Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dwarves in weird places  (Read 1510 times)

Korva

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarves in weird places
« on: August 17, 2011, 03:04:09 am »

So I know that sometimes a dwarf, especially a military dwarf, will go hang out someplace they've been recently, made a kill, did a job, the works. Still, I'm scratching my head at some things that happened in my current fort. Got a siege coming right now, and found some dwarf about to get slaughtered outside the walls in a spot she's never been to or even remotely near. Apparently, she's looking for a place to sleep. It's just an engraver-in-training when I have several legendaries, so she won't exactly be missed, but I'm still bewildered. At least her case is actually physically possible, however. The other one is not. I somehow had a miner get stuck in the drawbridge-trench of my third cavern entrance twice ... while the drawbridge was down, covering it. There was just no way to get down there. Fortunately for him, I noticed it the first time and dug him out before he would have starved (then walled the rescue tunnel off again, of course). The second time, during a big siege, he was not so lucky.

Earlier in the fort's life, I found a sheep on a roof with no way up or down, but since that was after a few attackers got in, I suppose it was a case of the known bug (?) of creatures sometimes dodging a z-level upwards.

Anyone else found a dwarf way out where they have no business being, or mysteriously teleported to an inaccessible spot?

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves in weird places
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 03:16:17 am »

I've had dwarfs end up on the tops of walls. Walls that care completely cut off from the rest of the fort. From what I gather something attacked them and then they dodge UP a z-level onto the wall.
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

dr_random

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011, 03:48:20 am »

So I know that sometimes a dwarf, especially a military dwarf, will go hang out someplace they've been recently, made a kill, did a job, the works. Still, I'm scratching my head at some things that happened in my current fort. Got a siege coming right now, and found some dwarf about to get slaughtered outside the walls in a spot she's never been to or even remotely near. Apparently, she's looking for a place to sleep. It's just an engraver-in-training when I have several legendaries, so she won't exactly be missed, but I'm still bewildered. At least her case is actually physically possible, however. The other one is not. I somehow had a miner get stuck in the drawbridge-trench of my third cavern entrance twice ... while the drawbridge was down, covering it. There was just no way to get down there. Fortunately for him, I noticed it the first time and dug him out before he would have starved (then walled the rescue tunnel off again, of course). The second time, during a big siege, he was not so lucky.

Earlier in the fort's life, I found a sheep on a roof with no way up or down, but since that was after a few attackers got in, I suppose it was a case of the known bug (?) of creatures sometimes dodging a z-level upwards.

Anyone else found a dwarf way out where they have no business being, or mysteriously teleported to an inaccessible spot?

I am regularly annoyed by my dwarves on flat maps. They frequently venture out to the map edge with absolutely no business. No hunting, drinking, animal caring or whatsoever. Maybe the are blinded by the sun? Too drunk to fin the entrance again after relieving their bladders outside? I don't know.
In my mountain forts I find this behaviour to be more seldom.

CriticallyAshamed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2011, 05:22:15 am »

I find the idea of a dwarf managing to jump a solid 5 metres onto a wall to dodge a bite from a badger quite amusing.

Eoganachta

• Bay Watcher
  • The Second Mouse Gets The Cheese
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2011, 05:54:24 am »

I am regularly annoyed by my dwarves on flat maps. They frequently venture out to the map edge with absolutely no business. No hunting, drinking, animal caring or whatsoever. Maybe the are blinded by the sun? Too drunk to fin the entrance again after relieving their bladders outside? I don't know.
In my mountain forts I find this behaviour to be more seldom.

I had the same thing on a flat volcano swampland map where I had a few Dwarves run to the left edge and then run up and down as if the pathfinding had broken. They came right after a while. It might have been because they were outside during and after alerts were activated.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
Giant Cave Spider Wagons. Where are your Gods now Goblins?
This minecart has more kills then every other weapon in the mountainhomes.
Quote from: Broken
every place i go ends covered in vomit
Quote from: Karnewarrior
WHERE DO YOU EVEN GET ENOUGH BABY FOR A PICKAXE? THERE ISN'T ENOUGH BABY.

