Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Games about the Irish revolution  (Read 6075 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: Games about the Irish revolution
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2011, 01:29:51 pm »

Again...I'm pretty sure the OP is talking about what is called the Anglo-Irish War or the Black & Tan War (1919-1921), not any of the various Irish rebellions, most of which were far after the CK and Medieval: TW timeframes anyways. Ireland was technically an independent kingdom up until 1801.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Kolbur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2011, 01:48:14 pm »

It has this:
... that I would like to play a game about Ireland's struggle for independence from the British. ...
So what's the problem?

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2011, 01:52:44 pm »

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the only conflict that would be called The Irish Revolution is the one that established the Irish Republic.
It has this:
... that I would like to play a game about Ireland's struggle for independence from the British. ...
So what's the problem?
There are tons of games depicting general conflict between the Irish and British but none come to mind as far as depicting the recent one. Almost any strategy game at all that has Ireland would qualify if OP wanted that.

Kolbur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2011, 02:01:42 pm »

Amazing how you seem to be able to read minds over the internet.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2011, 02:07:29 pm »

It is both a burden and a gift.

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2011, 03:11:01 pm »

I'd love to play a board game or game of this with someone. As the English (As i'm English!). Sadly I don't think Irish politics/struggles are mainstream enough to be taken note of my game makers. I bet there's a board game of it though!

Good summery page of said revolution.

http://www.thames2thayer.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Irish_Revolution_1916-1923

Would be useful for anyone making a game :D

*found this about the 1798 uprising.
http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/42463/irlande-1798
**This looks good also
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Britannia_%28board_game%29
***Now this looks really cool(AAr of a miniature easter uprising game)
http://ambushalleygames.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=833

You could also try Paradoxs' Victoria: Empire under the sun, it runs through the 1830s-1936 and you can be Ireland. This isn't that fun however(if youre playing it for the Irish struggle).
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 03:28:07 pm by Deadmeat1471 »

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2011, 08:51:37 pm »

I hear the Crying Game is good, but I've never played it.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2011, 09:24:02 pm »

First off you'll have to decide what part of the Irish revoultion you want.
Second there wouldn't be many parts of the Irish revoultion(s) that would be very suitable for a game.
[I'm remembering all this off my own memory so some facts may be wrong]

Irish Rebellion of 1798: bloody rural guerrilla warfare fought across the country with many different uprisings raging from great victories to terrible defeats on both sides. Gameplay would be interesting and could either take place as a tactical squadbased fps with period weapons to a more rts game. Due to the different battles fought across the country there could be many scernios to explore from both sides. The atrocities could also be explored in depth.

Easter 1916 Uprising: Very little in the way of violence untill they captured the post office. Rebels dug trenches when English police came, got sniped untill surrender. Not a very good bases for a game, would have terrible gameplay.

IRA and the troubles in Northern Ireland: A very very touchy subject which any non political game developer would want to avoid like the plague. Although a lot of indepth themes could be explored and the gameplay interesting (guerrilla/terrorist warfare) I wouldn't see any games like this being made soon.

OperatorPants

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2011, 02:50:38 am »

Whenever I want to play a game about a very specific conflict I just play a pen/paper RPG with friends using the Twilight 2000 rule book.

So far I've done zombie apocalypse, rhodesian police, south african mercenaries, even 1920s gangster stuff.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2011, 03:15:34 am »

A PnP about the Irish Revolution? Sounds... So strange it could work! :D Sign me up!
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2011, 09:53:59 am »

It's kind of a stretch (kind of like how that's "kind of" an understatement), but you can play as IRA in Jagged Alliance 2.  She's pretty useless.  My knowledge of the whole "modern history and current events" thing is pretty non-existent, so I don't know if that reflects the Irish Republican Army accurately or not.

You can make a character, too, so uh, I guess if you really wanted to, want you could name yourself like Darby or something, and mutter about potato famines, leprechauns and Tayto or whatever to yourself if, you really wanted to.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 10:01:07 am by Farce »

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2011, 05:53:09 pm »

I think the closest you can get to this, is to play Europa Universalis 3, then go to the point in time where England took over the Irish, and fight back as Ireland. Not a repeat of history, but you could go on and conquer England in return  :P

Little

• Bay Watcher
  • IN SOVIET RUSSIA, LITTLE IS YOU!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2011, 03:54:27 am »

A PnP about the Irish Revolution? Sounds... So strange it could work! :D Sign me up!
Blizzard is managed by dark sorcerers, and probably have enough money to bail-out the federal government.

OperatorPants

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2011, 03:23:28 am »

I have to admit that I'm not very knowledgeable about the IRA and its rich history, but I'd love to host a PnP game over an IRC client if enough people became interested.

It'd give me an excuse to deeply research the IRA, all I know is that they love Armalites and hate Brits lol.
Pages: 1 [2]