Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Forgotten beast (Dont know if its a spoiler)  (Read 903 times)

Subdane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Forgotten beast (Dont know if its a spoiler)
« on: August 19, 2011, 06:17:59 am »

I was just wondering, are you not supposed to recieve an message and the game pauses when an forgotten beast/uninvited guest arrives?

I noticed a message in the log saying,
the forgotten beast is no longer enraged! followed by
cave swallow man is engulfed in flames! over and over again.

I quickly sealed off my fortress from the caverns, but still its annoying that I havent recieved a message and cannot find the FB in the creature log...

Yag Alone

• Bay Watcher
  • Grumpy old fart
    • View Profile
Re: Forgotten beast (Dont know if its a spoiler)
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2011, 06:39:13 am »

You do not get the message when the beast arrive in the area, but only when it enter an explored area.

I have 2-3 FBs wandering around sealed caverns layers (those two facts are quite linked), and I get at least one of those messages per season whenever one of them appears to wander in an explored area

Subdane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2011, 07:52:05 am »

Ah great thx for the info :)
Guess I now know what my militia got in store.... FIRE!

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2011, 08:00:59 am »

You do not get the message when the beast arrive in the area, but only when it enter an explored area.

I have 2-3 FBs wandering around sealed caverns layers (those two facts are quite linked), and I get at least one of those messages per season whenever one of them appears to wander in an explored area
You only get an announcement when a forgotten beast enters an explored area for the first time - otherwise, if it decided to pace back and forth between a revealed area and an unrevealed area, you'd get spammed with announcements. Thus, you've got quite a few more forgotten beasts than you realize...
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Yag Alone

• Bay Watcher
  • Grumpy old fart
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2011, 05:49:36 pm »

You only get an announcement when a forgotten beast enters an explored area for the first time - otherwise, if it decided to pace back and forth between a revealed area and an unrevealed area, you'd get spammed with announcements. Thus, you've got quite a few more forgotten beasts than you realize...
nah, I only have 6 of them (still alive) right now. Beside, only one of those is made of pure flame, and I've seen its announcement at least three time (a zoom to a burning area or a boiling lake is quite noticeable)

Perhaps the "announced" status is not saved... If the beast goes in an unexplored area before I save, then reappear after the reloading, maybe the announcement is replayed... I'll try it.

Or perhaps my fortress is quite buggy - I had a very strange mason mood today : the dwarf grabbed dozens and dozens of chalk stones... had to put him in a burrow to calm his chalkgasm, and he managed to build a 338K worth chalk hatch with 10 pages of chalk decorations :s

YetAnotherStupidDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2011, 08:21:08 pm »

Or perhaps my fortress is quite buggy - I had a very strange mason mood today : the dwarf grabbed dozens and dozens of chalk stones... had to put him in a burrow to calm his chalkgasm, and he managed to build a 338K worth chalk hatch with 10 pages of chalk decorations :s
This is strange, because usually this kind of bug is due to burrows. You are sure he was not assinged previously to other burrow?
Dwarf Fortress - where the primary reason to prevent death of your citizens is that it makes them more annoying then they were in life.

Yag Alone

• Bay Watcher
  • Grumpy old fart
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2011, 03:29:03 pm »

This is strange, because usually this kind of bug is due to burrows. You are sure he was not assinged previously to other burrow?

Spot on : A siege appeared during his mood, and my reaction -as always- was to set all civilians to the "run to the hills" burrow.

More on the "announcement" front : I tried my planned test and I got no announcement. Quietust is probably right, and it means that I have at least 7 of those unholy horrors lurking around...Fun :)

Subdane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2011, 03:49:04 pm »

Well my forgotten beast is dead. The question is, did it take out all of the swallow men before it died....