Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Waterfalls vanish in reclaim mode  (Read 856 times)

Angela Christine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Waterfalls vanish in reclaim mode
« on: November 02, 2006, 02:21:00 am »

I'm pretty sure this must be known, but I couldn't find anything searching here or in the wiki.  When you reclaim a fortress all the waterfalls turn into dead ends.  Vaguely phallic looking dead ends, or maybe that's just me.    :p  It isn't an awful bug since losing the "good" misty waterfalls of eternal happiness is balanced by losing the "bad" waterfalls with the mini-chasms of fisherdwarf death.  Odd though.

Frugal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Waterfalls vanish in reclaim mode
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2006, 10:27:00 am »

Oh, so that's why I don't have waterfalls in my fortress.  I had barely gotten my first anvil when a bunch of rhesus monkeys attacked and stole both my picks, so I decided to reclaim.

Oh and you can just put bridges over the chasms, right?

Silveron

• Bay Watcher
  • Arichect of Destruction
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2006, 12:09:00 pm »

Correct. Added bonus of the dwarves being able to get right into the mist.

PNB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2006, 04:23:00 pm »

I make all of those areas into sweet dining halls.
HY DO THE DOGS KEEP EXPLODING?

Turpitude

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2006, 07:13:00 pm »

also confirming this bug, I mentioned it in the IRC room a few times and I think Toady knows about it.

Waterfalls are *awesome* areas to place statue gardens.  Dwarves become so happy with that combo.

hat sphinx of cement and aluminium bashed open their skulls and ate up their brains and imagination?

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2006, 10:47:00 pm »

Yeah, it's not even a bug so much as a workaround -- I intentially remove the waterfalls after you lose, for adventure mode, since adventure mode perspective changes can't handle the rotations.  The waterfalls aren't currently replaced when you go to reclaim.  Eventually I'll store waterfalls differently so that they don't need to be removed.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2006, 11:16:00 pm »

Hrm.  Is there ever going to be a way to show waterfalls in adventure mode?  They look nice, so it's a shame that adventurers miss them...
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2006, 11:39:00 pm »

I'm not sure...  using "south" as "down" has bad synergy with the Z coordinate, but there's no reason it can't just fudge things a bit.  The way it's done in dwarf mode now predates the Z coordinate though, so the downward waterfall squares you see are actually defined that way.  This needs to be changed -- it could then make all open air squares "south" of an actual waterfall into apparent waterfall squares, and if you were to climb down the chasm, assuming this is possible, you'd find the mists and pool below, along with upward waterfall pictures (at least you'd have upward waterfall pictures on those squares you can't otherwise see).  Doing special effects in ascii is kind of dangerous since every square is very valuable real estate for conveying information, but it seems salvageable.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!