Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cardinal quest - streamlined roguelike  (Read 2022 times)

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Cardinal quest - streamlined roguelike
« on: August 18, 2011, 01:13:23 pm »

spotted this over at indiegames and thought some might be interested in it.

http://indiegames.com/2011/08/cardinal_quest_demo_now_availa.html

Cardinal Quest is a cute streamlined roguelike.
i found the gameplay fluid and while lacking some content and in need of some better graphics, this game can turn out to be a nice little gem.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
Re: Cardinal quest - streamlined roguelike
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2011, 02:04:27 pm »

Why would you buy a roguelike when there are gazillions of them available for free?   ???
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

SeaBee

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolves are atheists
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2011, 02:11:16 pm »

Why would you buy a roguelike when there are gazillions of them available for free?   ???
Commercial roguelikes can do alright, such as Dungeons of Dredmor. There are tons of games in all genres I can get for free, but I still spend too much money on games every year. So I guess, to answer your question, I'd be interested in buying a roguelike that costs money if I thought it was a good value.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2011, 02:46:43 pm »

Why would someone buy a sandwich when you can find sandwiches in bins all the time!

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2011, 02:52:18 pm »

Why would someone buy a sandwich when you can find sandwiches in bins all the time!
You know, I never *nom-nom* understood that myself.  ;)
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2011, 03:01:31 pm »

So I tried the demo..and it's really nothing special at all, I've played a lot better. Certainly not worth the money they're charging.

jester

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarvern Survialist Nutter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2011, 10:39:32 am »

if cataclysm is bin sandwiches then nom nom nom indeed
If life gives you lemons, burn them.

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2011, 10:54:23 am »

Maybe a new flavor of sammich because I have tried all the other flavors out there.
I got nothing

PrimusRibbus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2011, 04:55:21 pm »

Thought I'd try to bring this back on topic :P

I'm totally fine with paying for a roguelike. I happily bought Dungeons of Dredmor and it was worth every penny. DoD succeeds by providing a very streamlined and user-friendly experience, a character creation/development scheme that hits the sweet spot between complexity and hopping right in, and an awesome atmosphere. What I'm saying is that there has to be a compelling reason for me to drop money on a game in a genre where the cream of the crop are mostly free and open-sourced.

Which brings me to Cardinal Quest. It's a nice little coffee break roguelike that feels right at home on a site like Kongregate. I'd likely recommend the demo, along with Desktop Dungeons, to someone who's never tried a roguelike before.

Would I pay money for it? No. It's a 5-minute flash game that's had a $5 price tag slapped on it. Even if it were a phone app, I'd only drop 99 cents max on it. Hopefully the demo just doesn't do it justice and the developer has a lot more planned.
grammar is for essays and letters and second FREEDOM TO POST except obscene material
THE ONLY THING THAT'S GONNA GRIND IN THIS GAME IS YOUR ASS ON THE PAVEMENT

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2011, 05:24:51 pm »

I would buy a roguelike if it was unique. Like if this was actually called Cardinal Quest for a good reason, like being a roguelike centered around gaining power as a cardinal of the Holy See and eventually becoming pope upon defeating the devil at the lowest dungeon in the world or something like that. I wouldn't pay for something that I've played before for free.

getter77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2011, 06:03:11 pm »

The game is due to get likely quite a bit more content IIRC, just a matter of getting things in order post-release---pretty much the same grappling match the Gaslamp devs are waging with DoD.  Neither have yet to reach their zenith, both starting from relatively solid foundations leave me optimistic.

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2011, 08:44:16 pm »

Eh, 'even vinegar tastes sweet if it's free'.

However, it appears, at least to me, that the best rouge likes are actually free.
Hello Hunam

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2011, 11:01:33 pm »

Not impressed. This game lacks most of the depth and strategy that makes most Roguelikes interesting.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler