Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10

Author Topic: Randomconstructs: Out-megaproject the player preceding you!  (Read 10172 times)

TSTwizby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Randomconstructs: Out-megaproject the player preceding you!
« Reply #120 on: November 01, 2011, 06:48:34 pm »

No, absolutely not. That is a very bad idea. It won't work, even if it did work it would not be useful, and even if it were useful, the second something goes wrong, and something will go wrong, everyone will die. So... no.

But seriously, it would take a ridiculous amount of effort to get the water over to the barracks. Right now the building is in the opposite corner of the map from the pump stack and reservoir, which is still 2 z-levels or so below where you would want it. It's just too much effort for a death trap that probably won't work and definitely won't work twice, when the remains of my descending ceiling trap will be good to make an easily used drowning trap that takes fewer resources to run. (in case you are interested or I don't finish it in time, it involves chiseling out the middle of the block of stone which falls, adding a pressure plate to the path a bit before the chamber which attaches to a bridge above the chamber which is covered with water and falls directly into the depression while closing floodgates to lock the goblins in the depression. Pulling a lever in the fortress opens the floodgates allowing the water to drain out into the side trenches, from which a 2-pump stack carries it back to the top of the bridge. I need to work out the logistics a bit more, particularly to get the timing right, but it should let a group of ten or so goblins in at a time and then drown them, and then I need to figure out how to keep the dwarves out of it.)

In any case, just a short update with a cliffhanger again for now.

13 Limestone: I've begun constructing a trap to catch those goblins.

Where the children now stand, I shall build a support. I'll have a path run through the room into the fortress, then watch them come. When they reach the room...

15 Limestone: The first good news in a month!

23 Limestone: One of the children broke down today, started punching everyone in sight. The only way we could stop him was to put him down.

It is understandable. Both his parents, four of his siblings are dead. With nothing else to do, while waiting for the trap to be completed, I've ordered the continued work on the modular colony project below. Perhaps it will take the others' mind off what has happened.

19 Sandstone: Now, we shall begin our counterstrike.

Will the trap work? Will the goblins rush down into the fortress, and to their doom? Or will they burst through the doors, slaughter all in their path and claim bloody victory? Tune in next time... or something...

Kind of ironic; that kid was one of the miraculous double quadruplets from my last turn.
I got a female and male dragon on my embark. I got cagetraps on the exits but im struggling to find a way to make them path into it.
Live bait.
3 dwarfs out of 7 dead so far

The Master

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: November 01, 2011, 06:55:11 pm »

No, absolutely not. That is a very bad idea. It won't work, even if it did work it would not be useful, and even if it were useful, the second something goes wrong, and something will go wrong, everyone will die. So... no.
So that's a yes then?!
Holy jesus I thought I was ready but nothing could have prepared me for this
Hush, little Asea, don't you cry.
If he notices we'll surely die!
You. Made. Asea. CRY.

TSTwizby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: November 01, 2011, 08:54:38 pm »

NO.

The goblins are behaving oddly. I've been experimenting with a backup file, and they seem to do nothing unless approached, at which point they either deal with the attacker and return to their post in front of the barracks or start a massive death rampage again. Odd. I am requesting permission to get rid of them by cheating, on the grounds that this behavior is probably a bug, a group of goblins appears to have left the map somehow, and that the goblins' presence, while not detrimental to the fortress itself since avoiding them is a trivial matter once you build walls around them, it is detrimental to the gameplay due to added micromanagement and huge frame drops. My method will be to cause them to explode in a puff of pink smoke, after which I will return the raws to normal. I will either not do this, do this immediately, or do this after waiting a while to see what happens, depending on what you decide. The longest so far I have waited is about seven months of in game time without them doing anything before some dog wandered over to them and drew them to the fortress.
I got a female and male dragon on my embark. I got cagetraps on the exits but im struggling to find a way to make them path into it.
Live bait.

The Master

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: November 01, 2011, 08:57:49 pm »

You. Made. Asea. CRY.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: November 01, 2011, 11:00:44 pm »

YES.
I fixed your spelling error.

Not everyone is as insane as you are, The Master.

And TSTwiby, at least make them melt into a syndromey liquid...hm...maybe one that they also melt into on death...if you do that, you can leave in the melting-on-death bit!
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

TSTwizby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: November 01, 2011, 11:32:16 pm »

The thing is, it's very hard to turn this into something interesting which does not also make the game essentially unplayable for anyone who isn't really seeking a challenge. That isn't an issue with a game you play yourself, but in a succession game I don't like to make calls like those unless I have the support of everyone (or at least most people) involved. Just to fully explain the situation, the goblins are literally standing on the 8 x 2 rectangle which covers the space in front of the doors to the barracks, one of the most high traffic areas of the fortress if the barracks are in use. On the one hand, syndrome-bearing liquid is fairly easy to clean up. On the other, if any is missed at all, due to the weirdness of splatters and so forth, it gets everywhere and kills everything. I've never had any problems with this personally, as the worst syndrome I ever encountered gave dwarves a very mild headache, or something like that. On the other other hand, overcoming challenges like that is most of what makes the game worth playing. Which is why I'm asking you people for your opinion anyway. So I guess, if no one objects in the next day or two, that that's what I'll do. I might not make it fatal, but instead something that just melts your feet or something. Or maybe I'll just make it random. I'll have fun with it. If you replace their blood with a syndrome bearing liquid and then make their flesh melt at room temperature, do they turn into a pile of molten flesh or a pile of bloody molten flesh?

