Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: How many times have you reclaimed?  (Read 1141 times)

Clutzy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How many times have you reclaimed?
« on: August 16, 2011, 06:22:01 pm »

Curious lurker is curious. How many times have you reclaimed the same fortress?

Since the latest update I'm on reclaim number five of my fort Lashorbs. I don't know what siren song this fort holds in its bowels, but I keep going back to it. Even made three other worlds to look through for embarks, but here I am reclaiming again, even though I know there are at least a dozen goblins hanging around (I *will* figure out the military at some point dammit!). So, what is the fort you keep going back to? How many times have you reclaimed a fortress?

Eddren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How many times have you reclaimed?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2011, 06:33:06 pm »

What part of the military *exactly* do you need help with?
Ah, my dwarven heart beats with fierce pride for this.  I can't take it anymore!  I have to go do something profound.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2011, 06:45:54 pm »

I've never reclaimed. Not really sure why, I guess I just like that new fortress smell.

ohgoditburns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2011, 06:47:33 pm »

I'm not a fan of reclaiming. Usually I quit because of FPS death or mining mistakes. The one time I reclaimed, it was due to ogres thrashing my military. I had to immediately rush to create coffins because of all the corpses.
The landscape routinely being soaked in flammable fluids somehow seems less than benevolent.

Masta Crouton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2011, 06:59:29 pm »

i hate the like year of cleanup.

Clutzy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2011, 07:13:52 pm »

What part of the military *exactly* do you need help with?

I'll say right out that I'm along the lines of Napoleon in charge of a navy. My squads drop like flies even though I have them (actively) train and I'm sure they're not going out empty handed. I figure I need to wise up on tactics and check through some tutorials. However, on the bright side I've been getting better at traps haha. Selling off goblins to the merchants nets a nice profit.

d-b-c has been an Armok-send. I remember the first time a few years back when I had to individually reclaim everything.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2011, 07:25:47 pm »

d-b-c has been an Armok-send. I remember the first time a few years back when I had to individually reclaim everything.

Oh I remember that time too.. But as time goes on and I have been more used to doing that, it's still a hassle.

I do often reclaim when it's a project I'm working on that I want to be completed.

Masta Crouton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2011, 07:28:15 pm »

yeah, i do that, but just the hauling with seven dwarves. dwarfs. more than one dwarf.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2011, 07:40:20 pm »

The first few years of the fortress are the best for me; I've only reclaimed a couple of times at all, never more than once for a fortress. I rarely make anything special that I don't want to lose.

yeah, i do that, but just the hauling with seven dwarves. dwarfs. more than one dwarf.
It's dwarves. Unless you're talking about deformedly short humans.

ISGC

• Bay Watcher
  • Hatters Gonna Hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2011, 07:40:42 pm »

the hauling is pretty awful on reclaiming
I've only done it two or three times, but I always only start reclaiming all the items once I have a sizable amount of idle dwarves
Fifteen men on a dead man's chest, Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2011, 03:35:19 pm »

Never. Well, I tried it once, where I had accidentally sent a few builders to their deaths; completely unintended. I abandoned but then decided to try again anyway and it was just too depressing. :'(
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

magic dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2011, 05:22:32 pm »

I've successfully reclaimed once. The fortress died due to me letting it run without taking care of food and drinks.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2011, 05:39:19 pm »

With my current fort I'm on my 4th reclaim and am heading towards a 5th.

My first four deaths were because I refused to dig for adamantine and didn't set up any weapon traps. This attempt I've lasted a lot longer because I finally gave in and made some adamantine suits for my army. Currently they're dying to goblin lightsabers lashers.

I refuse to let this fort die because it has damn near everything I want. Huge amount of adamantine, volcano, nice cavern areas, and a clown castle. Oh, and it's on a glacier.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2011, 05:40:59 pm »

I reclaimed once. Never again. Unless I've spent less then a year there the amount of clutter will be catastrophic, taking years to gather everything back to their old stockpiled.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2011, 06:22:40 pm »

It's dwarves. Unless you're talking about deformedly short humans.

Actually the word "dwarves" started with Tolkein, with the original one being dwarfs. But both are correct.

Back to the point, I usually reclaim when I feel like the fortress isn't quite done yet. Running DFLair before whatever kills your fortress helps, too.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?
Pages: [1] 2