Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: biohazard suits  (Read 1286 times)

flieroflight

• Bay Watcher
  • Worship the nightmare
    • View Profile
biohazard suits
« on: August 19, 2011, 01:56:37 am »

out of interest, is there any combination of gear that leaves no skin exposed on a dwarf and so would theoretically prevent forgotten beast deadly dust from coming into contact with the skin and so allowing a military force to fight fbs easily?
Bay12 doesn't have moral event horizons, it has goals.

malroth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: biohazard suits
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2011, 03:12:52 am »

fighting under a waterfall
Why couldn't my vampire Hammerer eat someone useless, like a migrant? Instead, she went after my only gemcutter.. but sadly there were no witnesses, so I convicted someone's pet duck as the murderer.  It got off easy, with no beatings or jail time.  >.<

CT

• Bay Watcher
  • Gah zombies!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2011, 03:20:42 am »

hmm...let's see....helm,cap,cloak,chestplate, leggings (not chainmail same for upper body), gloves, mask?, err...Boots! can't forget them! Am i missing anything outside of greaves?
No, yep. That's what I meant too. I want to come out of the theater completely fucked up for weeks.

Noodz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2011, 07:30:54 am »

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Armor haves some discussion about coverage. It is a bit of a dense read, but from what i understood, a good combination with plenty of redundancy:

helm or hood
robe
gauntlets
trousers
high boots (chausses seem to cover the upper legs, but are foreign)

also, throw in a cloak for good measure.

Also, it seems you cannot cover the face with head armor. Not sure if cloaks help with this regard.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2011, 08:05:49 am »

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Armor haves some discussion about coverage. It is a bit of a dense read, but from what i understood, a good combination with plenty of redundancy:

helm or hood
robe
gauntlets
trousers
high boots (chausses seem to cover the upper legs, but are foreign)

also, throw in a cloak for good measure.

Also, it seems you cannot cover the face with head armor. Not sure if cloaks help with this regard.
Don't masks cover the face?

Noodz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2011, 08:11:25 am »

I am not certain, but i remember a science thread from some months ago, where dwarves with inneficcient weapons and full leather covering were pitted in the arena (not sure about the details here). Masks were given to some dwarves to test wheter they would help prevent eye poking and broken noses. If memory serves, dwarves with masks were as likely to get wounds on the face than dwarves without masks.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2011, 09:12:16 am »

I am not certain, but i remember a science thread from some months ago, where dwarves with inneficcient weapons and full leather covering were pitted in the arena (not sure about the details here). Masks were given to some dwarves to test wheter they would help prevent eye poking and broken noses. If memory serves, dwarves with masks were as likely to get wounds on the face than dwarves without masks.
Got my first hand science on in the arena with a copper dagger and a dwarf in a cotton candy mask dwarf, the mask clearly does not cover the face which leads me to believe they are wearing it seriously wrong.

BornInATrailer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2011, 09:38:47 am »

They probably put it over the beard.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2011, 09:41:44 am »

I really wanna see how an actual biohazard team, equipped with all the anti-syndrome equipment, would actually fare against a forgotten beast.  Make sure to decontaminate the biohazard and their equipment afterwards. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2011, 10:33:10 am »

Keep in mind that there is only one 100% certain way of preventing deadly blood/dust/other syndromic stuff from spreading and infecting.

A full-fort magma rinse.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

alesia

• Bay Watcher
  • [BIOME:ANY_MAGMA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2011, 11:44:19 am »

My biohazard team is a bunch of miners and masons who build cave-in traps.   :-\  Boiling noxious secretions are no fun.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2011, 12:07:23 pm »

in my opnion dwarfs should be able to crat metal masks,it would be like in Silmarillion with all those masked dwarfs killing dragons...
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.