And Master... no.
Live bait.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: November 02, 2011, 06:42:19 am »

How about rotting the eyes? That is actually a GOOD thing, from what I've heard--no more running away from the fortress to escape a scary goblin!
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

The Master

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: November 02, 2011, 04:43:11 pm »

oh alright...but I'm telling you, it would be awesome!
You. Made. Asea. CRY.

TSTwizby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: November 05, 2011, 12:33:35 am »

Sorry; no update for another day or two, and in related news there is an unexpected drawback to the goblin eradication procedure as described above. Namely, it eliminates every goblin in the world rather than just those on the map. I feel that this is too great a consequence for the benefit gained, and thus have reverted to the save from before I implemented the change. Plus, I figured out why we were so high on food. Someone made the dwarves not need to eat or drink and never returned them to normal. I fixed that too, though I very much suspect that I will regret it. As for the goblins, since they are ignoring my trap and doing what they always have been, I've decided to just wall them in and forget about them for now. Maybe I'll dig a pit underneath them and drop them a few z-levels if I can find the space.
Live bait.

The Master

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: November 05, 2011, 01:18:44 am »

THEY'RE NOT SUPPOSED TO EAT OR DRINK!
You. Made. Asea. CRY.

TSTwizby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: November 07, 2011, 06:40:35 pm »

Wow... I'm sorry, I've completely screwed up this save. I'm reverting back now to one I backed up at the beginning of the siege. I'll probably pull off an update by tomorrow.
Live bait.

TSTwizby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: November 07, 2011, 11:56:21 pm »

Here's something to tide you over.

16 Galena: We've managed to hold off the goblins' initial assault with the loss of only one amethyst man.

It did not do nearly the kind of damage we expected when we trained it, but this probably had something to do with being outnumbered twenty to one. Now if we can block off the barracks as well...

17 Galena: It seems we couldn't pull it off.

The millitary has gone off to do what it can to hold the goblins off while the masons seal off the entrance.

18 Galena: some stupid kids are running off to fight.

I can't stop them. I will seal the passage behind them, if I am able.

19 Galena: I suppose we should be thankful for the small miracles.

The kids turned back, for some reason or other. They're safe, though the same can't be said for the dog or the amethyst man.

Total casualties: Rakust Rakustemal, Woodcrafter. 'Foreboding' Logemlikot Ednadzar, Arbitrator. Kubuk Tekkudzimkel, Hammerdwarf. Momuz Rigothurvad, Axedwarf. Kubuk Limulrisen, Marksdwarf. Ilral Rithlutmonom, Swordsdwarf. Mistem Vabokiden, Wrestler. Kivish Nirdastot, Wresteler. Zuglar Rigothkeng, Wresteler. Eral Mosuszedot, Speardwarf. Ingish Ablelstakud, Recruit. Iton Idensemor, Axedwarf Sigun Esmulkadol, Glazer. Rigoth Atirzuglar, Blacksmith. Limul Rungakstukos, Woodcutter. Geshud Regnazom, Animal Trainer. Sibrek Borlonastesh, Fishery Worker. Stodir Ducimcerol, Gem Cutter. Udil Lolkrir, Dyer.

It could have been much, much worse.

Casualties much lighter than last time. We still have four military dwarves left. Sorry, Foreboding.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2011, 12:24:32 am by TSTwizby »
Live bait.

The Master

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: November 08, 2011, 12:05:23 am »

If that's only a small loss...then what on earth do you consider a large loss?  ???
You. Made. Asea. CRY.

TSTwizby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: November 08, 2011, 12:28:07 am »

Well, the first time through we lost the entire military, both cave crawlers and about twice as many civilians. Four might not seem like much, but it's better than nothing. Anyway, this next update was too good not to post now. I'd forgotten about that group of miners I had digging downwards...

22 Galena: One of our engineers has started acting odd, and has closed himself in the mechanics workshop. To avoid setting off any trouble, I'm letting him have what he wants and building another workshop nearby. Meanwhile, the humans, though somewhat shellshocked are willing to trade. I've ordered our excess clothing and trade goods brought to the depot.

2 Limestone: And we have an artifact!

Something to boost morale, if nothing else, at the moment. Most of the goblins are focused on ransacking the barracks, but some are wandering around, destroying the coffins which lie in the path to the outside, for some reason.

3 Limestone: Ah! A new discovery!:

And... and... WHAT'S THIS!?

With my luck, I thought the first I'd see of adamantine was the top entrance to a shaft.
Should I go for it? It's not as though I have much else to do, with the invasion and all.
Live bait.

The Master

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: November 08, 2011, 12:31:43 am »

DIG IT ALL! IT'S NOT LIKE IT WILL UNLEASH [MESSAGE REDACTED] AND HOARDS OF THE [MESSAGE REDACTED] AND LET'S NOT FORGET THE MOST IMPORTANT PART, THE [MESSAGE REDACTED]!
You. Made. Asea. CRY.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10