Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Just curious  (Read 1311 times)

jamison.maxwell

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Just curious
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2011, 11:49:06 pm »

Interesting thing, I always wind up going over pop cap.  Right now I'm working on a fort that I [somewhat] accidently ammassed huge amounts of wealth in food processing and have 81 dwarfs in year 2 while my pop cap is set to 70.  I would like to be able to make decisions in the game without having to consider frame rate, for instance, "...hmmm....  Do I really want to open up the caverns, that's going to kill this fortresse's playability if I go all the way down for the magma."  Personally, I've never had the abliity to play with magma because I lose to frame rate before I have the ability to pump it up.....

YetAnotherStupidDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2011, 05:33:13 pm »

Embark on place with volcano.
Dwarf Fortress - where the primary reason to prevent death of your citizens is that it makes them more annoying then they were in life.

EddyP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2011, 05:46:06 pm »

For example, I'd like metals to go back to the way they were - no more of this scarcity.
Uhhh... [MINERAL_SCARCITY:800]?

I set it even lower, but all I find is tetrahedrite, galena and sometimes gold. I'm talking about going back to the red sand, limestone, granite, granite, obsidian embark information, where coal wasn't a pipe dream.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2011, 08:30:07 pm »

I set it even lower, but all I find is tetrahedrite, galena and sometimes gold. I'm talking about going back to the red sand, limestone, granite, granite, obsidian embark information, where coal wasn't a pipe dream.
I get that same exact embark all the time, are you embarking in swamps? Different areas seem to have different soil compositions and therefore different metals.

MenacesWithSpikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2011, 09:42:53 pm »

Bugfixes.  Like dwarves being able to put on clothing.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
Leave anything to chance, eventually the RNG will roll a 1 and everything will erupt in a fountain of magma and vomit.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2011, 10:13:29 pm »

For example, I'd like metals to go back to the way they were - no more of this scarcity.
Uhhh... [MINERAL_SCARCITY:800]?

I find coal all the time. The new version is exactly the same as the old one if you set the scarcity to 1 through txt editing. If it is set to one, it should be darned near impossible to find a place without any minerals.

700 or so means you will get mostly galena and tetrahedrite due to how common they are. 400 (my preferred level) gives a nice mix but keeps it interesting by omitting some metals from each layer.
100 means you will be hard pressed to find a region without at least tetrahedrite.

Remember, the scarcity of minerals lowers somewhat (not exactly) exponentially with the scarcity value. 1250 will yield a lot more minerals than 2500.
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2011, 10:23:07 pm »

Increased performance could help us make better use of the features we already have, at elast indirectly. Like allowing for larger embarks, so siege engines would be usable again. The economy has been bugged and shut off completely for a long time. But then again, if you are just going to keep on adding new stuff for the forseeable future, this optimization might not last long anyways.

New stuff is pretty fun, too.

andyman564

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2011, 01:01:38 am »

I'd be happy if the next big release was a massive efficiency/bugfixing patch. I'd like to be able to play on my laptop without a year taking more than a day.

what he said.  8)
Yeah.  Thus why I didn't make a trap.  In it's current state the fortress didn't need a trap, the whole damn fortress is a trap.

Misery

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2011, 02:17:44 am »

I play on a machine that WILL run anything at max settings without slowdown, and this includes dwarf fortress.  I dont think I've ever seen the game slow down even a bit;  my current fortress has some absurd amount of dwarves.... like, 130 right now....  and liquids and the caverns and lotsa other stuff, but.... no framerate drop or slowdown of any kind.

So I really would like to see content updates.

On the other hand though.... I know alot of players DONT have machines like that, and could do with a major performance boost to the game.   And there's tons of content in the game that I have yet to experience and mess with, so....   a performance/bugfix update wouldnt bother me at all either.

jamison.maxwell

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2011, 10:15:33 pm »

You're still running at the default max FPS of 100 at 130 dorfes?  I think that bugfixes would increase the maximum frame rate for a large fortress, for instance, how much more pathfinding going on when you getting a ton of cancellations a second?
Pages: 1 [2]