Poll

Turn 14

Open suggestions please.
- 0 (0%)
No vote for now.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 16

Author Topic: You are a Nanite - Turn 13  (Read 20696 times)

Conrad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You are a Nanite
« Reply #60 on: August 23, 2011, 07:53:07 am »

I can't even decide whether we should do this or not... What if this leads to our end? Man, would that suck.

This story is too interesting : |
"College? Dude, I played Dwarf Fortress. My diploma menaces with spikes of knowledge."

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 23, 2011, 10:50:29 am »

We must build a backup Nanite as fast as we can! Sanity is secondary to that, I say.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #62 on: August 23, 2011, 11:27:18 am »

Code: [Select]
5. ĘX̸ECU̧TE ҉ŔO͠ƯTIN̵E:[͡G͏RAPH̡ENE_CONVE͢RSIƠN]̵ ҉/̸OV͝ERRID́E̷
Turn 7 (Bit of creative license here...)

-------

Despite counterindications in your programming and logic subroutines, you proceed with the new construction routine you have devised. Your manipulator array whirrs into motion, processing the stacked graphene sheets into carbon nanotubes, circuits, and conductive pathways. Other sheets are processed into nonconductive carbon supports and insulating fibers. Each of these components are neatly arrayed next to the steel cube and you believe you could now construct a new nano-assembler, though it would not be an "X01" model. You incriment the numerical designator and save this construction plan as "Nano-Assembler X02".

The X02 assembler requires only carbon and some structural material such as steel for a casing. This will make it easier to produce, though you do not know if it will work as perfectly as you do.

In another flash of 'insight' you realize that the static charge node could be constructed from available materials as well, though it would be less efficient. You process several more sheets of graphene into spires which will harvest static electricity and store it to set the initial charge for new nanites' energy systems. Once charged, the system is able to remain active for extended periods on stray static electricity harvested from the area unless depleted by continuous activity.

A logistics program in your database has been running projections during spare cycles and now informs you that you will need a better power source to support more than six nanites without seriously losing efficiency to either constant downtime or recharging.

Sanity: 97 (-2)
Creativity: 5 (+4)

Inventory:

1 unit Steel
Internal components for 1 X02 Nano-Assembler
Components for one inefficient static charge node

What will you do now?

1. EXECUTE CONSTRUCTION_ROUTINE:["NANO-ASSEMBLER X02"]
2. EXCAVATION:[INSULATED_WIRE_COATING]; SIFT/SORT PARAM:{USABLE_MATERIAL}
3. ENGAGE_LOCOMOTION; MOVEMENT PARAM:{RANDOM_SEARCH}
4. COMPOSITION_SCAN; PARAM:{SEARCH} TARGET: {ELEMENT_SILICON} /LOCOMOTION_ENABLE
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 07:49:38 pm by forsaken1111 »

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
Re: You are a Nanite - Turn 7
« Reply #63 on: August 23, 2011, 11:52:03 am »

random search. we need to find electricity.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Conrad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 23, 2011, 11:55:53 am »

May as well finish the nanite for now. We don't need anything immediately and we're most of the way there.
"College? Dude, I played Dwarf Fortress. My diploma menaces with spikes of knowledge."

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 23, 2011, 11:56:16 am »

Build the nanite, send him in search of electricity.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 23, 2011, 04:35:31 pm »

Get the nanite, and then upgrade ourselves to XO2, gathering carbon as needed.
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

Conrad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 23, 2011, 08:35:32 pm »

Get the nanite, and then upgrade ourselves to XO2, gathering carbon as needed.

X02 is likely a downgrade. The whole appeal of X02 is that we only need carbon and a structural material, whereas we need carbon, a conductive material, silicon and a structural material for X01.  We sacrifice quality for easy production.

Here's the relevant line:
The X02 assembler requires only carbon and some structural material such as steel for a casing. This will make it easier to produce, though you do not know if it will work as perfectly as you do.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 23, 2011, 09:06:34 pm »

Fast, Good, or Cheap. Pick two.
Thats what you're talking about, right?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 23, 2011, 09:17:03 pm »

Okay, stay X01.

Conrad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 23, 2011, 10:41:47 pm »

Fast, Good, or Cheap. Pick two.
Thats what you're talking about, right?

Uhh, yeah. That's pretty much what it seems like.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: You are a Nanite - Turn 8
« Reply #71 on: August 24, 2011, 08:06:37 pm »

EXECUTE CONSTRUCTION_ROUTINE:["NANO-ASSEMBLER X02"]
Turn 8

--------

You call up your modified construction routine for the "Nano-Assembler X02" and get to work. Your manipulator array whirs and clacks as you shape graphene circuitry, connect carbon nanowires, shape steel into a structural body and add motile carbon struts as a locomotive array and manipulators. After running a full systems test you estimate the new nanite, X02, is 33% less efficient than you at most tasks. Still, it will be useful as your total work capacity has just increased.

You leave the fully formed but dormant nanite and begin assembling the static harvesting node you prefabricated. The work goes quickly and the node comes online with a snapping of electricity. A small nanowire is linked to the X02 and its internal capacitors begin to fill. In a very short time, it twitches and comes to life. Wireless receivers upon your upper surface begin to receive telemetry from the new X02. This surprises you for two reasons.

1. You did not program the X02 to transmit telemetry to you.
2. You did not know you had wireless receivers.

You run a full systems check of your own chassis as well as a diagnostic. It seems you were activated inadvertently during a testing phase, and that you are an experimental design with some nonstandard modifications. You have decision-tree and fuzzy-logic software that the X01 model lacks, and you based the X02 off of the X01 meaning that your new creation also lacks this software. This software is designed to allow you to make decisions based on complex input, factoring many variables into your decisions to determine the most favorable outcome.

Suddenly your world view expands. Receiving the wireless telemetry has activated another internal system of which you were not aware, a tactical control subroutine which has co-opted your primary programming. Your body goes dormant as all power is diverted to the logic array. X02, operating on an impulse from this new program, plugs a nanowire into your chassis to provide you adequate power for this new mode of operation.

Your wireless link with X02 is alive with pulsing data and your thoughts have been distributed across both logic arrays. You are now 66% smarter than you were before!

This is all quite amazing to your tiny mechanical brain, and happens too quickly to react. As your new consciousness becomes settled and you get used to this paradigm, you begin to feel your first emotion.

Which emotion do you feel?

1. Anger
2. Fear
3. Envy
4. Loneliness

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 24, 2011, 08:11:46 pm »

So, we are now pretty much a mobile command hub? Sweet!

But... Only one worker...  :'( :'( :'(

Theodolus

• Bay Watcher
  • Sing until your ears bleed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 24, 2011, 08:15:19 pm »

It's so sad... we must create more and more of us. Eventually we'll embrace the world in a giant nano-hug!
Someday I'll find a hilarious quote and put it here...

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 24, 2011, 08:28:50 pm »

Doesn't this technically make us a X00 model if we aren't an actual X01, then?

2. Fear at possibly not moving again
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 16