Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Games about the Irish revolution  (Read 6071 times)

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
Games about the Irish revolution
« on: August 17, 2011, 07:33:29 am »

There have been recently a number of requests for games with specific content (zombies, dragons, food management). So I decided, after reading up on the subject, that I would like to play a game about Ireland's struggle for independence from the British. Anything goes: RTS, FPS, political sim...
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: Games about the Irish revolution
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 08:40:33 am »

Only thing I could find was a boardgame still in development:
http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/36792/black-and-tan-war

Down in the discussion section of the designers recently posted that they're looking for some playtesters.

As far as computer games, there appears to be absolute zilch. From a military point of view, there weren't enough real "battles" to base a game around. Could make for an interesting mod for some games though.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Saint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011, 09:12:29 am »

Anyone remember the guy who wanted a game based on counting tree rings?
Yeah, I'm sorry OP but real specific requests like these have either little or no results, guess we're on the little side though so you're in luck.
Hazordhu 2: Dwarven recruits wanted!
You should all be ashamed of yourselves.  The obvious solution is to chain the baby up at the entrance as a kobold detector.

chicagohotdog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2011, 10:30:47 am »

Well, Medieval 2 total war Kingdoms expansion has a campaign set in the British isles.  It's not terribly historical, and the focus isn't so much on the Irish, but you will feel just as irritated with the British as the Irish ever did.

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2011, 10:36:01 am »

Medieval 2: total war and knights of (or &) honour both allow you to start in Ireland during that period. Perhaps you'll like it :)

de5me7

• Bay Watcher
  • urban spaceman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2011, 11:21:47 am »

i would be very suprised if a vivid game focused on this conflict was developed in anything other than a small time indie context. This conflict is still very politically volatile in Northern Ireland, and the UK press. i.e. people are still murdered in Belfast, in name at least, under the banner of Republicanism or independance.

Theres an okish film called the Wind that Shakes the Barley about this conflict.
I haven't been able to get any vomit this release. Not any I can pick up, at any rate.
Swans, too. Swans are complete bastards.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2011, 11:44:31 am »

Anyone remember the guy who wanted a game based on counting tree rings?
Yeah, I'm sorry OP but real specific requests like these have either little or no results, guess we're on the little side though so you're in luck.
This doesn't sound real specific at all.

Medieval 2: total war and knights of (or &) honour both allow you to start in Ireland during that period. Perhaps you'll like it :)
That's off by a thousand years or so.

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2011, 12:44:57 pm »

I can already imagine an Irish Guerrilla game similar to LCS...
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2011, 12:46:17 pm »

One that consists of kidnapping people, loading their vans up with explosives and telling them if they don't drive it into the nearby british checkpoint that you'll torture their wife and children to death?
*Hugs*

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2011, 12:50:17 pm »

Knights of Honor allows to to do this if I'm not misstaken.
You might want to ally with France and/or some other enemy of the English/British to stand a chance.
Just be careful who your kingdom befriends or make enemies with, since enemies of your friends or the friends of your enemy might decide to turn against you.
On the other hand, some kingdoms might just make an enemy of you for apearantly no reason at all.
But if you want to go alone, it's quite possible to do that.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 12:51:57 pm by Ultimuh »

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2011, 12:50:36 pm »

One that consists of kidnapping people, loading their vans up with explosives and telling them if they don't drive it into the nearby british checkpoint that you'll torture their wife and children to death?
I never said it would be a good/mainstream game.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2011, 12:57:24 pm »

Where alignment runs the gamut from Free Irish to Pommie Bastard:P

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2011, 01:00:02 pm »

Where alignment runs the gamut from Free Irish to Pommie Bastard:P
That makes me think someone could make an LCS mod for the Irish Revolution.

Flying Carcass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2011, 01:10:38 pm »

You know, I had the same thought as the OP when I was taking a course on modern Irish history. A game based on the Irish revolution (and maybe also the Troubles? Although as others have said, that's still a volatile situation despite the Good Friday accords... but hey, controversy sells games... or gets them banned in Australia  :P...) with GTA-esque gameplay could be fun.

Kolbur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2011, 01:20:10 pm »

Crusader Kings

You can start as an Irish dynasty and try to create the Irish Kingdom. If you start as a lowly count and the English Kingdom fares well it can be pretty hard/take some time.
Pages: [1] 2