Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: the paint industry. AKA, paint from minnerals and stuff like that  (Read 1832 times)

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
  • *Antymattar has created a Cat-ass-trophy*
    • View Profile

I went to a museum and I noticed how people used to make paint out of stuff like hematite or malachite etc. This should be possible in df. There should also be a demand for paint by both the caravans(when demands come into existence) and a wide range of uses for paint. Perhaps some dwarfs could be artistically gifted and might get a mood where they want paint to draw a painting. Perhaps there would be some dwarfs who just want to paint. Perhaps you should be able to paint your walls or something. I think the game needs more paint.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
Re: the paint industry. AKA, paint from minnerals and stuff like that
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2011, 09:17:39 am »

Remember when you said you'd check the dev stuff and search before posting threads like this?

Edit:  To refresh your memory~
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 09:19:26 am by Capntastic »

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2011, 10:21:36 am »

Remember when you said you'd check the dev stuff and search before posting threads like this?

Edit:  To refresh your memory~
But I read it. It doesn't mention making pain out of hematite.

drilltooth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2011, 10:23:19 am »

It';s not about the paint, it's about not checking the devlog and future goals before posting.

also, some of that is already possible in mods.
Pinkie pie cancels cook: taken by mood.

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2011, 10:29:59 am »

It';s not about the paint, it's about not checking the devlog and future goals before posting.

also, some of that is already possible in mods.
I know. But it should be in the vanilla too.. Oh wait! I get it! I'm sorry, I'm not suggesting all that painter stuff etc. I'm suggesting just the idea that paint should be made out of minerals.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2011, 10:30:33 am »

# Bloat165, WALL HANGINGS AND RUGS, (Future): Rugs, tapestries, paintings, etc. This leads to things like paint and pigments. The player's skin could hang in the goblin fortress in the same way. It could even be improved like dwarf items.

No, you're right, the Dev_Single doesn't explicitly list everything you could make paint out of.  But people have brought up other mineral pigments in threads multiple times before.  But your suggestion here just has mineral pigments as one part- most of your post is "Caravans should want to buy paint" and "Dwarves should have moods with painting" and "You should be able to paint walls" which is in the Dev_Single, as seen above, and has been discussed in more detail in other threads. 

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2011, 11:47:31 am »

# Bloat165, WALL HANGINGS AND RUGS, (Future): Rugs, tapestries, paintings, etc. This leads to things like paint and pigments. The player's skin could hang in the goblin fortress in the same way. It could even be improved like dwarf items.

No, you're right, the Dev_Single doesn't explicitly list everything you could make paint out of.  But people have brought up other mineral pigments in threads multiple times before.  But your suggestion here just has mineral pigments as one part- most of your post is "Caravans should want to buy paint" and "Dwarves should have moods with painting" and "You should be able to paint walls" which is in the Dev_Single, as seen above, and has been discussed in more detail in other threads.
I dont think they do. I searched and I didnt find anything.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2011, 05:16:43 am »

I support the idea, I've already went to a lot of archeological excavations here in brazil,i've seen lots of paintings like what the OP describes,dwarfs could be able to paint engravings with a mixture of clay and the mineral or with only the raw mineral like hematite or even other types of rocks and coal or ashes.
If you want to see some of those paintings just google : pousada das araras,in english translating it literally it means macaw inn or something like that.
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

chuckthegr8

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2011, 09:44:20 pm »

Cool if you can paint on smooth, constructed walls.

drilltooth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2011, 12:29:29 am »

or, even a decor step Beyond engraving..
Pinkie pie cancels cook: taken by mood.