Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Arch Rival Offers To Settle Trademark Dispute... With Trial By Quake III  (Read 1452 times)

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction

Didn't really seem to fit anywhere else on the board, including the Minecraft thread.

http://notch.tumblr.com/post/9038258448/hey-bethesda-lets-settle-this

I can't honestly say I'm a fan of Notch, as there is something quite staggeringly unfair about a rather blatant follow-the-leader affair like Minecraft making millions while DF is paying just barely enough to keep Toady One in Diet Pepsi, but I have to admit he's got style.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

Actually...

Better to have its own place, though. It's terribly amusing, best laugh I've had in a while, but the chances of it actually doing anything of legal note is... staggeringly low. And ye' gods, the precedent that sort of settlement would set!

Still hoping it happens. From a PR perspective, turning Notch down on this would be a really bad move :P
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Since there's nothing I like more than taking credit for information found by other people... it turns out this isn't entirely without precedent!

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile

Sheer brilliance.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile

Well he didn't say HE HIMSELF was going to play, he just said 3 of his best warriors which may or may not include him. I wonder who he's going to pick?
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile

In an entirely unrelated turn of events, Notch hires 3 Korean gamers. :P

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Game companies fire their legal teams, change their EULA to require all settlements be settled by Starcraft matches, and send recruiters to the tournaments.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile

YES!!! YES!!!!

Deep down I know it will not happen, but I want it to, sooo badly!

Yodamaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

There's actually a book about this thing called Epic by Connor Kostick.

Great book, but it makes the future look horribly bleak if we go down this path.

Because I'll die before it matters, bring it on!

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I wasn't aware the Notch was Bethesda's arch rival.

Krelian

• Bay Watcher
  • Hola
    • View Profile

hahahahaha

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile

it turns out this isn't entirely without precedent!
The net result was both companies having use of the trademark, $15,000 going to charity and good publicity for both companies.
Hmm...
Notch might need to rethink his conditions :P
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction

I wasn't aware the Notch was Bethesda's arch rival.
He's not. He's Toady One's.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

PsyberianHusky

• Bay Watcher
  • The best at being the worst at video games.
    • View Profile

Also look at this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmjYqv-G56I&feature=related
I don't wanna see that, I wanna see in house goofballs fucking up hilariously.
Thank you based dwarf.