Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10

Author Topic: Randomconstructs: Out-megaproject the player preceding you!  (Read 10175 times)

(name here)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Randomconstructs: Out-megaproject the player preceding you!
« Reply #90 on: October 05, 2011, 09:12:58 pm »

25th galena
An error in communication led to several soldiers standing around outside of the barracks. They lasted suprisingly long, considering their woefully inadequate gear, but it didn’t end well for most of them. One of them managed to kill one of the goblins and get to the hospital, even.

This particular troll happened to have some sort of door-related phobia and refused to knock down the barracks door, so the soldiers waiting inside avoided confrontation.

8th limestone
I thought my previous servants were idiots, but these guys take the cake. I’ve finally ordered all of them to stay in the area of the dining room “for the duration of the present emergency”. They'd been wandering around on the surface, looking for stray socks, despite express orders to stay within the fortress.

16th limestone
When I find the genius who decided to put a door to the outside leading directly through the bedrooms he will be assigned to the archery range, catching bolts. Fortunately, the goblins trickled in one at a time and were handily dispatched by the military, so it’s back to buisness as usual.
Only in Dwarf Fortress would you try to catch a mermaid to butcher her and make trophies out of her bones 

(name here)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 05, 2011, 09:32:05 pm »

18th sandstone
Wait, I was that guy. But how’d they get down? It only leads to the interior of the barracks and the doors were locked!

The forgotten beast Thol has come! A huge beakless Kestral. It has large mandibles and it squirms and fidgets. Its violet feathers are fluffed out. Beware its fire!

Kestrals can fly, right?
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF-

-----------------------------------------------------

I'm sorry Murphy, I won't do it again!
Only in Dwarf Fortress would you try to catch a mermaid to butcher her and make trophies out of her bones 

(name here)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 08, 2011, 03:04:38 pm »

1st timber
Thol has worked his way over to the modular colony. I am assembling the military to engage him while he stares at a locked door for no especially clear reason. I am also beginning to regret not training marksdwarves. A battle will probably result in victory for us atop a pile of our own dead, but eventually Thol will get around to flying over or smashing through the doors.

11th timber
That was pretty astoundingly easy. Apparently Thol did not actually breathe fire.

26th timber
I’ve decided to start dumping the goblins to free up cages for reuse. There are currently bets on how poorly this will go.

6th Obsidian
I got so bored I sent the  marksdwarf squad I formed hunting harmless moosemen. It appears to be fairly effective training, actually. Oh, and the barracks is being finished up. Also, we have a manager and I’ve finally started making iron, but it’ll be a while before we get serious armor production.

9th obsidian
Why is there a gigantic pile of forbidden rock and magnite just sitting around? Seriously, I want an explanation here.

25th obsidian
You know, maybe I shouldn’t have ordered the construction of the barracks 3rd-story walls before the completion of the floor. Now half my masons have been stranded by their own stupidity.

1st granite
Apparently I’ve been removed from my position on account of reckless disregard for masonic stupidity. My successor has been instructed to get them down and continue my modular colony project.

SAVE: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=5038

So, yeah, finish up the barracks, figure out how percisely the waterfall is supposed to be assembled, and continue with the modular colony. Also, could someone upload the map so I can PoI it?

TSTwizby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 10, 2011, 07:22:40 pm »

I can take another turn if needed, but I would prefer to wait a week or so.
I got a female and male dragon on my embark. I got cagetraps on the exits but im struggling to find a way to make them path into it.
Live bait.
3 dwarfs out of 7 dead so far

The Master

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 10, 2011, 07:58:41 pm »

Alot of things have come up, I'm unable to do my turn. Feel free to take a turn TSTwizby.
Holy jesus I thought I was ready but nothing could have prepared me for this
Hush, little Asea, don't you cry.
If he notices we'll surely die!
You. Made. Asea. CRY.

TSTwizby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 12, 2011, 07:36:54 pm »

Alright, I'll get started then. Expect an update in the next few days.
I got a female and male dragon on my embark. I got cagetraps on the exits but im struggling to find a way to make them path into it.
Live bait.

TSTwizby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 17, 2011, 11:11:01 pm »

Sorry for the long delay, I've rather let things get on top of me. I'll try to get an update up tomorrow, but probably won't be able to until Wednesday or Thursday.
Live bait.

