Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10

Author Topic: Randomconstructs: Out-megaproject the player preceding you!  (Read 10173 times)

(name here)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Randomconstructs: Out-megaproject the player preceding you!
« Reply #105 on: October 29, 2011, 03:56:55 pm »

The doors were for the colony project, though admittedly I did go a bit overboard. Just a bit.
Only in Dwarf Fortress would you try to catch a mermaid to butcher her and make trophies out of her bones 

The Master

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: October 29, 2011, 04:28:54 pm »

Also, i'm modifying your story a bit to fit into what I've been building up to, Master. Instead of being dragged back here by the guards, you escaped the guards and ended up here by accident.
That's fine with me!
Holy jesus I thought I was ready but nothing could have prepared me for this
Hush, little Asea, don't you cry.
If he notices we'll surely die!
You. Made. Asea. CRY.

Zombi

• Bay Watcher
  • Was too long. Sorry Urist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 29, 2011, 04:44:30 pm »

Can I have a turn?

The Master

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 29, 2011, 04:46:07 pm »

hooray, another person who's interested!!!!
You. Made. Asea. CRY.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #109 on: October 29, 2011, 05:22:29 pm »

Is there a list of projects that are in the works? Maybe we can add the projects being worked on according to the player?

TSTwizby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 30, 2011, 12:34:23 am »

Here's an update:

10 Malachite: Nothing of note has happened over the past month. No new immigrants as of yet, steady progress on all fronts, but nothing worth reporting. I've started training up our Amethyst men and dogs for battle, to give our animal trainers something to do more than anything else. Due to the mayor's displeasure about the bismuth bronze items, our jail is being put to practical use, though the craftdwarf singled out as a scapegoat doesn't seem too bothered. There's a small betting pool now for whether we're going to finish the barracks first or finish cleaning up all the corpses.

13 Malachite: Ah! Here they come. Notable immigrants are a skilled woodworker, a talented weaponsmith, and a decent marksdwarf. I've assigned them their tasks as fits. Something worries me about them though. I haven't bothered asking them why they've come, despite the danger. I suspect they'd give me no more answer than the rest.

3 Galena: The Barracks is officially complete!

In celebration of this, I have ordered a day's vacation for everyone who isn't doing something important. And now I need to go think of something to do with the 500* I won from Urvad...

11 Galena: And another achievement!

The reservoir stands ready! The pump stack is very close to completion, only six more pumps needed. I've begun construction of a raised platform on which to place windmills to power this construction. With luck we will have our waterfall before the year is out!

13 Galena: A human caravan has arrived. I've prepared more clothing to be brought to the depot, along with some stone and wood crafts. I've ordered the miners to continue exploring, for lack of anything better to do with them.

15 Galena: Now of all times!?

Those humans better be skilled fighters. This is going to be very very bad. I tend to end on cliffhangers, don't I?

To respond to previous posters:

Itnetlolor: right now, we have the following projects:
    The Maze
    Started by: GWG
    Status: Partially completed, waiting on smoothing and engraving.
    Application: Looks pretty
    Notes: Not going to be finished any time soon, but easy to chip away at.

The Barracks
    Started by: The Master
    Application: Currently contains barracks, armory, archery range, and mass-pitting system.
    Notes: Suggested use for the rest of third floor is a jail.

Waterfall Chamber
    Started by: TSTwizby
    Status: Partially completed, waiting on the powering of the pump stack which powers the waterfall.
    Application: Intended to be a dining room.
    Notes: Usage contingent on the powering of the pump stack which will fill the reservoir which feeds the waterfall.

Cavern Pod Colony
    Started by: (name here)
    Status: Temporarily abandoned, due to low availability of masons at the moment.
    Application: Safe house.
    Notes: Project is of indefinite size, so difficult to determine completion.

