Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Catacomb  (Read 1290 times)

HorridOwn4ge

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything is average nowadays...
    • View Profile
Catacomb
« on: August 18, 2011, 09:05:58 am »

I'm thinking of making a multi-z catacomb but I have a few questions,

1. Is there a way too capture a Minotaur and set him loose in a room with only 1 exit, a bridge controlled by a pressure plate without a cage in the room
2. Does anyone here have a cool design for a catacomb with a few large rooms?
3. How should I decorate it?

Thanks in advance.
Quote from: SmileyMan
I got fed up with my fortress, so I decided to kill everyone (abandon is for elves) with a cave-in.

OK, cave-ins were always pretty deadly, but with the new falling object damage they are downright brutal.  As far as I can make out from the logs, many people were killed by the flying bodies of other victims.  One baby's corpse ricocheted off three other people, two walls and the floor.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: Catacomb
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2011, 09:20:12 am »

I'm thinking of making a multi-z catacomb but I have a few questions,

1. Is there a way too capture a Minotaur and set him loose in a room with only 1 exit, a bridge controlled by a pressure plate without a cage in the room
2. Does anyone here have a cool design for a catacomb with a few large rooms?
3. How should I decorate it?

Thanks in advance.
1. You can capture a minotaur with some difficulty if you encounter one, sure. A controlled release and containment system will require some !!Science!! on your part, and probably a lot of Fun.
2. I'm rather uninspired for room design, I tend to do large sets of squares or hexagons, or some circles in a circle around a central circle.
3. With the bones of your enemies, of course. Obsidian sarcophogi studded with gold and goblin bone, elfbone idols, precious metal statues encrusted with gems... put the dead dwarf's weapons and items in there with him, include a lot of deadly traps. :P Have fun!

(contribution to derail removed)
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 07:21:28 pm by Toady One »

Saint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2011, 09:35:42 am »

You could do what you plan, though my catacombs are more of part of my sewage systems under my fort, tis a great day when you burry someone in the stinking city sewer, which is also the dump and in times of war, a very effective escape route. Then again that fort isn't much in the looks department, it's a conglomerate build above ground city.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 09:37:39 am by Saint »
Hazordhu 2: Dwarven recruits wanted!
You should all be ashamed of yourselves.  The obvious solution is to chain the baby up at the entrance as a kobold detector.

Yag Alone

• Bay Watcher
  • Grumpy old fart
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2011, 09:51:07 am »

My answer to 2/ and 3/ is by building skull-shaped catacombs. Quite pretty and fitting.
I'll post a picture as soon as I'm back home

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2011, 09:54:16 am »

My answer to 2/ and 3/ is by building skull-shaped catacombs. Quite pretty and fitting.
That's a good idea. What would you put in the eyes?

Cheveux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2011, 10:14:02 am »

Bigger tombs for the nobles or for the legendary military.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2011, 10:14:39 am »

Bigger tombs for the nobles or for the legendary military.
I was thinking of caging some massive legendary creature there, or having a magma tank which could flood the tomb in case of invaders.

Mount

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2011, 10:18:28 am »

Magma for the eyes, of course.

Typically once I start NEEDING a place to bury ex-dwarfs, I start with a single-tile-wide hall, with 1x2 niches branching off it.  I place the coffins in the far end of the niche, and once it's filled, I construct a wall over the near end. (Alternately, if you want to be FANCY, you can construct a statue instead of a wall. ) Like so:
#######
#O#O#O#
#.#.#.#
#......
#.#C#C#
#O#O#O#
#######

This works fine for the unwashed masses.  For dwarfs who've distinguished themselves (i.e. reached Legendary skill) I construct a 2x3 room, smoothed, with a couple of nice statues and a good-quality coffin, thusly:

#####
#SOS#
#...#
##.##

Dwarfs who've REALLY distinguished themselves (i.e done something AWESOME like wrestled the legs off a GCS)get a 5x5 with a statue in each corner, a central coffin (masterwork if possible), smoothed AND engraved walls.  If I can, I'll also flood the tomb with magma, to ensure that nobody will EVER disturb their well-earned eternal rest. 

You could actually combine these ideas with the skull-catacomb one as well:  peasant graves in the "teeth", a legendary in the nose, and a pair of heroes in the magma-flooded eyes...

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2011, 10:24:43 am »

Magma for the eyes?

Nuh-uh.

Platinum walls for corneas, candy walls to become the iris (or whatever colour you choose) and then magma for the pupil. Ability to gush out of there optional.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

Yag Alone

• Bay Watcher
  • Grumpy old fart
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2011, 10:48:48 am »

It's faaaar simpler than you think actually :p

However, It should be possible to enlarge a bit the design and use magma for the eyes :)

Lezard

• Bay Watcher
  • Detests !!Caravans!! for their terrifing antics.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2011, 10:51:47 am »

you could try dropping the Minotaur from 1 z level above the catacomb by opening it's cage in a room with a retracting bridge above the catacomb.
Currently I have "The Breached Anus of brides"  sounds like a disastrous honey moon.
Exactly. Ethics in DF are very realistic - trivial and pointlessly selectively ex/inclusive.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2011, 11:46:56 am »

(response to derail removed)

Anyways, on topic: Catacombs are very, very slow to dig out, especially if you want a maze-like aspect to them. I tried to build a minotaur maze once but failed due to boredom and the toll on FPS; and I had a beast of a computer!

However, if you have the patience, go for it. Nothing is actually stopping you from going ahead with this! I'll be glad to watch it's progress.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 07:20:41 pm by Toady One »
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2011, 12:14:16 pm »

Real problem with a minotaur maze is it will auto-path out with unerring accuracy the instant a door is opened, and will likely eventually escape unless you make a very elaborate system and use many doors.

HorridOwn4ge

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything is average nowadays...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2011, 05:41:17 pm »

I have one moe question let's say a dagger was left in the 'combs would a goblin pick it up, same for armor?
Quote from: SmileyMan
I got fed up with my fortress, so I decided to kill everyone (abandon is for elves) with a cave-in.

OK, cave-ins were always pretty deadly, but with the new falling object damage they are downright brutal.  As far as I can make out from the logs, many people were killed by the flying bodies of other victims.  One baby's corpse ricocheted off three other people, two walls and the floor.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2011, 07:14:33 pm »

I have one moe question let's say a dagger was left in the 'combs would a goblin pick it up, same for armor?
I've never seen fortress-mode enemies pick up items to USE them, but kobolds WILL try to steal stuff and run off with it.
Pages: [1] 2