Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: [OOC] Darwin's Island [Before the Dawn of Time] OOC topic  (Read 3381 times)

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
[OOC] Darwin's Island [Before the Dawn of Time] OOC topic
« on: August 17, 2011, 10:27:17 am »

Hello! Here I invit you to post biology is-it-possible questions and looooong-term project, wich cannot be achieved before a looong time, and thus do not have their place into the main topic, for Darwin's Island [Before the Dawn of Time]!
just there:http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91226.0

At the moment i post this topic, we are a single cell, struggling to survive in a thick ooze, wondering if our potential-next-food is edible or not.

Here's some ideas we started to discuss in the main topic, and we should debate about it there ( it's more appropriate, i thought.)

-The method we used to eat our first "prey" (vegetal cell) rised some ideas about becoming a parasit. Something that eat you from the inside. perfectly good. How could we acchieve that? Will we stay unicellular or attempr pluricellularism? What would be the exact method? How can we achieve sentience this way?

-The cells we just spotted may be poisonnous (or not). even if not, the use of poison have been rised. How to use it? Wich type of poison?

-Someone proposed symbiosis with the "green-little-bacterias". What about it?

-We will eventually become something pluricellular (altough it's very far from us). What will we look like?

And anything that come in your mind...
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

Tidal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PET_MICROSCOPIC]
    • View Profile
Re: [OOC] Darwin's Island [Before the Dawn of Time] OOC topic
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2011, 09:26:20 am »

You may want to link to this back in the main thread and have the OP put a link in the first post.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2011, 09:28:15 am »

Question: Exactly how does our super-organism adopt the genetic mutations of other species?  In multicellular creatures this normally isn't possible, but since we're like the size of a single cell, it might be possible.  Do we literally just reach in and grab their genes for our own?  I had a bit of an interest in evolution some time ago, and this forum game has restarted it. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Tidal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PET_MICROSCOPIC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2011, 09:29:52 am »

I suppose we could unravel both of our genetic materials then mix them together. The results of which may not be pretty...

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2011, 09:33:36 am »

So we can splice our DNA because we're that small?  Not really sure if this is true...but it does sound cool. 

Next Question: what does our organism prey on?  Are we a carnivore, herbivore, or omnivore?  I'm hoping this doesn't turn into Spore, or anything, and I'm hoping that our dietary choices are more complicated.  Perhaps, if we became a multicellullar organism, we can do something like, hematophagy? 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2011, 09:41:10 am »

currently, at our evolution level (unicellular), herbivore or carnivore is nonsense. Even distinction between animals and vegetals is thin. All unicellular organisms have same basics components, and thus are all edible (if not poisonous). Only in high multicellular organisms distinction between herbivores and carnivores appear (mainly cause vegetals have a lot of complex sugars, like cellulose, and animals a lot more proteins. Digestive enzyms are distincts.)
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Full Sig

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2011, 09:44:38 am »

currently, at our evolution level (unicellular), herbivore or carnivore is nonsense. Even distinction between animals and vegetals is thin. All unicellular organisms have same basics components, and thus are all edible (if not poisonous). Only in high multicellular organisms distinction between herbivores and carnivores appear (mainly cause vegetals have a lot of complex sugars, like cellulose, and animals a lot more proteins. Digestive enzyms are distincts.)

Thank you.

Community Discussion: How would you guys want our organism to reproduce?  We are currently the only organism of our species on the planet, and if we want this game to continue, we need to breed.  I don't think sexual reproduction is possible as a single-celled organism.  Asexual reproduction seems to be nice.  There were also other suggestions ( which I very much support ) of becoming a virus.  Namely, our organism would attack other cells, and use their bodies as a source of nutrients and biomass in order to spawn clone of ourselves.  Do you guys think this is a good idea?  Or do you have a different agenda in mind?
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2011, 09:54:30 am »

Sexual reprod mean mixing DNA of two individuals to make another individual with unique set of genes. To keep number of chromosomes constant, it mean fuse+meiosis (order don't really matter.).

-Meiosis: we have pairs of similar chromosomes. in mitosis, each cell receive all chromosomes. in meiosis, only one on two (random). So taking two cells, making them meiosis, then fus new cells result on unique sets of chromosomes (2^[number of chromosomes pairs], so for humans its 2^24...)

So yes, sexual reprod is ONLY for multicells organisms. Unicells can only asexually reproduce (mitosis)
Full Sig

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2011, 09:57:55 am »

Sexual reprod mean mixing DNA of two individuals to make another individual with unique set of genes. To keep number of chromosomes constant, it mean fuse+meiosis (order don't really matter.).

-Meiosis: we have pairs of similar chromosomes. in mitosis, each cell receive all chromosomes. in meiosis, only one on two (random). So taking two cells, making them meiosis, then fus new cells result on unique sets of chromosomes (2^[number of chromosomes pairs], so for humans its 2^24...)

So yes, sexual reprod is ONLY for multicells organisms. Unicells can only asexually reproduce (mitosis)

...the whole "can we sexually reproduce, or should our organism reproduce asexually" wasn't the question, the question was, what do we, the community, want our organism to do.  I wasn't asking about how feasible ( at the moment impossible ) sexual reproduction for our organism is, I was asking if people preferred either normal asexual reproduction or the virus method, or if someone wanted to suggest a different idea.  That's why I put "Community Discussion:" instead of "Question:" this time. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2011, 10:02:29 am »

we should go for splitting. like, you know, that film on aliens who ended up dieing because of hair shampoo.
they reproduced by mitosis, right?
from one two, from two four.
from four eight,
your grandmother i just ate.
from eight sixteen,
say goodbye to halloween.
i ate all the candy to get thirtytwo...
now i'm all out, to get you too.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2011, 10:03:25 am »

we should go for splitting. like, you know, that film on aliens who ended up dieing because of hair shampoo.
they reproduced by mitosis, right?
from one two, from two four.
from four eight,
your grandmother i just ate.
from eight sixteen,
say goodbye to halloween.
i ate all the candy to get thirtytwo...
now i'm all out, to get you too.

Hi shadenight, nice to hear from you, too. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2011, 10:04:00 am »

Oh. Okay. I proposed the "virus-like" method, so i +1 it.
But virus are not cells, so its different.

For us it mean enter in a cell (preferabbly a vegetal one, as they are about 10 times bigger than animals ones like us (and bacterias are about 10 times smaller than us)), divide inside it and eat it from inside to grow.
Full Sig

Tidal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PET_MICROSCOPIC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2011, 10:33:03 am »

Virus is probably the most efficient one for now. Plus, it can net us more mutations. I'd rather be a K-strategist in the long run though.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2011, 10:44:48 am »

I'd prefer r strategy, cuz if we keep an infestation strategy it will be mostly not compatible with a K strategy. And infestation is cool.  :P
but we'll see.
Full Sig

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2011, 08:58:36 am »

Community Speculation

About the green organisms, what do you think they are?  Some have argued that they are plants, others have argued that their color is due to a poisonous chemical used to ward off predators, and even a few have wondered if they were some sort of organism within a much larger organism, perhaps like an immune system or parasites.  Post your realistic and/or crackpot theories! 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
Pages: [1] 2