Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Is it just me, my dwares, their armor, and their weapons, or are titans a joke?  (Read 2316 times)

ImBocaire

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALL_WORK] [NO_PLAY] [IS_DULL_BOY]
    • View Profile

Yeah; titans and HFS can have randomized syndromes as well (there exist diagonoses of forgotten beast sickness, titan sickness, and
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
. I guess the reason FB syndromes tend to be so much more prevalent is because titans occur on the surface, and so the contaminants are far less likely to track into your fortress, while FB's have easier access to heavily trafficked areas and their contaminants are never washed away by rain, and if you've got HFS sickness then you've got HFS running loose in your fort, which means you've probably got bigger fish to fry than necrosis.
[STATE_ADJ:GAS:boiling fish woman]

Noodz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Since this thread is not very old, i have a question: i know metal titans can be nearly unkillable, but what is your experience with titans composed of gems and stone? Are they as hardy as a metal one?

Also, the world i am currently playing contains a titan humanoid composed of bituminous coal. I wonder for how long he would burn.

Fire_fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well it can depend what the titan is made of. I had a fort the was attacked by 2 above ground titans and the first titan was made of dust so a completely inexperienced dwarf could hit it and rip it in half. If that titan was made of some kind of metal then you would probably have a few dead dwarfs. The longer a fight goes on the more of a chance that a dwarf will receive a killing blow to the head.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile

Since this thread is not very old, i have a question: i know metal titans can be nearly unkillable, but what is your experience with titans composed of gems and stone? Are they as hardy as a metal one?

Also, the world i am currently playing contains a titan humanoid composed of bituminous coal. I wonder for how long he would burn.

I once fought an obsidian titan in adventuring mode. It was very durable, but eventually I was able to sever its head. The combat took about 10x as long as normal.

Coal titan would burn for about 9 months, but you'd need to immerse it in magma to ignite it.

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That all depends on material properties. Rock is not uniform, some types of stone are shattered easier and weigh less than others i guess a calcite titan would be horribly beaten by an obsidian or cobaltite FB.
Generally stones are fractured easier than metal and are lighter. Average rock titan should be weaker than a metal one but still vastly stronger than organic one.

Agent_Irons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I had a sardonyx FB followed closely by a basalt FB. In my experience, they're nearly impossible to destroy. They don't bleed very much, so even my steel weapons mostly left minor flesh wounds. My hammers weren't heavy enough to actually shatter any of the bones, and without pain, they didn't do much good anyway. I eventually zerg-swarmed it and got it to fall 20+ z-levels into a lake.

(name here)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

My experience is that cotton candy shortswords can take down even metal titans, although a bit too slowly if it breaths instant death at them. Reasonably experienced dwarves in full steel can go toe-to-toe with a metal titan long enough for cumulative damage to build up.
Only in Dwarf Fortress would you try to catch a mermaid to butcher her and make trophies out of her bones 

Angel-of-Dusk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

In my fort, theres a bronze colossus that has slain 30ish axe/hammerlords, and doesn't show any signs of stopping.

Its locked away, now.

Until a true dwarven warrior can tackle the beast...

Umune

• Bay Watcher
  • Not all who wander are lost.
    • View Profile

Via 40z drop?

Angel-of-Dusk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Via 40z drop?

Screw that. No way Im going to let him simply die to a 40z level drop, he's taking on 4 seiges worth of goblins easy, I got a lil arena goin. Maybe some day if my fort dies, I'll make a dorf in adventure and try and slay the creature.
Pages: 1 [2]