Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Ghosts  (Read 1813 times)

thebluemonkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Ghosts
« on: August 18, 2011, 08:57:58 am »

What are the general thoughts on being able to use silver weapons to rid a fortress of ghosts?

I've currently got an issue where when I go to create a memorial for a ghost it won't let me (name doesn't appear as a person I can memorialise with a slab) and I was musing, silver is supposed to be bad times for ghosts and attacking one with silver weapons would be another way of removing the spirit.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: Ghosts
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2011, 08:59:59 am »

Silver is only harmful to ghosts in certain mythos, and seems too specific to me for DF. I'd rather this wait until he has procedurally generated substances which may generate a metal which has anti-spirit properties but will be different for each world and require some experimentation and/or knowledge of metallurgy/alchemy to discover.

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2011, 09:07:20 am »

Yea I have to say while I have no problem with DF creating its own mythos regarding ghosts I haven't really heard many stories where you can physically attack ghosts at all, even with silver.

Your issue is a bug which should be (if it isn't already) reported and fixed, I don't really see a good reason to be able to 'kill' ghosts.  Rarely does this happen in stories.

Now what would be cool in my mind is being able to imprison them, like in a large aquarium, and use them for decorations.  I like the idea of keeping ghosts around, particularly when they are of particularly heroic dwarves who were killed in battle.. But the problems they cause are often just not worth it.  It would be cool to have a way to keep them around without having them wander around bothering and sometimes harming people.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2011, 09:10:22 am »

I haven't really heard many stories where you can physically attack ghosts at all, even with silver.
The only one that comes to mind is the Elder Scrolls line of video games where you must use a silver or magical weapon to harm a ghost.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2011, 10:38:59 am »

Yea I have to say while I have no problem with DF creating its own mythos regarding ghosts I haven't really heard many stories where you can physically attack ghosts at all, even with silver.

Your issue is a bug which should be (if it isn't already) reported and fixed, I don't really see a good reason to be able to 'kill' ghosts.  Rarely does this happen in stories.

Now what would be cool in my mind is being able to imprison them, like in a large aquarium, and use them for decorations.  I like the idea of keeping ghosts around, particularly when they are of particularly heroic dwarves who were killed in battle.. But the problems they cause are often just not worth it.  It would be cool to have a way to keep them around without having them wander around bothering and sometimes harming people.
Darven Hogwarts
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

drilltooth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2011, 10:45:29 am »

could just tie it in with religion.. make exorsism a task at the shrine, or, Summoning, perhaps, if your whims ran that way. if/when we get that in the game itself, rather than as a player challenges. (I'm thinking of making my next fort a Warrior Monestary of some sort.)
Pinkie pie cancels cook: taken by mood.

thebluemonkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2011, 11:26:46 am »

The most prominent reference recently is from the oblivion games and such but it comes from older stories.

for example http://www.paranormaldatabase.com/hotspots/W1.php

"Shapeless Horror
Type: Haunting Manifestation
Date / Time: 1800's
Further Comments: The ghost that once resided here has been blamed for two deaths in the house - one man was found dead of 'shock', the other jumped through an upstairs window to escape the 'thing' that chased him. Another story tells that the ghost was laid to rest when a ghost hunter fired a silver bullet at the spirit as it appeared and lunged at him."

but there are others out there, just though it might be an interesting alternative to laying them to rest etc.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2011, 05:19:39 am »

what if priests from diferent gods could exorcise the ghosts with certain proceduraly choosen materials (If the god is relationed with language and children the priest would sing something holding a child to exorcise the ghost for example.)
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

thebluemonkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2011, 09:30:20 am »

That'd be pretty amusing and I'd definitely support that idea.

Neowulf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2011, 10:49:52 am »

what if priests from diferent gods could exorcise the ghosts with certain proceduraly choosen materials (If the god is relationed with language and children the priest would sing something holding a child to exorcise the ghost for example.)
Michael Jackson is a priest if your fort?

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2011, 07:47:27 pm »

what if priests from diferent gods could exorcise the ghosts with certain proceduraly choosen materials

I definitely agree with this idea.

(Not so much with the OP's idea though, especially given that (as I understand it) silver isn't even going to be universally reliable against werewolves)
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

m4davis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2011, 11:59:50 pm »

it could be that theres a ritual that they do to banish the ghost to dwarven afterlife and maybe you will see them in hfs

blizzerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2011, 11:16:10 am »

ghosts should be fleshed out in my opinion, even though that sounds weird now i typed it (aren't ghosts "beyond the flesh"?)

m4davis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2011, 11:48:50 am »

ghosts should be fleshed out in my opinion, even though that sounds weird now i typed it (aren't ghosts "beyond the flesh"?)
actually thats something coming in the update of many months

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2011, 11:56:52 am »

it could be that theres a ritual that they do to banish the ghost to dwarven afterlife and maybe you will see them in hfs
Is HFS actually where the dead stuff goes? Seems more like a prison for the 'clowns' than a real underworld. I guess that's not really defined in the DF mythos yet.
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!
Pages: [1] 2