Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: ocean waves destroy caravans?  (Read 403 times)

GRead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
ocean waves destroy caravans?
« on: March 01, 2008, 04:12:00 am »

Just started a new fort on a beach map with a crazy idea in mind, and it just so happens my wagon is *right on the oceans edge* and I have to rush to get all the items out of it lest they be dragged away into the ocean.

I settled pretty much right here, and my trade depot was just out of range of the waves; without ramping a path to the upper edge, the only access points to my depot are along the beach; so the trade caravan arrives, and I go to check on things at base, and suddenly there's just a pile of stuff where the wagons were and my dwarves are looting the former merchandise out of the surf.

There was no wildlife down there and no ambushers so I have no clue what happened, other than to assume, given how little distance the wagon covered, that it got hit with a wave and destroyed.

Didn't see this in reported bugs or a brief search so putting it out here

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
Re: ocean waves destroy caravans?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2008, 04:25:00 am »

The waves cut off the wagon's pathfinding and without any way to move, and no movement possible to get out of said situation, they get scuttled.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: ocean waves destroy caravans?
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2008, 07:35:00 am »

I've got this situation too.
I woder can we do the same with flood gates blocking the path?
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository