin with,)
Or else you'd be launching the Titan into your base.

Xotano

• Bay Watcher
  • Elite Head Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2011, 08:30:49 pm »

collapsing a bridge that pops up wouldn't make it pop up correct?

also it would just be a chance of tossing it into your base, i could end up elsewhere from what i'v seen mobs fly off in random directions when the bridges pop up (i dug to the caverns and built the biggest possible bridge and smashed all my dwarfs for the lols after i brought it up ofc flinging my dwarfs and animals in all different directions)

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2011, 09:09:01 pm »

how far can you build off of something before you start to need supports to keep it up?

Infinitely.  You can support the entire map on a single pillar of soap.  There's no structural strength calculations in determining when something collapses.

Also, you would want to retract the bridge(Which would make the whole collapsing thing pointless to begin with,)
Or else you'd be launching the Titan into your base.

Retracting bridges fling creatures too.

And neither retracting nor raising bridges will operate with a Titan standing on them.

The bridge is pointless here anyway, just make a collapsing floor supported by a single support.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 09:10:38 pm by Sphalerite »
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Eddren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2011, 09:22:03 pm »

That's what I told him originally, but he insists on the bridges.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2011, 10:08:55 pm »

Additionally, pressure plates won't work because titans are [TRAPAVOID] and thus won't trigger them.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

PainRack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2011, 03:06:08 am »

I'm thinking about using water based traps.... using flow to flood it into a caged area. Is it possible for titans to drown? Well, FB actually. I'm frightened shitless about FBs, as the caverns make crossbows almost useless.
Pages: [1] 2