The Master

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 20, 2011, 04:26:34 pm »

When I had said things had come up, I meant my computer DIED. It's fixed now, and I'd gladly take a turn after TSTwizby. LONG LIVE RANDOMCONSTRUCTS!
You. Made. Asea. CRY.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 20, 2011, 04:50:16 pm »

Speaking of Randomconstructs, how many random constructions (i.e. megaprojects) have been completed?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

TSTwizby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 21, 2011, 06:29:06 pm »

Again, sorry for the long delay.

Granite 1: Well, so much for retirement. Once again I have been chosen to lead this fortress. Though after what has happened these past months, I can't say I balme them.

We've taken heavy losses. That dwarf that looks like Rick died a while back, not sure exactly when. Our other miner's gotten a lot better, but I'm training up one of our cheesemakers just in case. And to speed up any projects I work on in the future.

I've been watching what that new overseer had been up to, and I'm kind of interested in these rooms he's been building out in the caverns. There's not much point to them yet, but if you put some decent furniture inside they would be great for bedrooms, as they are incredibly easy to seal off from the outside. I'll have to look into this once they are closer to being complete.

First things first though... I'm just going to throw masons at this problem until it goes away. I've suspended the construction of everything except the edge of the floor, so with luck that will be the next thing that gets done and we won't have to waste time tearing down the walls to escape. Once the floor and walls here are finished, I'll set up some scaffolding on the outside and roof over the place. With any luck, that won't take long, and I can restart work on my magnum opus.

I've begun digging out a reservoir. Once this is emptied, I'm planning on constructing a set of raised platforms above ground and building some windmills to power it.

Granite 2: It has come to my attention that we are suffering from a lack of wood.

As we seem to have clear-cut the trees in the area, the only solution for the time being is to explore the caverns. I've begun construction of a passageway down to one of the more isolated areas, in the hope that it will be safer and easier to block off. To help prevent this from being a problem in the future, I've also begun plans for a mushroom nursery underground, but I shall wait to put them into practice until the miners are finished with the reservoir.

3 Granite:

It seems that there are a few things that I had not been told about.

also, for some reason, we have a berserk child locked in his room, and there's a mason who seems to have been locked behind a floodgate for a month or two without anyone noticing. And, the reason that no trees are being cut down is not, in fact that they were clear cut, but that our only woodcutters are either trapped on the barracks or stuck on military duty, since for some reason every single one of the recruits has been ordered to full time training. I've put a stop to that, and maybe things will start moving faster now.

I don't think any project except for yours has actually been completed, though the Master's is coming along and I'm very close to finishing mine. (name here)'s is of such a scale that I can't really tell if I'll finish or not; I might get it done, but I could just as easily not, depending on how things play out. I probably won't have time to finish my secondary project, namely the water reservoir, but I'll definitely get a huge chunk of it out of the way. I'll probably update again tomorrow, but maybe not until Sunday.

Live bait.

The Master

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: October 21, 2011, 06:54:14 pm »

FANTASTIC! also, can I be redorfed as Rick again? Thankfully, you never specified if it really was Rick who died.
You. Made. Asea. CRY.

TSTwizby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 22, 2011, 11:06:42 pm »

Here you go

Granite 25: You've sure got that right...

Most of them are nothing much to look at, though we've got a decent armorer and one of them knows enough about diagnosis that I've taken him on to help with doctoring, though she is kind of odd. On the other hand, we've got a high master smith, who has some skill with crossbows as well. I've set her to start training with the marksdwarves.

...There are 26 of them in all. One has to wonder what's going on out there that drives them here, of all places...

Slate 17: Finally!

All the trapped masons are free, and progress begins on the other projects. On the other hand, the mayor just walked over to me and demanded to know why I hadn't made any bismuth bronze items for him yet. So I guess these things are two sided.

Felsite 1: Well, one of our architects has gone the same way as onul, and is currently running around a leatherworks muttering 'Okonnursher Sobirusen'.

I've begun constructing a jail so that when the mayor undergoes his inevitable disappointment about the bismuth bronze, he does something less permanent than just killing someone.

Felsite 8: And the architect has created an amazing pair of pants.

Like the others, he does not seem to recall anything which happened while he was possessed. Though in this case, that was not much of a loss. Some of our metalworkers have finally found the time to melt down some bismuth bronze items we had lying around, so perhaps there is hope for the mayor yet. Work has begun on the barracks ceiling, and the pump stack is almost complete. Work on the reservoir is understandably slow.

