Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Your Awesome FB Sicknesses?  (Read 1532 times)

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
Your Awesome FB Sicknesses?
« on: August 19, 2011, 02:38:15 am »

I've been reading about a few interesting FB illnesses lately, and I thought I should make a thread where anyone can post what epidemic-related thing happened in their fort.  I don't have anything to add myself, because I suck, but it would be nice reading about what you guys have done.  Post the type of FB you got, what dwarves or animals or affected, the actual symptoms, how you treat and quarantine the sick, and the aftereffects. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Your Awesome FB Sicknesses?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2011, 03:03:44 am »

I had a ridiculously deadly FB once, a giant teal-coloured finch with patchy feathers and deadly dust.
It attacked in coordination with a giant quadruped made of sardonyx or something.
After a couple of dwarves died during construction of a cave-in trap to take out the finch, which was living at the bottom of my well, (in the caverns) I sent down the most elite units of my cruddy military to kill it.
It was not pretty. It wasn't all that strong, but it just sent out massive blasts of dust, which sent my dwarves flying, smashing against walls, and paralysed them completely before they even hit the ground. :o
Eventually, after it and its buddy had fought their way up through my fort to the surface, where I had farms and a few small buildings, I retired the fort Rumrusher-style, brought my old adventurer out of retirement, and set out. Made my way right across the continent, and proceeded to have an epic battle with this thing, jumping back to dodge its dust and then eventually hacking off its head. Unfortunately, the mighty hero succumbed also, next to the corpse of his foe. And then the save file got corrupted or something, I dunno.

I really should dig that fort out again... :P
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Agent_Irons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2011, 09:22:10 am »

I had one which was perfectly harmless, in it made dwarves blind. The irony is, only the doctors eventually succumbed to it, as my military had surgery to clean the inside of their eyes. Or something.

So for a while, the sign of doctor status was being blind.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2011, 09:24:32 am »

I had one which was perfectly harmless, in it made dwarves blind. The irony is, only the doctors eventually succumbed to it, as my military had surgery to clean the inside of their eyes. Or something.

So for a while, the sign of doctor status was being blind.

That would have made a surgery interesting:

Dwarf Doctor: Just a slight incision here...

Urist Mcinfected has been decapitated and his head sails off in an arc!
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

(name here)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2011, 10:57:20 am »

I had one which left the exposed dwarves rotting in bed with swollen tissue for a couple weeks before their skin abruptly tore open and bled out. I'm sure it was from the syndrome itself and not the full-body rotten tissue excision, because even the undiagnosed dwarves died of it. Fortunately the extract evaporates moments after touching the ground, so it was confined to the initally exposed.
Only in Dwarf Fortress would you try to catch a mermaid to butcher her and make trophies out of her bones 

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2011, 11:43:42 am »

ZOMBIE ARMY!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=90937.0

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2011, 12:06:11 pm »

feet bleeding, it was terrible, first it causes fever then my dorfs feet exploded in gore and blood. lost 45 dwarfs ()_()
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

elf-fondling human

• Bay Watcher
  • 4-d ftw
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2011, 02:03:19 pm »

panic. Usually when they show up I've been putting way too much time into traps and I am grossly unprepared. Then I try to seal myself in and, failing that, rush them with every dwarf I've got.
That didn't last long, huh? Shame, cause binary's cool. Anyway, an important message: I will be changing my names on every username based thing I use to ASCIt on/around 10/1. Consolidating, I guess you could say.

Duntada Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2011, 06:51:39 pm »

I had one that somehow caused my dwarves to remove all their clothes, run about 10 Urists while trailing blood, then die of suffocation.

I like to think it gave them human like alohol tolerance and they got frat boy drunk, went streaking, fell to the ground and drowned in their own vomit.
Girlinhat: The biggest issue seems to be size.  A 1x1 room would allow for maximum child desecration.

Kelenyche

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2011, 07:53:07 pm »

Shortly after my three warriors decimated three fb's simultaneously, I started noticing flashing +'s all around my fort.  I checked it out, and my dwarves' hearts were going rotten.  It's been two years since, with maybe twelve dwarves total infected, but still no rotten-heart-related deaths.  I like to assume it's a metaphorical rotten heart, and it just turned them into really mean-spirited dwarves. 
Also, they're still flashing red +'s, so it's going to be really hard to tell when one of my warriors gets an arm lopped off. : /

ImBocaire

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALL_WORK] [NO_PLAY] [IS_DULL_BOY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2011, 07:59:19 pm »

I had a beast (jelly opal humanoid) with instantaneous-full-body-necrosis-inducing deadly dust. It was spectacular; my militia members were emitting miasma as they flew across the room and burst.
[STATE_ADJ:GAS:boiling fish woman]

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2011, 11:46:36 pm »

I had a beast (jelly opal humanoid) with instantaneous-full-body-necrosis-inducing deadly dust. It was spectacular; my militia members were emitting miasma as they flew across the room and burst.

I was wondering...does miasma affect sentient beings other than dwarves?  Can you weaponize miasma to work against invaders or something?
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2011, 12:20:21 am »

Just had my first brush with deadly FB shenanigans.

A humanoid composed of clear zircon with antennae and poisonous vapors came to my fortress. My steel weaponry was able to subdue it eventually, but it got off a couple blasts of vapor first. Out of 14 military dwarves, six were caught in the blast and fell over paralyzed shortly after the battle. Not long after that, they all suffocated because their lungs couldn't move.

Haven't gone long enough to know whether the extract will spread disease style through the fort, but if it does I'm screwed.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2011, 01:56:43 am »

Made of vomit. Died quickly. Deadly dust. Covered entire military. Necrosis and extreme bloating. Cleaned up, teeth were hilariously bad. Skin, fat and muscle were apparently gone, leaving dwarven skeletons with organs, apparently. It was interesting.

Jakob

• Bay Watcher
  • !!FABULOUS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2011, 01:32:46 pm »

I never got one but a friend of mine said he had one where the blood sent off noxious clouds that spread the disease. It had delayed effects so when the military walked back into the fortress, all of their eyes melted and they went insane and started killing everyone till they randomly died and their blood continued their work.
Build a replica of the Krusty Krab around the creature, then lock prisoners customers inside it so that the sponge can mutilate them take their order.