Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Adding Words  (Read 597 times)

Jiopaba

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Adding Words
« on: August 17, 2011, 05:05:34 pm »

So, I've been puttering around in some files for a while.  I remembered how a lot of times when naming a fortress, I would go searching for a word and it just wouldn't be there.  The most common example would be "Forge", which I've wanted to use many many times.  "The Forge of Death" or something like that.

What all would I have to change to add a word or words?

So far I've added them and the appropriate values to language_words.txt in DF/raw/objects, and translations in the language_DWARF.txt file.  Do I have to include a translation for every race, or would they just not use it if I don't?  Would that cause any errors?  I wound up adding five words: Forge, Epic, Lightning, Thunder, and Murdertastic.  The last one just a random whim.

Basically, while I'm pretty sure it will work, I figured it'd be better safe than sorry, so I wanted to ask those wiser than me if this would cause any problems as is.

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Adding Words
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 06:08:25 pm »

You'd also need to take a look in the LANGUAGE_SYM file if I remember correctly. It allows the game to know it's a noun or whether it has an adjective formy.

Jiopaba

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011, 06:15:18 pm »

Ahh, so I do.  Hmm...

I've sorted Forge under ARTIFICE, so that Dwarves will use it for names and such, and I put Thunder and Lightning under NATURE.  I'm not sure what to do with the adjectives though.  I've seen other words in the lists that are in the format of WORD_ADJ or WORD_VERB but I'm not sure what that means.

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2011, 12:25:50 am »

Sorry, I meant obj_words.txt or something but LANGUAGE_SYM may help as well. If you haven't worked it out I'll have an answer tomorrow.