I've ordered some more picks forged, but this will understandably take some time.

Felsite 13: And just when you think things can't get any worse...

Yeah, this can't end well. And Master, do you want to be anyone in particular (such as male/female, military, cheesemaker, etc.)? If I recall correctly, you said you escaped the fortress a while back and paid some dwarf (the miner) to be your lookalike. I can say you came back with one of the waves of refugees immigrants.
Live bait.

The Master

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 23, 2011, 12:23:53 pm »

Say that I was discovered by the queen's spies and dragged back here. Just pick a random female dwarf and give her the custom profession Madlady.
You. Made. Asea. CRY.

(name here)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 23, 2011, 09:17:11 pm »

My project is intended to more-or-less fill the caverns horizontally and then start expanding vertically as required. Think of it as a job-creation program more than something that is actually expected to be finished.

Incidentally, the idea was that eventually enough rooms would be constructed that virtually the entire fortress could be transplanted down there, with each room dedicated to a specific task.

EDIT: Looking back, Rick met the fist of Arbitrator Foreboding pretty early on in my year. Also, I did get steel production initiated, so coating our military in armor should be achievable within a few years.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 10:13:38 pm by (name here) »

TSTwizby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 29, 2011, 01:17:35 am »

Sorry for the very long delay. I've had a busier week than expected.

14 Felsite: Fortunately, the goblins seem to be in disarray. Unfortunately, the dwarves are as well.

I've ordered all doors locked except for the one leading through the cage-trapped hallway. With any luck, those few idiots outside will find their way in.

16 Felsite: We have rallied!

Most of those who had been outside have found their way back in, two of the goblins are prisoner with two more approaching the cage traps, and the last is currently in combat with one of our recruits. The casualties so far are one stonecrafter and a cat. With luck, they shall not grow.

17 Felsite: Alas, it was not to be.

Still, the remaining goblins are captured, with no further casualties. Work proceeds as normal.

18 Felsite: We have visitors!

Unfortunately, we do not have much in the way of trade goods. I've noticed a strangely huge number of doors lying around, and have ordered most of them hauled to the depot. This should speed up coffin production as well.

19 Felsite: I have been informed that, for some reason, we cannot trade doors. I have ordered our excess clothing brought to the depot instead. I must wonder, why do we have so many wooden trinkets lying around? They are no use to us. It is a shame we cannot push them off on the elves.

26 Felsite: We managed to get rid of those clothes in exchange for some more cages and some chests and sand bags. I decided not to get any food, as we have an amazing surplus considering. I've begun construction of a pitting system in the barracks, which will be useful for training and freeing up some cages. The goblin prisoners refuse to talk about anything anyway. In that respect they are much like the immigrantss. I have been making inquiries as to what it is that is happening back in the mountainhomes, but So far all that I have discovered is that one of them had been an escaped prisoner who managed to escape to here. They look oddly familiar, for some reason.

16 Hematite: The elves left, very pleased with themselves for some reason. Once the masons are done with the coffins and move on to floor hatches, the pitting system will be complete. Meanwhile, the pump stack and roof for the barracks have been slowly nearing completion. As of yet it is difficult to say whether or not my dining room will be complete before the year ends, but I am certain that the barracks at least will be finished.

I've got nothing much else to do over this weekend, so I should be able to at least get another season out of the way. As of now I really don't need a job creation program, so I've suspended all cavern work, though it would be great to take these and use them as luxury dwarf suites, with statues and chests and stuff. We could have a dining room per floor, I'd flood part of it and place a farm plot so there would be no worries about food, and it could be a little collection of pod-colonies. A very neat idea. I'm keeping the steel production going, but I still say that, as far as military strength goes, just the fact that the goblins shoot web makes it pretty much an automatic loss for us if it ever comes to fighting. I'm not doing anything about it right now, there being too much other stuff to do, and since I'm planning to wall off the few areas which are open to the outside at the moment and set up that one drawbridge, I'm not worried about sieges. I recommend that someone, as has been suggested already, pave that long pathway with weapon and cage traps. In alternating rows, so that the goblins milling around their captured commander wander through the spikey axe blades over and over again. Long term solution of course is a flooding mechanism, but that's way ahead of us at the moment.
Also, I'm modifying your story a bit to fit into what I've been building up to, Master. Instead of being dragged back here by the guards, you escaped the guards and ended up here by accident.
Live bait.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10