Korva

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2011, 12:29:10 pm »

So odd aboveground meanderings do not seem to be too uncommon. In fact, I had another one I'd forgotten about, some twit had wandered off "into the far wilds" for no reason as well and got mauled by giant badgers. What about the apparent teleportation to completely inaccessible spots -- no dodge-related incidents but cases like my miner ending up in the same fully covered trench twice? That one really baffled me.

Yumil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2011, 12:53:32 pm »

I was wondering what made my military dwarves to go off to the exterior walls, blinded by the sun (all my dwarves are cave adapted) whenever they  had nothing to do...only to get killed by the inevitable gobbo ambush....

...So its a know problem, well, nothing can be so perfect with dwarves after all, they will allways find some stupid way to die, either with our help, or without it.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2011, 12:58:12 pm »

(looks at title) Y'know, mist fortresses aren't exactly normal places to...
(reads thread)
...Ah.
No clue.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Mount

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2011, 01:27:17 pm »

!!WILD SPECULATION!!

If it's possible for dwarf to dodge directly UP, is it possible for them to dodge directly DOWN if the space below is not solid stone? i.e. through a drawbridge and into a pit?

Arekis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2011, 03:12:24 pm »

I've noticed "up on a wall" behavior in a fort where I had a single-tile-wide exterior corridor.  It would happen *after* a massive siege when I would send all the idlers to pick up the siege loot.  Don't dwarves duck and climb over each other when they pass in a 1-tile-wide path?  Would it be possible for a bunch of dwarves in one tile to do that so that eventually one climbed up on a nearby wall?

Korva

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2011, 04:35:17 am »

Dodging down a z-level through a closed drawbridge? Hmm. It might be one explanation, but unless I missed something, there wasn't anything there threatening that miner. He had no injuries, there was no combat report, nor a corpse nearby.

Dwarves evading each other up a wall might also be possible, though I haven't seen it happen personally. There has to be SOME explanation for why yours do it, and that sounds as good as any other if there were no enemies nearby.

milaga

• Bay Watcher
  • No Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2011, 01:56:21 pm »

I think animals can be born up a z-level. I had a puppy on my walls. I only discovered it was there because it gave a few short alarm barks before suffocating in it's own blood thanks to goblin ambushers. Saved the lives of some woodcutters, that puppy did. Still, that's expected of a puppy, so I see no reason to send any dwarves up there to bring his remains back down.
Thanks for that...  now I have the image of Urist McBooger walking up to me with a creepy smile and asking me if I want a "dwarven shower".

Kattel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2011, 10:18:53 pm »

with dwarfs going down seemingly through floors and bridges. ive had this when there over ramps. my speculation is that the path finding finds a path b ignoring the fact that there's a floor or bridge over the top.

ive also had a mason dodge UP onto a wall before. didnt even know he was up there till he died of thirst, but looking back through the reports his last entry was dodging a charging draltha.

i like to think he vaulted the draltha up onto the wall.
Invaders: Our arrows will blot out the sun!
Me: Then we will fight in the SLADE.
I fear that each time it tolled out the hour, some part of our souls would mournfully yearn: "A puppy should have died just now, but didn't."

drilltooth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2011, 10:35:59 pm »

sounds like another reason to incorperate acess ramps onto walls...
Pinkie pie cancels cook: taken by mood.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2011, 10:37:16 pm »

Yesterday, I was checking around my fortress entrance, and a mason was standing over a wall which has no way to be acessed.
Didn't look for reports, but I bet he dodged a wolf or something. He was hungry/dehydratated but I managed to rescue him by building a ramp there, real quick.

Ninja dodging skills, I guess.
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.
Pages: [1] 2