Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Just curious  (Read 1317 times)

jamison.maxwell

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Just curious
« on: August 19, 2011, 12:50:04 pm »

I'm wondering if the community would rather see new content or performance enhancements?  Personally, the immense amount of content that is already available would be enough for me if The Great One decided to take some time and improved performance, i.e mult-threading the game.  I for one cry a bit when I have fun due to framrate, and I'm wondering if others are have the same feeling.  I am curious to hear the cummunity's opinion.  Also, I play dwarf fortress on a machine that I've not found a game I can't play on max settings.... 

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
Re: Just curious
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2011, 01:15:30 pm »

I play on a machine that I cant play anything on max, I hardly ever get lag but that may be because I'm too much of a noob to support more than 100 dwarves. I like all the features, so new content.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Cheveux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2011, 01:18:20 pm »

I usually set my popcap to a maximum of 100, so I usually don't get unplayable framerate. So I have to go with new features.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2011, 01:23:54 pm »

I really need to do that..
Do you have any trouble with sieges?
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Darkweave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2011, 01:27:28 pm »

Lower the popcap and use a smaller embark, 2x2 should get insanely good FPS. Personally I'd rather see Toady add a tonne more content and then look for optimal optimisations rather than squeeze out a few more FPS now and then add a load more content and have to go back and optimize that. Just like the interface, I'd rather him get all of the framework content done and the majority of stuff set up and working and then iron things out so that he isn't endlessly jumping backwards and forwards between optimization and content.

Angel-of-Dusk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2011, 01:52:42 pm »

I'd just like to tell you, that for a long time I've had a problem with FPS; it gets annoying, and I've tried alot of things.

I removed temperature, I lowered my population, I got rid of alot of clothing, removed ownership; but I didn't do one thing, and thats make my 4x4 embark a 3x3 embark.

Shit works. Shit works well. So tally-ho, content!

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2011, 03:47:12 pm »

both,I wouldn't support the 2011 version be only content and the 2012 (end of the world yupie!) only performance.
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2011, 04:01:03 pm »

Every single day people discover new, exciting, and frequently terrifying things to do with their fortresses and that's not even counting the fact that a child could mod in content for their own amusement we aren't starving for new features but it would be nice to have a beach embark that wasn't at 10fps inside two years.

EddyP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2011, 04:22:57 pm »

I'd like to see some refinements to the existing game, rather than additions or performance enhancers. For example, I'd like metals to go back to the way they were - no more of this scarcity. TBH DF isn't a very challenging game, you have to make your own challenge - and I think that lots of users prefer the challenge of making your fortress entrance a giant golden dragon head with platinum eyes and a silver tongue to the challenge of trying to scrape a fort along on tetrahedrite and galena.

forumist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2011, 05:04:37 pm »

More than speed optimizations, I'd like some annoying things to be fixed.

I'm thinking of cancellation spam right now. This tends to flood the announcement screen, and you cannot easily spot the important things that happend. I don't know exactly how it starts, and I don't know at all how to stop it. My two last forts became subject to massive "job item lost or destroyed" spam, after some experiments with ponds.

Another annoying thing is to discover that there is a fight or accident going on somewhere with the announcement that Urist has bled to death. One would like to be told that fun is happening before the end of the party.
Don't quote me on that.
Cacame channels aquifers into submission by staring at them. Cacame is so badass, kobolds give him their children to leave them alone. If Hidden Fun Stuff digs too far down, they hit Cacame. Cacame once took a Tantrum Spiral and impaled four enemies on it.

Tharwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2011, 05:19:54 pm »

I'd be happy if the next big release was a massive efficiency/bugfixing patch. I'd like to be able to play on my laptop without a year taking more than a day.
[Signature]

YetAnotherStupidDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2011, 07:18:17 pm »

For example, I'd like metals to go back to the way they were - no more of this scarcity.
Uhhh... [MINERAL_SCARCITY:800]?
Dwarf Fortress - where the primary reason to prevent death of your citizens is that it makes them more annoying then they were in life.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2011, 07:34:45 pm »

For example, I'd like metals to go back to the way they were - no more of this scarcity.

Better yet, open un data/init/world_gen.txt.

Replace all instances of [MINERAL_SCARCITY:2500] with [MINERAL_SCARCITY:1]

Problem solved.
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

CT

• Bay Watcher
  • Gah zombies!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2011, 09:51:00 pm »

Better yet, open un data/init/world_gen.txt.

Replace all instances of [MINERAL_SCARCITY:2500] with [MINERAL_SCARCITY:1]

Problem solved.

Oh dear god..the minerals everywhere!!
No, yep. That's what I meant too. I want to come out of the theater completely fucked up for weeks.

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2011, 11:29:02 pm »

Do I have an exceptionally good system/weird optimization are all of you running particularly bad systems?

I run a 5x5 with 155 dwarves, with river and all 3 caverns discovered, and still am running at 23 fps. At this point, DF is taking 700mb of ram, and nearly maxing one of my four cores on my i7 2.7ghz processor.

I use the default tileset (graphics are for n00bs... but who likes those graphic tile sets anyway? meh... thats for a different thread) and unmodded raws.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 11:31:29 pm by acetech09 »
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.
Pages: [1] 2