Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: How to make a modification to Mining skill?  (Read 2348 times)

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: How to make a modification to Mining skill?
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2011, 06:31:09 pm »

The 'flashing through every stone type' behavior and the unnamed 'soil' and 'rock' are signs of duplicated or otherwise broken raws.  Did you accidentally duplicate a raw file, possibly by making a backup file in the same directory?
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2011, 08:05:46 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Alright, here is a bit more info. I tried adding [Deep special] to non-layer stone ores and some very weird things began to happen. The first thing I noticed on embarking in a new world was that some of the un-farmable stone tiles that are scattered across the surface layer were flashing rapidly. I put the cursor over one and saw that the description was flickering through all the different stone and soil types. The second thing I noticed was that all the layers of soil below the surface had been replace by generic "rough-hewn rock wall", which left "rock" stones behind when mined. This rock could be used to build workshops and constructions, but not turned into crafts or furniture. Each z-layer of rock seemed unique though, as they would show up separately in construction lists. There were also no trees on the map.

Things stayed strange when I dug deeper. Some of the ore veins and clusters had been replaced by  soil, and gold was showing up in small clusters instead of veins. The cyan ore formations had been replaced by random ores that I had added [deep special] to.
That sounds like you used the DF equivilant of LSD, duplicated raws.
(Why do we always compare duplicate raws to LSD and not...uh...never mind?)

I think that I will try creating a world normally, embarking, them altering the save's raw files. That may give the stones, gems, and ores I want to preserve the 100% mining chance I desire without altering layer and vein formation during world creation.
That just might work.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2011, 08:21:16 pm »

The only adverse effect I can think of is that the other races may not bring the ores for trade, but I don't think that's a big deal really.

Aerval

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2011, 07:10:25 am »

What you could do is making all dwarfs legendary in mining from the beginning. To do so you need to go into raws/creature_standard and than add to the caste descriptions (search the document for "Now we'll declare the specific castes.") the line:
[NATURAL_SKILL:MINING:15]

Problems:
  All Dwarfs are legendary from beginning and have the profession name "Miner"
  Higher Mining Speed due higher Skill level

Not sure whether it helps you.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2011, 06:55:28 am »

Giving dwarves a high natural mining skill brings a few other problems as well. Mining is a moodable skill, so until the dwarf ends up with a higher skill, you'll always mood out to mining(using a stonecrafter workshop from memory). Unless you'e got it set to legendary or higher, then I don't really know what happens.

Not only that, your dwarves will kick arse at combat from the very beginning. Which can be pretty un-balancing. I guess you could just not use picks though. Or have an entire workforce of quick, high skill miners that stomp in combat...... Your choice really.
It's a game. Have fun.
Pages: 1 [2]