Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10

Author Topic: Randomconstructs: Out-megaproject the player preceding you!  (Read 10189 times)

TSTwizby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Randomconstructs: Out-megaproject the player preceding you!
« Reply #75 on: September 25, 2011, 10:55:17 pm »

I am too sick anyway...oh well. Also, wyrm, would it kill you to keep an overseer list?

He has one, he just hasn't updated it since I finished.
I got a female and male dragon on my embark. I got cagetraps on the exits but im struggling to find a way to make them path into it.
Live bait.
3 dwarfs out of 7 dead so far

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 27, 2011, 05:32:20 pm »

What do you mean? EDIT: Ninja's. There are six pages now!
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 05:38:12 pm by GreatWyrmGold »
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

(name here)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 27, 2011, 08:52:56 pm »

Okay, we're actually pretty set in terms of food and drink. Morale, not so much.

Naturally, now is the perfect time to perform a massive cavern construction project of questionable value!

EDIT: attempting to resolve the tantrum spiral by appointing a random dude to be captain of the guard may not have been my wisest choice ever.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 09:08:59 pm by (name here) »
Only in Dwarf Fortress would you try to catch a mermaid to butcher her and make trophies out of her bones 

TSTwizby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 28, 2011, 09:36:51 pm »

EDIT: attempting to resolve the tantrum spiral by appointing a random dude to be captain of the guard may not have been my wisest choice ever.

How many casualties?
I got a female and male dragon on my embark. I got cagetraps on the exits but im struggling to find a way to make them path into it.
Live bait.

(name here)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 29, 2011, 08:36:14 pm »

Seven to date. Given that he's got only average strength, is bare-handed, and has no military skills whatsoever, it's kind of impressive.

Uh, I hope no one was terribly attached to our miners? One of them died of total body rot and another one met the fist of Feb PaintInks the Morose Outrage, who I'm now re-designating Arbitrator Foreboding.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 08:43:19 pm by (name here) »
Only in Dwarf Fortress would you try to catch a mermaid to butcher her and make trophies out of her bones 

(name here)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 29, 2011, 09:10:09 pm »

1st Granite
   I have arrived, and it is now that I perform my charge. At the roof of the world, my plan may become reality. Though the surface is frozen, beneath lies the great caverns. All caverns are one, and so by modular expansion we may conquer the underworld one 10x10 room at a time

I am sure the stout dwarves of this place will be glad for a chance at glo- WHY IS THE AIR PURPLE?

Okay, don’t panic, I’m sure we can at least lay down the basic framework. It’ll just take min- what do you mean they’re all dead or insane?

Just… just get started anyways. YOU! RANDOM MECHANIC! You’re now the captain of the guard. If someone gets too uppity break their arm or something incapacitating but not fatal. We don’t have any water, but I’m sure they’re recover quickly enough anyway.

17th Granite
   We have an astounding amount of food for an Arctic wasteland. Once these minor problems are sorted Cavern Control can proceed on schedule

? Granite
   Hey, Feb, don’t rough rick up too badly, okay? We do need him to mine, after-

“ARMOK DEMANDS THE BLOOD OF SINNERS!”

You know,  I have a sudden urge to be law abiding, preferably as far away from Rick’s corpse as possible.

9th felsite
   Every time I go to a new fort, I learn I can get used to anything, even the anguished wailings of crazed dwarves, being constantly reminded that we don’t have any potable water, and now the sound of skulls shattering. I’ve actually settled into a comfortable routine, and realized that what makes Arbitrator Foreboding more ominous than any of the innumerable crazed guard captains is how incredibly nice and cheerful she is whenever she is not acting as the Hand Of Armok.

Hey, some random guy has just gone Fey!

TSTwizby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 30, 2011, 12:25:10 am »

Is the chief medical dwarf still alive?
Live bait.

(name here)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 30, 2011, 07:55:43 pm »

I need to figure out some way of stopping the inevitable goblin ambush, and also need to figure out what percisely was the previous megaproject in order to retrofit it into something useful

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 30, 2011, 08:00:44 pm »

I'm not sure. I think that finishing up on the barracks, my maze, and making the fortress work were the main projects.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

TSTwizby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 30, 2011, 09:28:23 pm »

As for the goblins, I have a drawbridge almost set up which just needs a lever attached to block the main entrance, after which my temporary door can be removed. Or left in, if you want. Also there is an entrance through the staircase near the barracks, which you can keep, put a hatch on, or pave over, your choice. The caverns are all blocked off, so no need to worry about anything from there. And as for projects, the maze needs smoothing and engraving, though I advise on leaving off the engraving at least until you know what walls you want to dig rooms off of, the second and third floor of the barracks need to be built, a water reservoir needs to be built and connected to the waterfall in the dining room, as per my instructions.
Live bait.

