Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Soap as a Stone  (Read 2340 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Soap as a Stone
« on: August 16, 2011, 07:18:56 pm »

What would happen if I gave soap the [IS_STONE] tag and added a reaction to turn soap bars into soap boulders? Would soap still be cleaning-useful? Would soap be useable for masonry, etc?
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 10:56:57 am by GreatWyrmGold »
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
Re: Soap as a Stone
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2011, 07:20:01 pm »

Would soap still be cleaning-useful?

I doubt it would be.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2011, 07:30:04 pm »

In that case, how could I make a reaction to turn soap bars into a soapstone material from the same creature, with the soapstone not being soap but being stone and otherwise identical to soap?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2011, 09:13:12 pm »

A little help please?
Sig

Stronghammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2011, 09:32:19 pm »

Hey

What you could do is create a custom stone reaction, that you could copy another stone to make the base. Then create a reaction that takes soap and then spits out the custom stone reaction.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2011, 09:35:23 pm »

Huh?

What I was thinking was making a soapsone creature material (I even made one--here:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
--and was thinking of making a reaction that would turn one bar of soap into one stone of the same species of soapstone.
Sig

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2011, 11:07:48 pm »

Just a heads-up, soapstone is a mineral that exists in real life.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soapstone
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

drilltooth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2011, 12:14:48 am »

yes... I'd been pondering poking around to see if it was in there.. and possibly making bars of soap appear inside it.
but then i decided it was a silly idea.
Pinkie pie cancels cook: taken by mood.

Nidokoenig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2011, 04:04:05 am »

Yes, that's doable. Add [MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:SOAPSTONE:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:SOAPSTONE] to the material template for soap, add [ADD_MATERIAL:SOAPSTONE:SOAPSTONE_TEMPLATE] to standard and chitin materials in b_plan_default.txt, then make a reaction like this:

Code: [Select]
[REACTION:MAKE_SOAPSTONE]
[NAME:Make stone from soap]
[BUILDING:SOAP_MAKER:NONE]
[REAGENT:A:1:NONE:NONE:NONE:NONE][HAS_MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:SOAPSTONE]
[PRODUCT:100:1:BOULDER:NO_SUBTYPE:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:A:SOAPSTONE]
[SKILL:SOAP_MAKING]

You should add [ITEMS_HARD] and [ITEMS_QUERN] to the material definition if you want to actually make anything with it, and [REACTION_CLASS:CAN_GLAZE] if you want to make pots.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2011, 08:19:53 am »

Yes, that's doable. Add [MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:SOAPSTONE:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:SOAPSTONE] to the material template for soap, add [ADD_MATERIAL:SOAPSTONE:SOAPSTONE_TEMPLATE] to standard and chitin materials in b_plan_default.txt,
CHITIN? Why? Ah, sorry, misread.
...then make a reaction like this:

[NAME:Make stone from soap]
[BUILDING:SOAP_MAKER:NONE]
[REAGENT:A:1:NONE:NONE:NONE:NONE][HAS_MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:SOAPSTONE]
That...that doesn't look right...It looks like anything with the material-reaction-product of Soapstone can be...ah. I'd rather just use soap bars, but this WOULD give chitin a use. (See above strikeout.)...anyways, and bars come in units of 1/150 of a bar.
Hm, I wonder if I could make a reaction to make chitin into a useable form of leather, while keeping it chitin...

You should add [ITEMS_HARD] and [ITEMS_QUERN] to the material definition if you want to actually make anything with it, and [REACTION_CLASS:CAN_GLAZE] if you want to make pots.
What do those do?
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 08:28:06 am by GreatWyrmGold »
Sig

Nidokoenig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2011, 09:29:44 am »

You add soapstone to the standard and chitin materials body plans, i.e. the lists of materials that normal creatures and insects draw from, because both of them list fats that can be turned into soap? This is so that any creature that uses the standard or chitin materials will have soapstone as a usable material. You could add a treated chitin material this way, too, and all you'd have to do is add the treated chitin token to the chitin materials list and add [MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:TAN_MAT:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:TREATED_CHITIN] to the material definition for chitin itself.

The reaction creates stones, which can then be used to make furniture, crafts, querns, millstones and such, which is what the item tags I suggested would allow, though because of the absorption value of soap, they'll need to be glazed to store liquids. You can make the reaction spit out whatever you want, I just thought rough chunks of it made more sense. Just change BOULDER to BAR and add [PRODUCT_DIMENSION:150] at the end of the product line to make soapstone bars instead. Check against the reactions in reaction_smelter.txt to see if you've got the format right.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 09:34:57 am by Nidokoenig »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2011, 09:38:45 am »

You add soapstone to the standard and chitin materials body plans, i.e. the lists of materials that normal creatures and insects draw from, because both of them list fats that can be turned into soap? This is so that any creature that uses the standard or chitin materials will have soapstone as a usable material. You could add a treated chitin material this way, too, and all you'd have to do is add the treated chitin token to the chitin materials list and add [MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:TAN_MAT:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:TREATED_CHITIN] to the material definition for chitin itself.
I read it too quickly the first time, and thought you were telling me how to make chitin ALSO makeable into soapstone.

The reaction creates stones, which can then be used to make furniture, crafts, querns, millstones and such, which is what the item tags I suggested would allow, though because of the absorption value of soap, they'll need to be glazed to store liquids. You can make the reaction spit out whatever you want, I just thought rough chunks of it made more sense. Just change BOULDER to BAR and add [PRODUCT_DIMENSION:150] at the end of the product line to make soapstone bars instead. Check against the reactions in reaction_smelter.txt to see if you've got the format right.
I was referring to the reagent, which has a "1" and not a "150" in the number slot. I thank you for your help and will fix it myself, then let you know if something doesn't work.
Sig

Agent_Irons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2011, 10:24:56 am »

yes... I'd been pondering poking around to see if it was in there.. and possibly making bars of soap appear inside it.
but then i decided it was a silly idea.

Do eet. Then add to S.L.A.D.E. They love that sort of thing.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Soap as a Stone-Reaction working
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2011, 10:35:47 am »

Okay...I am having a problem. I'm getting "stones." Reaction:

[NAME:Make soapstone]
[BUILDING:SOAP_MAKER:CUSTOM_S]
[REAGENT:A:150:BAR:NONE:NONE:NONE][HAS_MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:SOAPSTONE]

What is wrong? EDIT: Noticed one problem, fixed it, seeing if that was the problem. EDITEDIT: Yup, it was.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 10:56:38 am by GreatWyrmGold »
Sig

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2011, 10:59:00 am »

Okay, why is soapstone not working as stone? Raws:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Sig
Pages: [1] 2