Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: what posseses dwarfs?  (Read 1341 times)

flieroflight

• Bay Watcher
  • Worship the nightmare
    • View Profile
what posseses dwarfs?
« on: August 16, 2011, 02:54:29 pm »

when a dwarf gets posseses, what do you think does the possesion?
my guess is either the raw spirit of the artifat causes it to posses a dwarf and make itself.  either that or its harbringer and his habit o-ASSUMING DIRECT CONTROL!
Bay12 doesn't have moral event horizons, it has goals.

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: what posseses dwarfs?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2011, 03:36:30 pm »

I imagine it will eventually be -something- perhaps a ghost in some cases, perhaps a dark local spirit in others, or a god. Personally, I like to imagine forgotten beasts, sealed within the bowels of the world, tempting dwarves to be ever successful, knowing it breeds the greed which causes them to delve deeper...deeper....deeper..... to free them.

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2011, 03:39:31 pm »

The beard's dark side.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Cheveux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2011, 03:40:55 pm »

The beard's dark side.
This, the voices that comes from under or Armok

Sscral

• Bay Watcher
  • привет
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2011, 03:44:20 pm »

Sometimes they're possessed by the spirits of the elves you tortured to death, which is why they make candy warhammers.
A three year old just made an artifact doll from the skull of his dead kitten. I can only assume the mind control lasted past death.
"Look, mommy!  Now I can play with Mister Fluffles forever!"

FoiledFencer

• Bay Watcher
  • keepin' it feudal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2011, 04:27:19 pm »

The very essence of the artifact forcing itself into physical existence through the hands of the dwarf.
"Lithrushâst Kúdlizat: Fetidfur, the slick notch, a grizzly bear leather loincloth. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is studded with zinc, decorated with grizzly bear leather and encircled with bands of grizzly bear leather. This object menaces with spikes of grizzly bear leather."

Ipwnurmom221

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2011, 04:36:04 pm »

Dwarven stupidity becomes so powerful, it can sometimes manifest itself into a living spirit. This spirit of stupid possesses dorfs to build cassiterite querns, and give them names like "trustpicks but buds of distrusting". This spirit possesses dorfs to build glass shields. This spirit gives dorfs the understanding of how to make a shapeless statue with countless images of itself. And toads.
"I haven't seen my parents in nearly a year, I can't move a foot in any direction, I spend all my days being attacked by animals, and I've been forced to drink sheep puke- wow that's a nice floor grate!"

Gergination

• Bay Watcher
  • The world is on fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2011, 05:03:16 pm »

Their inebriation reaches such a level that they reach Dwarven Nirvana, which is basically a state in which their booze soaked liver can no longer sop up the insane amounts of powerful liquors they're ingesting and they finally become truly drunk.  In this state they are much like a human when drunk, coming up with many incredibly bad ideas and very rarely thinking of something profound.
With [SLOW_LEARNER], dwarves probably don't sit around and talk anymore. They just stand in the same corner altogether, staring at each other, sticking their bearded lips out trying to make sounds. And giggling when someone actually says a whole word.

KtosoX

• Bay Watcher
  • Playing DF since 18.08.2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2011, 05:23:51 pm »

Souls of dwarfs from worlds reforged by Armok himself. Most of them die on the anvil of creation, but some legendary dwarfs with strong will survive the process, and exist as bodiless phantoms. Trapped within the circus for eons, they are cursed with never-ending thirst that burns them from inside like a wild fire. Every second of their afterlife they spend hating the living, thinking of ways to break the candy seal that keeps them inside. When set free, they bring terror and lag to the world. Since they cannot affect the physical world, they seek out weak minded dwarfs. Once possessed, the phantom tries to take control over the dwarf, but to no avail. The only way for the soul to leave the host body, is to create a soul artifact. Such artifacts are created by merging a powerful soul with matching materials. Once the merging is complete, the possessed dwarf will have close to no memory of what happened to him. But if he fails, the phantom will fill his mind with visions of death and sorrow till they both die.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 08:04:22 am by KtosoX »
Build a grid of floor grates above the entire city. Draft a squadron of masons and bomb the crap out of the city with falling constructed walls.
The Geneva Convention would like to have a word with you.
Quote from: Aleksanderus
I have clicked "d" in a forge and look what it did!

elf-fondling human

• Bay Watcher
  • 4-d ftw
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2011, 05:35:21 pm »

I think they just get lucky.
That didn't last long, huh? Shame, cause binary's cool. Anyway, an important message: I will be changing my names on every username based thing I use to ASCIt on/around 10/1. Consolidating, I guess you could say.

franti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2011, 09:01:36 pm »

Or unlucky.
Stupid freakin Lead Battle Axe.
Adamantine, Steel, Pig Iron, Iron, Bronze, Bismuth Bronze, Platinum, Brass, Black Bronze, Billon, Rose Gold, Electrum, Bismuth, Aluminum, Gold, Copper, Tin, Sterling Silver, Silver, Nickel, Zinc, Lead, Nickel Silver, Trifle Pewter, Fine Pewter, Lay Pewter.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2011, 11:31:26 pm »

Considering how often it happens to my dwarves and how haunted my fortress is,  I'm guessing it's the local dead dwarves messing with the live ones.  The images of elves on half of them are a bit concerning though...

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2011, 04:08:05 am »

Just Armok having a laugh.
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

Raging Mouse

• Bay Watcher
  • The mouse has become enraged! *DOUBLECLICK*
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2011, 03:33:44 pm »

It's normally not an issue -death from alcohol poisoning comes much, much sooner, in most creatures- but unknown to most, the drunk-sobriety scale is actually a circle. Drink enough, and you approach sobriety from the other side... which is very bad, because that means you are experiencing the opposite of drunkenness (which is not sobriety, that's merely a thin line in the middle of the true scale) -you are knurd. Luckily, dwarves have a built-in instinctual defense thanks to generations of natural selection: They cope with this mind-ablating state by focusing all their attention on one monumental task. Unfortunately, neural feedback means they now must complete the task to exit their state of knurdness.

Crazy Cow

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2011, 04:07:39 pm »

It's normally not an issue -death from alcohol poisoning comes much, much sooner, in most creatures- but unknown to most, the drunk-sobriety scale is actually a circle. Drink enough, and you approach sobriety from the other side... which is very bad, because that means you are experiencing the opposite of drunkenness (which is not sobriety, that's merely a thin line in the middle of the true scale) -you are knurd. Luckily, dwarves have a built-in instinctual defense thanks to generations of natural selection: They cope with this mind-ablating state by focusing all their attention on one monumental task. Unfortunately, neural feedback means they now must complete the task to exit their state of knurdness.

I believe that is a reference to Terry Pratchett, if I am not mistaken. +1 cookie, you win the thread.
Pages: [1] 2