(name here)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 01, 2011, 02:59:24 pm »

12th felsite

The fey cheesemaker has claimed a mason’s workshop. In other news, I’ve set all the farm plots to produce plump helmets for the forseeable future. Growing specialty crops is all well and good, but we don’t have the seeds and some labor to distract the citizenry from their problems is exactly what we need at the moment. In the same vein, I’m going to set most of our idle citizens to serve as masons, and maybe see about setting up a cavern beehive zone.

23rd felsite
There was a goblin ambush, which we somehow managed to fight off with relatively light casualities, leaving about ten goblins and six or so dwarves dead near the barracks. It looks like we owe our victory to a tame giant cave spider.

1st hematite
I’ve resumed work on the pump stack, with the intent of eventually connecting it to this alleged “waterfall” I keep hearing about. I really need to find out how that thing is supposed to work. Elves are here, stuff is being seized, life is good

13th hematite
Progress on the Modular Cavern Colony is pretty slow at the moment. So far only one full room has been completed. This will likely be an extended project, but hopefully I can construct a shorter route to the barracks to speed up completion on that.

8th malachite
I was inspecting the progress of the two major masonry projects when the snow abruptly melted. Now I’m starting to worry about the structural integrity of our oceanic constructions. If we all die in a massive salty flood I’m blaming my predecessors.

----------

This cavern colonization project is going to take forever. We could have started with this goal in mind and outlasted Failcannon without completing it, I suspect.

So, yeah, I'm not at all sure how to hook stuff up. I'm not even sure how to power the pump stack!

TSTwizby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 04, 2011, 06:06:32 pm »

The ocean shouldn't melt. If it does, things will already have gotten more catastrophically wrong than a flood could ever make happen. As for the rest, to power a pump stack, place a gear assembly atop the highest pump and then attach power, either from waterwheels or windmills, to the gear assembly. For more information, check out the page on machine components on the wiki. As for how to attach things, just select the lever/pressure plate you want to attach to something and assign the task 'link to ___' where ___ is the thing you want to link it to. Just make sure you are linking it to the correct ___ (for example, make sure that the correct floodgate is selected when attaching it to a floodgate).
Live bait.

(name here)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 04, 2011, 08:25:02 pm »

18th Malachite
Some progress has been made on the barracks, and it won’t be a deathtrap next time some goblins come knocking. Work is progressing on the waterfall pump stack, but I suspect I’ll need a Reactor to actually power it and I’m not terribly sure where everything is supposed to go. Also, did you know that an ordinary well is apparently a desalinization system? I didn’t.

Status on the modular colony: One full module is completed and is being used for some limited storage, three are well underway. Still, my dreams of filling the entire underworld with modules is pretty far off.  I’m contemplating assembling an elaborate lockdown system, but there would be some pretty serious implementation problems.

1st Galena
I must compliment the previous overseers, everything is going pretty smoothly despite the inhospitible surface. I’ve barely had to get involved in day-to-day fortress life. Still, I should probably work on upgrading the military; proper equipment has always been a specialty of mine and they’re woefully outfitted at the moment.

2nd galena
Migrants! There’s a master miner from the mountainhomes! There’s also a skilled armorsmith! The gods have spoken, and their will shall be done. This fortress shall have the best-armored military steel can provide.

11th galena
The human caravan has arrived, construction has progressed, everything continues to operate smoothly.

----------------------------------------------------

Honestly, not terribly much is happening. I don't expect that to change very much, the colony is pretty much an open-ended process. We might get some forgotten beast related excitement, but not much more than that.

I don't do 3d DF constructions too well, and I can't really follow how the waterfall is supposed to flow, but just setting up the system probably will last the rest of my turn anyway.

(name here)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 05, 2011, 08:41:32 pm »

17th galena
A vile force of darkness has arrived! Were I leading a force clad from head to toe in the shining steel of the Knights Dwarfus, a mere squad of crossbowmen would not give me pause, but all my brave soldiers have are iron breastplates.

Unfortunately, the spear-wielding goblin at their head is riding a mighty war troll. This will be bloody. Hopefully the humans will drive them back, but I’m hardly confident of that.

-------------------------------------------------------

Note to self: do not taunt Murphy. Yeah, this won't end well.

TSTwizby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 05, 2011, 09:07:20 pm »

Ouch... please tell me you at least got the drawbridge set up.
Live bait.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10