Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Is it just me, my dwares, their armor, and their weapons, or are titans a joke?  (Read 2319 times)

Goodwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So I had 2 Titans come in recently. I sent in my military, all equipped with either full adamntine armor and adamantine battleaxes, or equipped with leather armor and adamantine crossbows with adamantine bows. When 2 melee dwares got their, they beat down the titan and beheaded him. They werent even that skilled! So are titans really just a weak pathetic excuse for a megabeast? I had more trouble with giant badgers!

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile

Titans are not all that much.  I've never had one last more than a few seconds against any of my military.

Dragons can give you a bad day if your dwarves get caught in the dragon's fire breath but marksdwarves can take them out from a distance quite easily.

It's the Forgotten Beasts and their random syndromes that you gotta watch out for.  Even if a FB goes down quick, there's always the potential for its syndrome to get loose in your fort and wreak havoc.

To be honest, the worst thing I usually run into are goblin archers or lashers.  Even the best armed and armored dwarf can get a lucky shot to the head with a bolt or a whip and cram his skull into his brain, one-shotting him.
I don't understand, though that is about right with anything DF related.
I just hope he dies the same death that all dwarfs deserve: liver disease.
The legend of Reg: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=65866.0
Atir Stigildegel, Legless Hero of Diamondrelic: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=83136.0

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile

Then again, anything fighting against cotton candy is guaranteed to get bisected.

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

Stoup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

For the record, Adamantine crossbows might not be a great idea, unless you're going for mobility. The heavier a crossbow is, the better it is to smash heads in with. And unless I'm mistaken, the only factor that affects how well a crossbow fires is quality.

franti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

A Titan made of a hard material, like Yellow Zircon, may be tough (from experience) but a titan made from flesh and bone will fall to anything (killed all my goblins, then got piked by a farmer ((yes, goblins)))
Adamantine, Steel, Pig Iron, Iron, Bronze, Bismuth Bronze, Platinum, Brass, Black Bronze, Billon, Rose Gold, Electrum, Bismuth, Aluminum, Gold, Copper, Tin, Sterling Silver, Silver, Nickel, Zinc, Lead, Nickel Silver, Trifle Pewter, Fine Pewter, Lay Pewter.

Corneria

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN:ACCEPTABLE][TRESPASSING:SHUN]
    • View Profile

Adamantine crossbows...? That is such a waste. Using a less limited material doesn't slow them down that much.
Also, Titans vary greatly in strength, from being 1-shotable by cats to being immune to basically everything.
Oh yeah: Nazis.  Now I lost the argument.  So you can't argue with me anymore.  Nyah.

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile

Adamantine crossbows...? That is such a waste. Using a less limited material doesn't slow them down that much.
Also, Titans vary greatly in strength, from being 1-shotable by cats to being immune to basically everything.

Didn't someone once get a Steel firebreathing beetle?
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I once had a jackal with deadly everything-rots blood. It was a titan, not a f.b., died fast, but killed near everyone.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

EddyP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Most of the 'special' creatures (megabeasts, FBs, titans) aren't actually very dangerous at all because you can just swarm them. The only thing to watch out for is syndromes from FBs.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions

Titans can have syndromes too, you know...
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

For the next titan, outfit your militia in copper.
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

mrtspence

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Depends on the material they are made of. I had a Blood Iron (modded material, think steel but heavier) tarantula stomp/bite the shit outta 5 axedwarves dwarves before going down.

katana

• Bay Watcher
  • EVERY TIME I POST PEOPLE RUN AWAY
    • View Profile

Didn't someone once get a Steel firebreathing beetle?
I remember someone had a steel cockroach in one thread. Nothing could actually kill it, and there were people who proposed putting it against hfs.
AND IF THIS FAILS MY IDENTICAL TWIN BROTHER WHO WILL APPEAR IN THE MIGRANT WAVE THAT ARRIVES AFTER MY DEMISE WILL REPLACE ME.
(Tldr: THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FRIENDLY FIRE SALT)

dragoncurse

• Bay Watcher
  • if patience.Huge = fortress.FUN.Huge
    • View Profile

You just lucky because you still have to meet a metal titan.

From my experiences, I even met a cotton candy titan. I don't know if it was a gen bug, but I was pretty fucked, because almost nothing could beat it, and I had no silver.
:3

(name here)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I had a four-legged Zinc FB with deadly gas, the first stage of which caused massive bleeding and the second stage of which was indeterminate on account of complications arising from the first stage in the form of death in all cases.

Fortunately, I had an endless tide of well-equipped swordsdwarves. Most of them died before the third/fourth wave finally managed a kill shot before joining the dead.
Only in Dwarf Fortress would you try to catch a mermaid to butcher her and make trophies out of her bones 
Pages: [1] 2