Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Magma n00b - Questions  (Read 912 times)

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Magma n00b - Questions
« on: August 17, 2011, 09:55:21 pm »

Repurposed thread:

Ok... so now I found some magma, but I found warm stone directly underneath a stair designation... I find it odd for the chances of me digging 2 holes right on the border of a magma pool... so does warm stone also mean a stone right above magma?

So if I stair-carve down into that warm stone, would then there be a pool below those stairs... or something else?

sry... but this is the first time one of my fortresses has progressed to the point of magma-controlling, so I'm completely noobish in the matter.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 11:51:21 pm by acetech09 »
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
Re: No Lignite/Bituminous on map - what do ya do?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 09:55:45 pm »

For once, magma is the practical answer and not just the dwarfy one.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011, 09:58:44 pm »

I haven't built a non-magma smelter in ages.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2011, 10:01:38 pm »

The obvious benefit of a magma smelter in this case is that the charcoal is still needed, but ONLY for the production of pig-iron/steel (or any other reaction that includes coke/charcoal as an ingredient and not just for fuel).
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

C27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2011, 10:04:35 pm »

If you've got soil layers, clear them out completely for tree farming. That should help.
Gold is for the mistress– silver for the maid–
Copper for the craftsman, cunning at his trade.
‘Good!’ said the Baron, sitting in his hall,
‘But iron– cold iron– is ruler of them all’.

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2011, 11:07:16 pm »

Derp... completely forgot bout magma...

Should I just dig down to the magma layers and build my furnaces there? Makes the most sense - I'm not in the mood for an uber 100+ layer pump stack.

C27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2011, 11:18:48 pm »

Depends on how far down they are - you might get lucky and hit magma before then.
Gold is for the mistress– silver for the maid–
Copper for the craftsman, cunning at his trade.
‘Good!’ said the Baron, sitting in his hall,
‘But iron– cold iron– is ruler of them all’.

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2011, 11:29:53 pm »

I'm already down 90... goal of this expiatory mining has switched from coal-finding to magma-finding :D.

Mount

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2011, 11:50:36 pm »

I'm not really sure about elven opinions; do they get upset about fungus-wood?  Because another option could be to hollow out an entire z-level, flood it, and let the mushrooms bloom... 

geail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Magma n00b - Questions
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2011, 12:18:30 am »

they still get mad about underground trees

i874236951

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2011, 12:38:20 am »

In response to new thread edit: warm stone means that magma is probably nearby, but it could be to the sides or below.  Keep digging around, you'll find it.  It's very unlikely that you'll find A Very Serious Threat down there unless you dig into something you've never seen before.  If it's a stone type you recognize, you should be mostly safe.

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2011, 01:41:24 am »

In response to new thread edit: warm stone means that magma is probably nearby, but it could be to the sides or below.  Keep digging around, you'll find it.  It's very unlikely that you'll find A Very Serious Threat down there unless you dig into something you've never seen before.  If it's a stone type you recognize, you should be mostly safe.

Heh I've actually drilled all the way down to <insert_spoiler_rock_here>, opened the <insert_spolier_locaton_here> but never actually used magma to my advantage.

Thanks for the info... My miners are pretty social people, and with my current system set up, they're some of the most idle ones in the fortress... they make a lot of friends and I don't really want to kill them all :D