Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: did this inspire dwarf fortress?  (Read 1915 times)

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: did this inspire dwarf fortress?
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2008, 09:57:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Kogan Loloklam:
<STRONG>Jerry Springer is a symptom of what is truly wrong with America. We are so accepting and open, we would happily bring high ratings to a show that encourages people different from the norm to fight on national TV.</STRONG>

Actually, the Jerry Springer show is the modern version of circus freak shows.  Rather than exploit medical anomalies, it exploits ignorant twats who'll do anything to appear on TV.  The fact that this episode contains midgets is merely coincidental.

RustedAxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2008, 11:33:00 pm »

Oh like you guys are any better with your arena fights pitting poor pitiful goblin slaves against wild beasts or driving traders insane making them rip their fellow apart.  For shame I say!  For shame!  hehehe

Old School Gamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.arthuman.com
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2008, 12:32:00 pm »

The sooner that you remove all televisions from your house, the sooner you will begin to be a happier person.

What's on the TV... really annoying commercials, sitcoms with people always bitching at each other, reality shows where people win by cutting each other's throats and backstabbing one another, and "news" shows which both push a very warped agenda and also spend a lot of time finding the most heinous things which have happened over the last day, and shove it all into the viewer's face with a smarmy smile.

If you haven't heard or seen a television for several weeks, you actually begin to love the world to some degree once again.

Don't get me started on the politics involved in television programming, suffice to say that what is on the TV definitely doesn't make us any less apt to accept warmongering and imperialistic ruling and destroying of other peoples/cultures as a matter of course.

Unplug totally from the 'media machine', and you really do begin to be able to think clearly and rationally once again.  There is a lot of outright warped stuff on that big black box.

[ April 09, 2008: Message edited by: Old School Gamer ]

Currently Playing:  DF, Galciv2, Eschelon Book 1, Helherron, Unreal World.

Currently Playing With: Linux.

Going to Buy: Warhammer Online, Space Rangers: Reloaded, Stardock's MoM Clone.

LSTAR

• Bay Watcher
  • Has Sprung From Ambush!
    • View Profile
    • Second Hand News
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2008, 06:29:00 pm »

You've got a point there.
Any TV I decide to watch nowadays, I watch through my PC. Which reminds me, a couple years back I saw something my brother was watching on TV. It was a game show in which a team of Dwarves took on the might of an Indian Elephant... In an airplane pulling contest. I think the Elephant won.
I can't remember the name, but I'll try and find out.
Googled: It was called Man vs Beast
YouTubed: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KD2gr0AsrAQ Enjoy!

I can remember pausing Dwarf Fortress and gazing on in awe for a few minutes... And then making incoherent babbling noises and gesturing wildly.

[ April 09, 2008: Message edited by: LSTAR ]

"Slaves to Ciko Suppermuffin: Goddess of Food."

The man, the blog, the manblog.

RustedAxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2008, 07:32:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Old School Gamer:
<STRONG>The sooner that you remove all televisions from your house, the sooner you will begin to be a happier person.

What's on the TV... really annoying commercials, sitcoms with people always bitching at each other, reality shows where people win by cutting each other's throats and backstabbing one another, and "news" shows which both push a very warped agenda and also spend a lot of time finding the most heinous things which have happened over the last day, and shove it all into the viewer's face with a smarmy smile.

If you haven't heard or seen a television for several weeks, you actually begin to love the world to some degree once again.

Don't get me started on the politics involved in television programming, suffice to say that what is on the TV definitely doesn't make us any less apt to accept warmongering and imperialistic ruling and destroying of other peoples/cultures as a matter of course.

Unplug totally from the 'media machine', and you really do begin to be able to think clearly and rationally once again.  There is a lot of outright warped stuff on that big black box.

[ April 09, 2008: Message edited by: Old School Gamer ]</STRONG>

Oh now, that's just cynical of you, you oldie ^^.  I love watching some shows on the history channel and don't get me started on my love for animal planet.  Then there's Fridays stand up comedians and hilarious shows like 30 Rock or intriguing ones like Lost.  Sure there are bad shows on TV, just as there are good ones.

Old School Gamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.arthuman.com
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2008, 08:45:00 pm »

True enough.. that definitely was a sort of cynical diatribe I laid out there.

I do like Top Chef, Letterman, the Gordon Ramsay stuff, Anthony Bordain's travel show, and honestly I enjoy the ultimate fighting championships when they're on.

I think the main thing that gets me is the commercials and the news programming, it's hard not to be cynical about those.  

If the sun actually stays out for more than 2 seconds, maybe I'll get enough vitamin D to be able to crack a smile, but until then, it's all going to be SAD-influenced apathy and discontent.  

I suppose the main competitor of the media is summer.  Maybe the power lines will one day burn under the light of the sun's flames.  I think the Aztec's were pretty right on when it comes to a lot of things.

*OSG wanders off, babbling to himself incoherently...*

Currently Playing:  DF, Galciv2, Eschelon Book 1, Helherron, Unreal World.

Currently Playing With: Linux.

Going to Buy: Warhammer Online, Space Rangers: Reloaded, Stardock's MoM Clone.

axus

• Bay Watcher
  • Axe Murderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2008, 02:32:00 pm »

<3 Jerry Springer

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2008, 03:10:00 pm »

Gordon Ramsay... Wikipedia says he is some kind of Scottish Celebrity Chef that stars in the shows "Hell's Kitchen", "The F-Word", and "Kitchen Nightmares"

Two of which are reality shows, and the other is a Cooking show.

That disappoints me. You can't escape reality tv even outside the United States.

:(

BBCA is lucky there is no other choice in news broadcasting here, or I'd stop watching them now!

Ahh well, at least I still have the History Channel and battle 360. Only watched one episode of that so far, but it was pretty neat.

Thank goodness for DVRs, allowing me to watch something other then the nauseating reality tv crap!

... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

McDoomhammer

• Bay Watcher
  • Uses: Ore of irony
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2008, 06:08:00 pm »

Those terms are somewhat misleading.  In the interests of setting the record straight:

Hell's Kitchen- The US version.  Yes, a conventional reality TV show, not in an entirely dissimilar vein to Top Chef, which I also like.  There's bitching, but at least not backstabbing, as Gordon makes the ultimate decisions.

The F-word (the F stands for food)- I guess part a cooking show and part a reality show.  But neither really covers it adequately.  The competing teams never see each other, it's all about how they cope with kitchen cooking.  There are recipes, but they only take a couple of minutes, once or twice a show.  It takes place on a backdrop of celebrity (UK celebrities, mind) guest appearances and documentary-style reports- the latter generally reporting on the importance of good, ethical, sustainable food.  In sum, you kind of have to see it.

Kitchen Nightmares- definitely not a cooking show, only a reality show in the sense that it's unscripted.  Gordon spends a week or so visiting a failing restaurant and does his best to turn it around.  Generally this involves wrestling with staff/owners and, as is often the case with Gordon, a lot of swearing.

None of this really takes into account Gordon himself- it's him that carries the shows, not the other way around.

"KILL, KILL, KILL! NOTHING SHALL STAND BETWEEN US AND THE CEREAL BAR!"
-The Violent Council of Breakfast
Pages: 1 [2]