Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: From Dust. Good job again Ubi  (Read 1830 times)

Mormota

• Bay Watcher
  • Necron Lord
    • View Profile
From Dust. Good job again Ubi
« on: August 19, 2011, 06:34:08 am »

I'm fairly sure anyone who's heard of this game will see the discussion depleted in the title, but let's look at this awful PC port from Ubisoft.

I'll first let this talk.

Let's see, what did Ubisoft do again? They not only delayed the PC version of a game by nearly a month, they went so far as to not use this time to actually make the game a PC one, but simply to add the worst DRM ever in a game. Some people literally can't play the game, some need to actually modify Windows settings and remove Windows files to be able to. The game is literally the same thing as the one released on the Xbox. Mouse control works exactly like some joystick, no graphical options at all, 30 FPS cap... Yeah, let's just say that Ubisoft did the unthinkable: Made an even worse PC port than usual.
Avid Aurora player, Warhammer 40.000 fan, part-time writer and cursed game developer.
The only thing that happened in general was the death of 71% of the fort, and that wasn't really worth mentioning.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
Re: From Dust. Good job again Ubi
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2011, 06:38:47 am »

Wow, this is pretty terrible. I just don't understand why the ports have to be so bad (apart from profits and not giving a shit).
I Remember looking at the requirements for a game to be ported from pc to the xbla. It's very very strict, shame it's not a two-way street. Getting really sick of the PC gamers apartheid.

EDIT: ARGGHHGGHG! 30FPS just bruns my eyes. I remember trying to play GTA:STA at 30 frames and almost having a heart attack!
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 06:40:19 am by Catastrophic lolcats »

SeaBee

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolves are atheists
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2011, 07:13:27 am »

Conspiracy theorist mode activated:
I think Ubisoft wants to kill their PC division entirely. I didn't think so at first (investing millions in new DRM isn't a sign of giving up), but I get the feeling that vast stretches of Ubisoft staffers just want it gone.

The DRM, the lackadaisical effort at a PC port, the antagonistic customer service, the disinformation, intolerable forum "moderation" (Ubisoft representatives lying, editing their own posts, deleting their own disinformation only to add more) ... well.

Let the Corporate Machine crush trivialities like "fairness" and "reason" beneath the diamond-encrusted heel of blind greed.

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2011, 07:21:22 am »

I think Ubisoft wants to kill their PC division entirely. I didn't think so at first (investing millions in new DRM isn't a sign of giving up), but I get the feeling that vast stretches of Ubisoft staffers just want it gone.

The DRM, the lackadaisical effort at a PC port, the antagonistic customer service, the disinformation, intolerable forum "moderation" (Ubisoft representatives lying, editing their own posts, deleting their own disinformation only to add more) ... well.

Let the Corporate Machine crush trivialities like "fairness" and "reason" beneath the diamond-encrusted heel of blind greed.

If they want it gone, why not just get rid of it? Why waste time and money on forcing the fulfillment of their own prophesy of the "death of PC Gaming"?

Are they really so intent at proving to themselves that it isn't worth it? They say they're no longer putting much faith into PC games, because of low sales, then add things that could only ever make people refuse to buy their products. It's like complaining that nobody is using buses, then making all buses out of rust, uncomfortable seats and the smell of piss.
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2011, 07:32:35 am »

't is already being discussed, on page two, even:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=64162.0

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

SeaBee

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolves are atheists
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2011, 08:47:28 am »

If they want it gone, why not just get rid of it? Why waste time and money on forcing the fulfillment of their own prophesy of the "death of PC Gaming"?

Are they really so intent at proving to themselves that it isn't worth it? They say they're no longer putting much faith into PC games, because of low sales, then add things that could only ever make people refuse to buy their products. It's like complaining that nobody is using buses, then making all buses out of rust, uncomfortable seats and the smell of piss.
To remain in conspiracy-theorist mode, I imagine they can't just "get rid of it." They have to answer to investors that wouldn't an entire market (the PC) to escape exploitation, but, by constructing the most terrible scenario for the unwanted platform, they can eventually persuade the Money Guys that the PC is unprofitable.

I'm just speculating.

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2011, 09:16:46 am »

Gamers will not suffer forever under the Ubisoft jackboot. The 'corporation' would do well to remember that PC gamers propped it up and we sure as sure can tear it down. Same goes for Activision and Electronic Arts. These companies do not love games... These companies are only interested in abusing games to make some dirty dollars. Now I'm not suggesting it's wrong to want to turn a profit but there's a big difference between companies that respect their customers and the industry and those that are just interested in chasing a quick buck regardless of what kind of damage they do. The best thing that you can do to stop companies like Ubisoft from destroying the industry is to refuse them your patronage. That is to say simply don't buy from them anymore...

« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 09:25:18 am by The13thRonin »
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

Supercharazad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2011, 11:43:48 am »

Gamers will not suffer forever under the Ubisoft jackboot. The 'corporation' would do well to remember that PC gamers propped it up and we sure as sure can tear it down. Same goes for Activision and Electronic Arts. These companies do not love games... These companies are only interested in abusing games to make some dirty dollars. Now I'm not suggesting it's wrong to want to turn a profit but there's a big difference between companies that respect their customers and the industry and those that are just interested in chasing a quick buck regardless of what kind of damage they do. The best thing that you can do to stop companies like Ubisoft from destroying the industry is to refuse them your patronage. That is to say simply don't buy from them anymore...

You're right!

Who wants to boycot ubisoft?

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2011, 12:02:56 pm »

Ugh... can we keep this in one thread please? Starting a new thread simply to badmouth a company does not speak well of the forums.
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Saint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2011, 12:10:40 pm »

Guys, guys. I have a revolutionary idea.
LET's boycott XX company because they made X really bad.
Ok lets do it.
Guys, really we're gunna do it.
guys, lets boycott them now.
Ok now.
seriously now.

But not really because we're all going to keep buying their games regardless of this post.
Hazordhu 2: Dwarven recruits wanted!
You should all be ashamed of yourselves.  The obvious solution is to chain the baby up at the entrance as a kobold detector.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2011, 12:12:56 pm »

Guys, guys. I have a revolutionary idea.
LET's boycott XX company because they made X really bad.
Ok lets do it.
Guys, really we're gunna do it.
guys, lets boycott them now.
Ok now.
seriously now.

But not really because we're all going to keep buying their games regardless of this post.

I boycotted them awhile back, even before they embraced any sort of online DRM.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 02:23:01 pm by BigD145 »

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2011, 12:55:16 pm »

Actually, I haven't purchased an Ubisoft title in years. Hah. :U

Me neither.  The only game I can think of I was vaguely interested in was Settlers 7, and I ended up skipping it because of the DRM.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm very annoying, so tell me to STFU if need be
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2011, 01:02:11 pm »

I might "Boycott" them, because the games are horrible. If the games aren't horrible, I won't, because I will buy them. :)

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2011, 03:22:03 pm »

i dont just boycott them, im happyly getting their game for free get pissed off and burn them on disc just for the joy of crushing them in anmy way crossing my mind. Shotgun blast on CD? sure!, drop them on a drift circuit and wait for a car to move on it and so  on.

Poor them, We are loosing sale :( :'( *cry* they say.

For god sake stop being idiot for a change and youll see its not the market its you....
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?