Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Collapsing Z-Levels  (Read 583 times)

Icee77

• Bay Watcher
  • I gave dogs [CAN_LEARN]. What have I DONE?!
    • View Profile
Collapsing Z-Levels
« on: August 18, 2011, 10:06:19 pm »

So, as I have started a fortress on a plain, I want to ask, can you collapse Z-Levels? and if you can, Can people still come in? My plan is to have a 30 by 30 area untouched on the first level and continue like that for....say 4 more levels. I plan, not to cause a collapsing caverns, but to slowly channel the area from the outtest to the innest. Of course, I have to leave the outtest area untouched, as the game doesn't allow that, and then, I would have a, bridge, if possible, to be the only means of entrance to the area.
So I want to know, Can I do this?

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
Re: Collapsing Z-Levels
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2011, 10:10:36 pm »

I think so, but its gonna take a heck of a lot of digging.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Icee77

• Bay Watcher
  • I gave dogs [CAN_LEARN]. What have I DONE?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2011, 10:41:26 pm »

I am prepared to send in a task force of miners then abandon/reclaim.

wrajjt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2011, 06:43:30 am »

Pretty sure you can. But I would advice against the claim/reclaim. It's too much work when you can simply suit up your first immigrant wave (limit population to 15 or so if you're just digging) and quickly work them up to legendary miners. Another advice I can give is not NOT use the channel command for this, but rather use the "create up ramp" command. Lesser accidental cave-ins like this.

askovdk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2011, 10:04:53 am »

I've done a lot of collapsing in my time, - the link in my signature contains my first major collapse experiemnts.

However, the method I'm using a new method in my new fort, and it works very nicely.
The Idea is to designate:
- all 'inner cells' with 'Up/down'-stairs.
- all cells on the top z-layer with down stairs.
- all cells on the buttom z-layer with up stairs
- all cells on the sides with normal 'mine'.

The nice part is that this can all be designated at once and the miners will dig it out at their leasure. (The only price is possibly lowered FPS due to the full access to everywhere due to the stairs, but this is only temporary.)

When it's all done you have remove one 'up stair', and build a support in it's place.
You then channel out all the side cells, - beware of the corners. It's best to designate all corners to be channeled first, and then designate the rest of the sides for channeling.
With that done you remove all lower upstairs. Remember not to have anyone stranded inside the now floating blob of stairs.  :P
Link the support to a lever, - pull and go for a cup of coffee while the computer calculates the result (seriously, - a big collapse can take an hour for me to calculate).

The result is NOTHING!  :D  All the stairs collapse into dust and you will have a huge empty space to work with.

(I hope I'll soon be able to show my new fort where this was used extensively.)
My HMoM forts :
 Kindletours - A flying silver city.
 Boardstrap - Thermal borehole HoMM5 style.