Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Reverence  (Read 2281 times)

Agorp Stronden

• Bay Watcher
  • Dead by Dawn
    • View Profile
Reverence
« on: August 17, 2011, 12:32:51 am »

If reverence is added in DF, Dwarves should hold various ceremonies for their individual gods and goddesses. We all know Armok is the ultimate expression of Dwarven metaphysics, so a grand shrine to Armok should be erected and musical Dwarves could sing among the halls and to their own gods'/goddesses' shrine(a little place of worship maybe erected within a Dwarves room -- a new buildable item called the shrine made from a mason's shop).

Now that is from here: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=76466.0

Another facet of every Dwarf is their worship of some individual god or goddess and all Dwarves recognize Armok as the ultimate truth. Reverence would be a great addition to the immersion of Dwarven culture. It would require new nobles, head priestly Dwarves with some philosophical skill who conduct an annual mass in the name of Armok. Shrines should be erected to minor deities, maybe statues can be built in the image of known deities and these would act as suitable places for those Dwarves to worship. The quality of the shrines, statues, *zones* of worship(meaning the skill of philosophy, and quality of any furniture within the zone) confers happy thoughts to Dwarves. I'm sure I can think of a few more expansions upon this, but let's here more from the rest of you.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Reverence
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 02:40:29 pm »

Armok's a gag. Shrines for individual gods would be nice, and self-appointed priests would be interesting nobles.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011, 02:48:52 pm »

Armok's a gag. Shrines for individual gods would be nice, and self-appointed priests would be interesting nobles.

Armok, and religions dedicated to him, does show up in some of ThreeToe's stories. So it's not out of the question for him to actually make an appearance in the game somehow.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

drilltooth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2011, 03:34:45 pm »

building off minor artifacts/named items, would be interesting to see devout dwarfs occasionally declaring deity-relevant items as sacred relics. (sort of like how people will occasionally see the face of the virgin mary in a block of wood or whatever.) with the appropriate happiness modifers if it's lost. (although, if we allowed raw materials to get claimed in this manner, we'd probably want to pass a flag to compare the finished product against the deity's domains., for example: disiples of the god of helmets probably wouldn't mind their sacred iron bar being used to make one.)

and armok is indeed part of the lore.. started as the god of not-being-dismembered, and has ascended to a general overseer of conflict.. IIRC.
Pinkie pie cancels cook: taken by mood.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2011, 03:38:43 pm »

Ahhh. Another thread about the perennial favouite, devotion/religion.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Agorp Stronden

• Bay Watcher
  • Dead by Dawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2011, 09:33:05 pm »

I assume we all agree this will pass?[/|_||>\|_]

*Specs, check it.

Oh, but trust me, I agree with TOS. Those clips are legit.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 10:05:30 pm by Agorp Stronden »

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2011, 10:10:24 pm »

I've actually posted somewhere about making four temples to the Gods of the Elements--Water, Fire, Air and Earth--in addition to a mighty temple to Armok. Perhaps, Mephansteras, you could add religious stuff to the next release of Civilization Forge?

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2011, 10:35:20 pm »

I've actually posted somewhere about making four temples to the Gods of the Elements--Water, Fire, Air and Earth--in addition to a mighty temple to Armok. Perhaps, Mephansteras, you could add religious stuff to the next release of Civilization Forge?

Not much we can do with religion right now. Maybe some workshops or the like, but nothing that'll really do much for interaction with the dwarves.

BTW, there is a really good religion thread that might be a good place to move this discussion.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

sockless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2011, 12:41:45 am »

Armok doesn't make any appearance in the game, and shouldn't. It/he/she is just a DF inside joke, religion is fully procedural in DF.
Iv seen people who haven't had a redheaded person in their family for quite a while, and then out of nowhere two out of three of their children have red hair.
What color was the mailman's hair?

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2011, 01:28:19 pm »

Armok doesn't make any appearance in the game, and shouldn't. It/he/she is just a DF inside joke, religion is fully procedural in DF.
Armok, and religions dedicated to him, does show up in some of ThreeToe's stories. So it's not out of the question for him to actually make an appearance in the game somehow.
One of said stories is the newest, which is linked at the top of the forum.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2011, 01:46:00 pm »

The various characters and civilizations in the game serve the god of blood not so much because they worship him, but rather because the game is so gory.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Agorp Stronden

• Bay Watcher
  • Dead by Dawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2011, 02:02:18 pm »

God of Blood. God of Death, of Power, of Creation. Sounds like Dwarves would be into this guy. I assumed he was always just a Dwarven god. You silly atheists and your intolerance, just why should Dwarves not worship when they even have their own personal deity they acknowledge? Armok seems like the logical choice for supreme god or is he really not a Dwarven god?.

Drunken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2011, 08:13:47 pm »

This is already planned. From the dev list:

-Dwarves with similar religious views should formally associate at times
-Guilds and sects should be able to make demands for meeting halls, temples, specific furniture or the resources and time to prepare their own furniture, statues of specific gods throughout the fortress, etc.

There is also in the distant future the Deity arc:
Have religions in the game correspond to forces or deities and let you play one and do whatever you like, possibly restricted by your defining characteristics and geography.

See also: Bloat344, Bloat376, Bloat377, Bloat382, PowerGoal64, PowerGoal75, PowerGoal82, PowerGoal86, PowerGoal90, PowerGoal105, PowerGoal109, PowerGoal113, PowerGoal118, PowerGoal122, PowerGoal125, PowerGoal135, PowerGoal139, PowerGoal141 and PowerGoal146 for some fun examples of what the fertile minds of the developers have come up with for religion.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 08:36:36 pm by Drunken »
A stopped clock is right for exactly two infinitessimal moments every day.
A working clock on the other hand is almost never ever exactly right.