Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is fishing bugged?  (Read 891 times)

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Is fishing bugged?
« on: August 18, 2011, 05:22:32 pm »

I'm 5 years into this fotress, and just got around to building an aboveground castle that has a river running through part of it... I thought I'd put some of my peasants to work and assigned a few of them to fishing. After assigning them, I soon get the message 'There's nothing to catch in the southern swamps' but as I look around, there's at least 20 fish in the murky pools scattered around the map, and a flock of salmon in the river inside my castle...

I try to set a fishing zone, but it shows (0) when I try to designate one of the ponds... even though there are tons of fish inside the southern swamps...
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: Is fishing bugged?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2011, 05:26:35 pm »

It's sort of bugged.  When a dwarf goes to fish, he's not catching the vermin fish you see swimming around the map.  Instead, he's pulling fish from an invisible offscreen population.  When that population count reaches zero, you will catch no more fish.  This can happen even though there are vermin fish type creatures actually on the map.  It's stupid and annoying, but that's the way it works.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2011, 05:30:30 pm »

Ah... so he tries to catch the vermin-vermin fish... not the vermin fish like molly.

Is there any way to catch those fish that I see in the rivers?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2011, 05:36:19 pm »

Is there any way to catch those fish that I see in the rivers?

None that will leave you anything edible.  You might be able to catch them with the 'capture live fish' job, but that just gets you a live fish in an animal trap.  You can't butcher that, just stick it on display in an aquarium.  Your cats might sometimes kill one of the vermin fish, resulting in a vermin corpse.  You might also be able to set up some way to drain the water out where the fish are and thereby air-drown them, again resulting in a useless vermin corpse.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2011, 05:39:39 pm »

Heh - aquarium will be my next SDT after I finish getting some cotton candy and magma smelters.