(name here): We have about 50 doors lying around, not including the ones I used to seal off the rest of the bedrooms. That is pretty overboard, considering there are only three finished rooms at the moment.
I got a female and male dragon on my embark. I got cagetraps on the exits but im struggling to find a way to make them path into it.
Live bait.
3 dwarfs out of 7 dead so far

The Master

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: October 30, 2011, 03:22:19 pm »

AT LONG LAST, MY BARRACKS ARE DONE! :D
Also, please use the ground floor as a reception desk for goblins to "check in to". Oh, and if you could wire it up to the reservoir so that you can flush out unwanted people, that'd be awesome!
« Last Edit: October 30, 2011, 03:24:43 pm by The Master »
You. Made. Asea. CRY.

TSTwizby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: November 01, 2011, 12:32:59 pm »

I do not understand your request. Are you saying I should leave the front of the barracks open so that goblins go through it, and hook up a pressure plate or something to make water flood it when that happens?

16 Galena: I've ordered everyone inside, and everyone seems to have complied except for one marksdwarf, who fell defending the entrance against the goblins. I'm trying to wall off all entrences to our fort, with little success. Fortunately, none of the goblins have crossbows, and inside our fortress their webs hinder them as much as they do us. Our Cave Crawlers are proving a valuable asset.

17 Galena: They've managed to take down several dogs, a woodcrafter, an armorsmith, and one of the human bowmen. We might not make it out of this.

17 Galena: Our military just arrived on the scene. They're almost completely untrained, but they managed to take the goblins by surprise, and despite heavy losses drove back the first wave.

Our walls are being constructed at an unacceptably slow rate.

18 Galena: We did it. But...

There is one other flaw in our defense. The barracks. Doors in front of it, but since they have trolls...

19 Galena: We cannot, due to an oversight in construction, block off the doors entirely. In a last attempt to wall it off, we have a child dismantling the floor and a single marksdwarf defending him.

This... will not end well.

20 Galena: The mayor seems to have decided to make a last stand against the trolls, giving us more time to wal off the baracks. I never liked the guy but...

It seems he was kind of decent.

21 Galena: To put a final cap on this tragedy, one of our good miners somehow got outside.

Our casualties number somewhere between 20 and 30, including the mayor, three children, and all but three soldiers. We have lost both Cave Crawlers, a Cougar, several dogs and all our livestock. For some reason, morale is higher than it should be. For now the most the trolls can do is topple our workshops and coffins, which someone built outside for some stupid reason, rather than, say, doing useful things like setting up a drawbridgs. Of course, I am as much to blame for that as they are, too slow to act, not good enough to see this coming.

Gah... I was so stupid. Not only should I have made fortress defense first priority, rather than working on projects, but I should have been able to reduce casualties further if I had been more on the ball about where I built walls. Perhaps a third of the military was an unnecessary sacrifice. Strange how no one is tantruming though. This has set back my project a bit, though not enough that I won't still be able to finish the framework. I'm planning on getting rid of these goblins with a cave in trap, but I'm not sure how effective it will be, since I probably can't gather all of them together at once. Then I will build drawbridges, like I should have done back at the beginning.
I got a female and male dragon on my embark. I got cagetraps on the exits but im struggling to find a way to make them path into it.
Live bait.
3 dwarfs out of 7 dead so far

The Master

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: November 01, 2011, 03:10:35 pm »

I do not understand your request. Are you saying I should leave the front of the barracks open so that goblins go through it, and hook up a pressure plate or something to make water flood it when that happens?
correct.
You. Made. Asea. CRY.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: November 01, 2011, 03:23:32 pm »

Since the barracks is outside, wouldn't you need to turn off temperature for that to have a remote chance of success?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

The Master

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: November 01, 2011, 04:38:36 pm »

nope. anyone ever heard of Syrupleaf's ultimate weapon? Flash freezing water!
You. Made. Asea. CRY.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: November 01, 2011, 05:32:39 pm »

That would require a lot of cleanup between sieges.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

The Master

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: November 01, 2011, 05:40:39 pm »

yup!
You. Made. Asea. CRY.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: November 01, 2011, 05:44:15 pm »

Exactly eight minutes after...creepy...
And you also realize that it would only create ice in the tile(s) adjacent to the pump, encasing MAYBE one goblin and maybe the miner you clean it with?

Definitely a megaproject.
Sig

The Master

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: November 01, 2011, 05:46:37 pm »

YEP!
You. Made. Asea. CRY.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10